Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Ajax unstable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ajax unstable

I built my app. Grids were wroking well. I ventured into security, never able to get security to work. Tabled it, went back and remove security.
    Now Ajax does not work. The 'save' button in the detailed view no longer save new record or updated record, giving be a dreaded cryptic message like this, which I have no clue what to do next:

ajax-error.jpg

Any Aphaholic help will be much appreciated.

Re: Ajax unstable

you are not really giving enough information here.

if you create a new grid component does it work?

if you create a new project in the web control panel and copy the component that is giving the error to the new project and then run it from the new project does it work?

Comment

Thanks Selwyn for your direct response. To answer your two questions:
      1. I created a brand new, simple grid to use the same table. It then worked.(my grid took a while to built, the new test grid does not have all the linked grid contents)
      1a. I had a past experience like this. Once the ajax error started, it is hard to get it out, it seemed. Last time I had to rebuild the grid from scratch, then it worked, but it had to be started from scratch, and that takes time and I cannot be sure when this error will hit me again.
      2. I copied the 'corrupted' grid to a different project just like you mentioned, run it from the other project, same error.

Perhaps I can described the sequence of events that led to this issue:
      * Everyting (all grids and pages that contained the grids) worked well as they are supposed to. I was a happy camper.
      * I activate the security framework to finish the touches. During testing, I got 403 error which had not been resovled still. To not got hung up on it, I removed security, to continue work on new features.
      * After that, the grid failed as I described. The captured screen is what I got when the error occured, and the new record was not created. (nor can existing record be updated)

A few other pieces of information:
      * My grids consists of a parent grid with a child grid and a grandchild grid. The affected grid is a child grid. It has a read only grid and an editable detailed view
      * The 'corruption' seemed to relate to a (date) field in the detailed view. (I removed that field, then it worked ok. I add it back, then it failed again).
      * I am using Windows 7, Alpha5 V11

Does the error message give you any clue as to what might had happened?
      Last edited by Delta Force; 04-26-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

First, if you are getting a 403 error, it is almost always caused by a component that doesn't have security assigned or has the wrong security. The help has an explanation HERE. If component security is the suspected cause, a simple solution for testing is to open the security configuration, go to Customize Options, and uncheck "Enable component security for 'virtual' pages". Then publish the security settings. Depending on you security cache setting (Explained HERE), you may need to stop and restart the server to see the change. If you are testing locally, the cache is automatically refreshed after publish. if the problem goes away, revisit how the component security is set for the component that generated the error.

The JavaScript error that you can't set the 'display' property can come from a couple sources. Basically, it occurs when there is some client side show / hide expression on an object that doesn't exist on the component.
        Make sure you are using the latest build. There have been a few bug fixes that might impact the error. There were some cases where a client side show hide was placed on a control, and then some server side action such as security removed the control at runtime. The client side show hide would still try to change the 'display' attribute of the control, but the control was no longer on the page. You would get the exact error you reported. This should not occur in the latest builds.

Comment

Thanks Jerry for the quick response.

What you said gave me a direct to head. It is starting to make sense. I will do what you recommended to track it down.
          Will keep you posted of findings.

Comment

New findings:
            1. I applied the patches. Now at build 2567 (was 2549)
            2. I removed all 'hidden' properties from relevant fields. The display related ajax error is gone.
            3. However, the next ajax error, apparently the one that forbidded record to be saved, appeared. See attached:

ajax-error2.jpg

Comment

It would be easiest to answer this is you send us the component and a backup of the database so that we can run the component on our own machines and duplicate the problem.

Comment

Do you have a direct email address that I can send them to?

Comment

Send it to [email protected]
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Just sent two zipped files to the above address.

Thank you.

Comment

I want to thank Selwyn for speedily helping me resolve the problem. While we don't 100% know the exact cause, we have a good suspect, and most importantly Selwyn has shown me a way to get rid of the dreaded error so that I can move forward.
                      The way to get rid of the error is to delete all field rules, then re setup the field rules again.

The suspect is that I may have used an improper function in the grid or in the autocalculate field. While the function was accepted by the system, and even worked a few times as desired, it seemed to have left some bad impact that caused the error to pop up later during run time.
                      My lesson learned would be to choose the function carefully. As of now, my app seemed to work just fine.

Thank you to the Alpha team!

Comment

addendum.

the error appears to be because a default value expression of

now()

was defined for a date field.

now() returns a Time value (really date/time)

what should have been used for he default value was

date()

which returns a date value.

Comment

Selwyn,

Thanks for the addemdum. If you don't mind, could you also look at my new thread regarding 'table lookup in reverse"?
                          The built-in java actionscript does not seem to allow me to specificy the lookup to start from the last record instead of the first record.
                          Is there a way to specify that?

Comment

Working...
                          X