Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Building a website very soon need a little guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be clear - A single Alpha Application Server most certainly will NOT handle the stated load in the original post. Neither will a single IIS server or Apache server. No site with that kind of traffic runs on a single server of any type. You are going to require a load balanced cluster, no matter what server platform you choose.

Also as others have stated, you are talking about far more traffic than a T-1 or even T-3 could handle with a reasonable level of responsiveness.

Furthermore, if it is a business critical service, you will want some redundancy, which at a bare minimum means running the server cluster from a well-connected and dedicated Internet data center. If your business really depends on it though, this is something that should be hosted in multiple data centers in distinct geographic regions.

If this endeavor is something that you are committed to, but do not know how to architect a scalable and redundant architecture, Alpha Consulting Services can be engaged to gather requirements and design a suitable infrastructure for you.

As far as user limits and overall performance of the Application Server in general, we do not publish numbers because it is highly dependent on your hardware and Internet connection, as well as how you have built your application, so real-world number will vary greatly. As far as Steve's V10 tests, they are irrelevant in V11 because the server had been significantly enhanced and performance has been improved as a result. Some users have reported more than a 100% performance increase, but this too will vary with your specific application as well as hardware and connection.

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
    Or, you would run out of money scaling Alpha to meet that requirement.
    Anyone that needs to build a multi-server cluster for a large application should contact Alpha's sales department for project-specific pricing.

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
    Just a guess, but maybe 3000 users logging in or getting there within a minute. It is the type of app where people will typically be there for more than 10 minutes and people adding records will be on for more than 30 minutes.
    User concurrency in a browser-based application is significantly different than the desktop world. During "think time" - a user looking at a screen, inputting data, reviewing a report, etc. - they are not connected to the server in any way and are not counted towards concurrent users from a load perspective. Until they click submit or take some other action that contacts the server, they consume no server resources. Only then do the connect to the server, perform some action (e.g. log in, save data, get more records, generate a report) and then immediately disconnect.

This means that 3000 logged in users is not the same as 3000 concurrent users. The concurrent user count will be just a fraction of the logged in user count, though the fraction depends highly on your specific application and its use cases.
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 07-30-2012, 02:08 PM.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Re: Building a website very soon need a little guidance

Hi Dave,

Sounds like one heck of an interesting project!!

I have done a bit of work on a much much smaller scale doing load balancing and you could use Alpha if you wanted to. But within the scope of the application alpha would just be one component of a very large, insanely complex architecture.

No matter what application servers you are going to go with, you are going to need a huge load balancer to parcel out all the request to the various underlying app servers. So that will be a large cost right there. From there you are going to need multiple app servers (could be alpha, apache, whatever) to keep up with all of the traffic. And the server to host the SQL database is going to be a monster as well, especially since you will be pumping in tons of photos which are big data hogs (compared to regular text data). You will almost guaranteed need to setup SQL replication with master/slave architecture which puts you into a whole new ball park of complexity.

To build a website where 10,000 people can upload a photo at the same time is going to be super expensive - I doubt youtube has that many people uploading a video at the same time.

Are you sure about your user numbers estimates? Because you will be spending a ton of money to keep a website like that up, as well as the need to back up the database, which for that size will require complex back up strategies (different ones depending on SQL engine.)

Personally I think it would be great to build and maintain something like that so I hope you are able to make a go of it, but if the website doesn't make enough money you could be losing tens of thousands of dollars a month keeping it running (and the build will cost you tens of thousands as well if you need to hire help)

Cheers,

Scott

Comment

Steve,
        Thank you for the prompt reply. So it seems that the reasonable way to test the scenario I described is simply to carry it out, maybe by reducing the number of users to 10% or 20%, keeping the rest of requirements, and then extrapolate to arrive at a "more or less" result.

Regards,
        Felix

Comment

the input records are pretty straight forward with 25 image fields and a max of 60 fields. They will be on the server a maximum of 60 days and be deleted. some will be gone before that. The images will all be transformed and made smaller as they come into the site. They will be about 40k in size.

I have not done the math on most of the data to determine db size yet. I know it will be a lot.

Some of what Lenny said made me feel much more at ease.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I think from the other responses you can see why I don't enjoy discussing user capacity.
            Last edited by Steve Wood; 07-30-2012, 06:55 PM.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Understood Steve.

I am working on a solution for this. It seems the large expense is for the host servers. I am not going to try to host it myself. It was one of the questions I was asked and passed on an answer until I searched it out.

You can get space on a host that is very capable of handling it all. It is not cheap, but less than I thought it might be. It is great that I can start it out on a few and upscale it as it is needed.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

It was one of the questions I was asked...
                Ah, this is for someone else, not an application for you. I know you have a very strong business and sales background so don't take this like I am preaching, and I have no idea if this is accurate in your case -- but typically these opportunities come with little or no upfront or concurrent payment to the developer, and your income is to come out of future revenue. Don't know if that is the case here but if so you should ask if payment will be from net or gross revenue and how they plan to pay the $10-50 per user it will likely cost them for their 30,000 users. Though not impossible, it is very unlikely users are going to flock to the application in massive numbers no matter what it is.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

OK,

Hosting on cloud = mysql - 1gig mem per 10,000 people at a time - unlimited space or at least what I need - PHP - ajax -

It looks like I can start about 650 a month/less at pure start up and scaled to the 650.00 about 1 year and to a total for the numbers I gave at about 2000.00 a month.

Some of this they suggested and it includes load balancing and however many servers needed.

I am happy about that.

I already have a php generator for mysql and all the other tools I need but one.

I am happy, but know it will not be easy!
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

This sounds like something that should be on Amazon or Rackspace servers. Contact Zebra too.

I would also consider starting with a smaller group and ramping up in increments if at all possible.
                    Thanks,

Roderick Silva
                    [email protected]

About Me: rodericksilva.com
                    Twitter: rodericksilva

Comment

Thanks all for your input. It was very helpful. I had posted this on a few other forums and this one(as always) made the most sense.

Actually, it is my idea and my endeavor. It is so possible to succeed that it scares me. It definitely scared some others. The pre math done on a VERY under achieving score scared some. These were people who could have helped me in the developement and I asked no money from them.

I am going to go it by myself, even if it does take a few months longer. This opportunity will not die for years and I know the business side of the industry as well as how to promote it.

Even though it will generate around 13m per year at about 3 years(conservative), there will be a strong advertising fund to grow it more.

I do not intend to take anything out until then. I don't have to.

The corporate setup is being done, cpa is set, appropriate attorney's are set up, tools are set(mostly), Path to promotion is set, business plan(conservative) is set, money is 90% set, hosting is still between a few. I just have to write code. Db's are 80% done(some work left).

I will let you know when it is online and useable. You can then grade me. That is always helpful too.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                      X