Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need help with "New Record" button in grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with "New Record" button in grid

Hi
    I have a grid with a few fields, and a EditRecord button on each row. Clicking on that button will bring up a dialog to edit the current record.
    In this grid, i would like to remove the empty line for adding new records, and instead use a "Add Record" button. The button should do the following:

- add a new record to the grid
    - click on the "EditRecord" button of the newly generated row

How do i do that?

Thanks
    Jaime

Re: Need help with "New Record" button in grid

video d24 should be what your looking for here

Comment

Hi Lance
      Thank you for your help. I already use a lot the dialogs to add or edit records. The problem here is that i cannot use the dialog in "Add new record" mode, since i need to know the primary key upon entering, hence my request to *always* use the EditRecord button...

Comment

SQL or DBF? How is the key being set? What is the key? Auto Incremental? No new record rows displayed... hit a button somewhere on your grid (not on a row) that adds a new record row, then immediately opens the dialog to edit this new record. So... the key is being set and the record saved in the grid, then opened for edit in the dialog.

Comment

Yes David you got it right. It's mySQL and key is autoincrement

Comment

One way to get this done is to use a couple very nice features Alpha 5 puts in, but you have to be happy with how they work... and we have to cheat a little bit.

In the Grid, Update Settings, set Number of new rows to 1
            Next, in the Editing Properties, there is a New records edit style. Set this to ShowOnDemand.
            Check on Hide New Row after Insert.
            There's a property that reads New records button label, and you can set this, but it's not a button... it's a Hyperlink (unless there's somewhere you can change this, but I can't see it.)
            Check on Allow individual rows to be saved.

Next, in the Grid Properties, go to the bottom where it reads Javascript - System Events. There's an event in here named onNewRowsShow. In here put...

Code:
            {grid.Object}.setValue('G','CUSTNAME','-1','X');
            {grid.Object}.submitGridPartRow(-1);
            //place this Javascript in your code, and then reference the rowNum variable.
            setTimeout("var rowNum = {Grid.Object}._selectedRow;{grid.Object}.setValue('G','CUSTNAME',rowNum,'');$('{Grid.ComponentName}.V.R'+rowNum+'._UNBOUND_BUTTON_1').click();",2000);
            So, when the New Record hyperlink is clicked, Alpha shows the new row.
            Here's the problem... the new row is shown but we need to save it now, so that the auto increment will fire. So, write something into a field... here I'm writing X into my CustName field.
            Next, submit it. Now we have a key.
            And next, we have to cheat a bit more. Everything now happens too fast and all at once.

Our record has been saved, and we're on the current existing row, so we go get that row number.
            Now change the field CustName back to nothing, and then click the button.
            But, we have to delay everything a bit, in order to let the data submission happen. So we wrap these statements in a setTimeout and delay everything for a couple of seconds.

Try it and see how it works for you... then you can start seeing how to make it better.

EDIT: Forgot to make the button click variable
            Last edited by Davidk; 07-31-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Hi David
              Was going to write you i was getting all the time a "Method not supported" error of some sort in the javascript, but luckily the 2 seconds delay you put showed me the reason.
              When running the code, i see the 'X' get into the field and the record is saved, then the delay of 2 secs, then the error. I noticed that the newly entered row, while waiting for the click to trigger, *was not selected*. So i did a test in a grid where i already had 1 record, selected it, then clicked on the "Add new" link and voila, no error, but of course the record that shows up for editing was the selected one, not the newly added. What javascript does select the newly saved record right after submitGirdPartRow(-1) ?

Thanks for your great help!!
              Jaime

Comment

Hey Jaime,

We must have some different settings on the grid because my newly saved record is, by default, always the current, selected record after it's saved. That's why I didn't have any code in there to set the current record.
                Setting a current record is a bit tricky because you don't really know what the latest record is. There is a grid method for this... {grid.Object}.setSelectedRow(rowNum) but you have to know the row number. You could try putting this into the setTimeout statement.

So... if you comment out the whole setTimeout statement, and run your grid, adding a new record and submitting it... your current record is not record just added? If not, why is it that way on my system, under Live Preview, Firefox and Chrome?

Comment

Maybe the fact this grid is a linked child grid has something to do with it?
                  I will comment the timeout and check with 1 record then with many records to see what's going on with the current record. Will report back

Jaime

Comment

Ok the problem is that it's a linked child grid. Upon adding the new record, the first record is selected ( maybe a refresh of the parent is the cause ? )
                    Anyway, is there someway , before the setttimeout, to set the focus on the newly added row? In my case, i entered 'new' in the carid field, so is there some way in javascript to search for 'new' in the carid field, select this row, then go on with the settimeout call?

Jaime

Comment

Working...
                    X