Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Server not serving pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server not serving pages

Hi,
    A couple of days ago I installed the Alpha Five Web Application Server v11 (WAS11), configured it for port 8080, activated my license and set it up with a dynamic DNS Provider (www.No-IP.com). I then executed my application from a browser, calling the domain provided by No-IP. The WAS11 served the requested web pages perfectly. But the next day and today, I have not been able to make it work. As far as I know, I have not changed any setting in the router, firewall or WAS11.

To see if my router and my firewall allowed the request to come in, I tested with an "open port check tool", http://www.canyouseeme.org/. canyouseeme.org/ says it can see my service (the WAS11 service) at the specified IP address and port. Anyway, I have checked and re-checked my router and firewall settings to see if anything was amiss. All seems well.

In case it was a problem with No-IP, I have also tried typing directly in the navigation bar my IP address and port (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/index.a5w). After a while, the connection just times out.

If I try to access locally, WAS11 serves the pages without a problem. It is as if the WAS11 didn't want to serve pages when the request comes from the Internet.

I have no clue on how to fix this. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Best regards,
    Felix

Re: Server not serving pages

A long shot. Do you perhaps have an vpn connection active at the box where the Was resides which wasn't active when the Was was serving pages. I encounter that some vpn connections block the acces to the computer and some don't. Never figured out why :-)
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

hello

another long shot
      is port forwarding to the computer that houses the was done properly and is functioning still.
      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
      mysql backend
      http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
      [email protected]
      1 914 924 5171

Comment

are you sure that you have put an exception in your firewall for the WAS executable ?
        Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Ger,
          I do not use VPNs nor have any knowledge on how to set up one.

Gowindan,
          I guess port forwarding is OK since the WAS11 service in my PC can be "seen" from the Internet by http://www.canyouseeme.org/ .

Frank,
          I have told my firewall and my router to allow requests from the Internet to access my WAS11 service. I suppose that to verify it works, http://www.canyouseeme.org/ is enough (or maybe not ... ?). I've checked and re-checked both firewall and router to see that everything is OK.

Another piece of information: when I verify with http://www.canyouseeme.org/ that my service is "visible" from the Internet, an event is logged in my firewall and also an event is logged in my router. When I call my application by typing in the browser's navigation bar my dynamic IP plus port 8080 (i.e. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/index.a5w) nothing gets logged, neither in the firewall nor in the router.

Best regards,
          Felix

Comment

Felix -

I am no "expert" on these sorts of issues, but basic "Troubleshooting 101" would indicate an issue with your dynamic DNS provider.

- it was working perfectly when you initially set it up, therefore all items mentioned here are a non-issue
            - then it quit functioning without any intervention by yourself; the only "auto-intervention" would be by your dynamic DNS provider as, if I am not mistaken, that is their function; to update a dynamic IP so that it appears "static" to the "outside"

This is where I would be concentrating my efforts. Additionally, how can you call your dynamic IP (assuming you have determined it's current value) when you are running a service like no-ip? Again, I am not up on these sorts of things, but it does seem this is where the issue lies.

Cheers!
            Lyle
            Cheers!
            Lyle Chamney
            http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
            Websites rebuilt with WordPress
            http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
            Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
            http://snifflevalve.com
            WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

hello

another look at this:
              first eliminate dynamic DNS provider. don't just settle for canyouseeme.org findings.
              save all the files republish all the files and data.
              check from your computer and browser type in the address in the browser bar with :8080 and see if it works. if it does alpha five is working
              then from another computer do the same, if works well then port forwarding and firewall are okay. if not then port forwarding and/or firewall needs to be fixed.
              then from the other computer reach your WAS using DNS service - if that does not work then you know where lies the problem
              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
              mysql backend
              http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
              [email protected]
              1 914 924 5171

Comment

Server ALREADY serving pages!!!

. My server is now serving pages, but the forum editor does not allow me to format my reply which is a bit long so I'll just send it as soon as the editor allows me. Regards, Felix .

Comment

Server SERVING pages!!!

Lyle,
                  I also suspected the dynamic DNS provider to be the guilty party since they had an outage ... with the mail service. Anyway after extensive testing/fooling around, I got it working again: the problem was in my router. It is a relatively old model (six years is just old or qualifies for prehistoric?). This router is the entry point to a LAN with several PCs and is in charge of distributing packets coming from the Internet to the corresponding PC, which I guess is a rather usual setup. However, for reasons unknown to me, it seemed unable to send requests from the Internet to the Alpha Five Server in my PC.

Among the myriad options in my router was Assign the public IP address of a connection to a device. I gave it a try and assigned the public IP to the PC that has the Alpha Five Server and the problem was fixed! (After assigning the public IP to the PC with the server I had to execute ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew in a command prompt).

Since I am not knowlegeable in networks, one thing that threw/throws me out of track was that using www.canyouseeme.org the service was visible from the Internet, but when requesting the index.html page, the request would time out with the page not being served. I still ignore the reason. When requesting the index.html page from inside the LAN, it was served. So I started suspecting the router.

Answering your question: How can you call your dynamic IP (assuming you have determined it's current value) when you are running a service like no-ip? Well, what I do is not use the service = bypass No-IP.com: I open a tab in my browser and type in the navigation bar my IP (since it is dynamic I first have to find out what it is: there are several websites that provide you with it, or alternatively, look in the router) plus the port. For example, say my IP is 101.102.103.104 and the port is 8080. I have to type 101.102.103.104:8080/index.html .

Gowindan,
                  What I did was quite similar to what you suggested. Thank you for the ideas.

A little apology: I had stated that the first day it worked and the next day it didn't, with me changing nothing. So, as Lyle pointed out, then the obvious "baddy" seemed to be No-IP. But I forgot to mention that the first day the router misbehaved and I had to reset it to factory defaults and then reconfigure the router. Since I reconfigured (I think) the router with the same values it had previously, I did not even mention the event. In fact, I even forgot about it. My only - lame - excuse was that plenty of other things happened that day ... "selective memory".

Thank you all for the time and effort of your assistance.
                  Best regards,
                  Felix

Comment

Felix,

It appears that you have a dynamic public ip address.
                    Dynamic IP address make it possible for most people to get onto the internet.
                    When they log off, that IP address becomes available for someone else to use.

With that said, this is the reason most companies pay for a static ip address, or
                    use a service such as no-ip.com.

Typically, you would use some kind of domain name (www.felixservices.com).
                    Lets assume that www.felixservices.com has a dynamic address of 101.102.103.104 .
                    You (and your users) can access your application by going to www.felixservices.com.
                    This works fine, until your ISP changes your dynamic address to 101.102.103.110.

Now people trying to get to www.felixservices.com will not get the page they expect.
                    If you use a service such as no-ip.com, it monitors your dynamic address, and updates
                    the internet to let everyone know your address has changed to 101.102.103.110. This may
                    take several minutes, but is likely to be more efficient that you trying to do it on your own.
                    Gregg
                    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Server SERVING pages !!!

Hi Gregg,
                      Yes, I do have a dynamic IP address. And yes, your explanation is 100% correct. That's why I'm using No-IP.com, so that users from the web can type the same address (say) www.felixservices.com and reach my site even when the ISP changes my IP address from (say) 101.102.103.104 to 105.106.107.108.

Regards,
                      Felix

Comment

Working...
                      X