Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

***FRUSTRATED***** Application Server Stops working Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ***FRUSTRATED***** Application Server Stops working Daily

Thread: AppServerWorker8
    Line: 220 ParseHeaders = ParsedMimeDoc.ParseHeaders(Headers + crlf(2))
    An unhandled exception (c0000005) was generated.
    Execution Stack:
    0#1 evaluate_shared_private(
    0#22 OOhttpdServerClientMIME(ptemp,"AppServerMain")
    0#220 ParseHeaders = self.ParsedMimeDoc.ParseHeaders(self.Headers+crlf(2))
    Fri Feb 08 00:45:27 2013

Shared memory error at [parse] thread level ? stack conflict !?

Comment

Thanks, Joe. That's not good news.. I guess I'll go to Alpha support and see what I find out, too.
      Carol King
      Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
      http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Looking back at your Access log in post 73 I see you have a string of 20 page accesses in just one second. I checked the IP that was making the hits and it is not a bot, just a local address.

You know what will kill an A5 web application? 20 page accesses in less than a second (and sustained over a period of time.)

A human cannot make 20 page accesses in less than a second, so I think if you find out what machine is making those requests and for what purpose, you will have your cause.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

This ip# is on the blacklist see http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/86.132.85.35.html

Comment

So since I can see there are many alpha gurus in this thread I am going to dig it back up to hopefully get me over my server woes...

So just as the title of this thread says the application server hangs occasionally to the point where our site won't respond. I've turned on error logging but then I started having even worse issues because it was having issues actually reporting the error (specifically I believe it said it didn't recognize a5_reporterrortouser(), but I'm not 100% that was the name of the function). So I turned error logging off and everything is up and running again but the thing that I find odd is occasionally there are multiple instances of A5ApplicationServer.exe running in my task manager. I only have the single instance of alpha (on a zebra host machine) and I use AlwaysUp. The only reason I point this out is it seems every time the server starts to hang there is always multiple instances of the A5ApplicationServer.exe. Now as a nice confusing caveat, there are also times when there are 3-4 instances running and the site is working just fine, so I'm not super confident the is the issue but usually if I start ending the A5ApplicationServer.exe processes starting with the ones hogging the most memory the site will come back to form (obviously kicking off anyone that was on but at least the site is response again without restarting the server using AlwaysUp or restarting the entire machine when things get really crazy).

So the question is, should I be concerned with multiple A5ApplicationServer.exe processes running even though I don't have the machine setup to handle multiple WAS instances (i.e. I only have a single site running on this server)? I know that if this isn't a concern then I'm going to have to plunge into the error logs but that will have to wait until the weekend when there are less people on our site so I don't mess with our normal activity.

Comment

If you haven't configured multiple server instances then only one should be running. It suggests something else is causing multiple instances to run. Investigate and make sure only one instance runs when you reboot your server. Something is out of whack. And I don't think Alpha is causing this.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Yeah my guess was my actual server and not directly related to alpha (or possibly AlwaysUp)? When I reboot my server there is only one in there but sometimes a second just shows up shortly after (or it could be possible I'm triggering it when I open the alpha development environment? I know I've had the alpha development environment open on my server before with it only showing a singl A5ApplicationServer running but it's just another thought?

Comment

Take it out of AlwaysUp and reboot, see if a 2nd instance shows up.

A single instances of the developers will show one alpha5.exe *32 only. Even if you have turned the developer A5ApplicationServer on.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

The second instance is probably the Report Server. When you first start the server, one instance. As soon as you run a report it will start a second instance IF you have multiple cores, to run the report server.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Are you using SQL or DBF? Because there is an issue with using the report server with DBF when security is turned on - turn the report server off if that is the case to see if that fixes your problem.
                      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Using MySQL so that shouldn't be the issue, things are running a little smoother now (not sure if it was from something I did or zebra host did but I'll take it). The only other thing that is acting up is a service called splwow64.exe which helps with the "printing" of reports by the server (helps 32bit applications with printing on the 64bit architecture). This process sometimes grows to consume a lot of memory but support at zebra host reached out to alpha and apparently they aren't aware of anything that might be causing that so I'll just be keeping my eye on this process moving forward. If anyone else has run into this please advise on any solutions you came up with.

Comment

The number of available core at the CPU is there enough to run jobs like A5 printer server?

A5 is 32 bits !!! take notice or this might help https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2815716
                          Last edited by bea2701; 02-07-2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Yeah I've read those support articles, downloaded the specified update and edited the registry to put in a timeout of 30 seconds, I haven't seen any changes yet but I am hoping eventually that kicks in and takes care of the issue.

Comment

The option to run something else for the remote desktop like teamviewer because these two function spawn and might cause memory overhead [leak] remote printer spooling

Comment

Just to be sure I am understanding you on this, you are suggesting using the application Teamviewer rather than say Microsoft Remote Desktop to log in to my server as a way to prevent this memory leak from happening?

Comment

Working...
                                X