Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Chart Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Control

Hello all,
    I was really excited when alpha five released the Chart Control which is to be used in the dialog. But I must be missing something, I am wanting to setup my DBA with dashboards using chart control.

But i cant seem to understand how to develop a chart from a TABLE that will give me useful information. I have watched the videos, but they use Static data in a series. Which is not much use if your building a dashboard appearance as the static data does not give a updated graph by itself.

So I have tried developing a report from a single table it hold thousands of records -

The idea of a dashboard will tell the user how many records belong to them and how many of these record are "completed" or "open"

But when using the data I need to summarize the Records by how many are "completed" and how many are "open".

E.g. A pie graph so when the user looks at their graph it shows percentage of records that belong to them that are "completed" and how many are "open" respectively.

But I must be missing something as I cant seem to work this out? Any ideas or answers would be appreciated.

Regards

Rick.

Re: Chart Control

100% agree - I posted on this months ago -there is nothing in any video or manuals/wiki that explains how this is achieved, though I was told it can be done!

Comment

Hi

You probably need to use custom series based on one or more sql queries. See Videos : FP11_DLGCHARTS 3 How to use custom series.

Robin

Comment

Originally posted by Foodtester View Post
        Hi

You probably need to use custom series based on one or more sql queries. See Videos : FP11_DLGCHARTS 3 How to use custom series.

Robin
        I watched each video at least 3 times each, I would love to hear from anyone who can give me step by step instructions how to achieve this using a SQL database (not DBF)

Comment

Andy

In my case I have a single line chart which utilises various options and presents test results. Most of it hangs on 2 xbasic functions which contain the SQL. I will post these two functions so you can see whats involved- I will have to abridge them first because they are rather long (due to the number of options).

This first function sets up the data for the line graph series: x = Result of Test, Y (or Category) = Date + Lab Ref No

Code:
          function getData as c (e as p)

'This function gets info from the dialog to build the appropriate query.

Dim MyShift as C
          MyShift = e.dataSubmitted.pCode   'Product Code
          Dim MyClient as C
          MyClient = e.dataSubmitted.pClient  'Client Code
          Dim sDate as D
          sDate = e.dataSubmitted.StartDate   'StartDate
          Dim eDate as D
          eDate = e.dataSubmitted.EndDate  'Enddate
          Dim MyTest as C
          MyTest = e.dataSubmitted.TestToGraph  'testfield
          Dim MyDescription as C
          MyDescription = e.dataSubmitted.ProdDescr
          Dim TestDescription as C
          Dim MyBasis as C
          MyBasis = e.dataSubmitted.Base_On

DIM cn as SQL::Connection
          dim flagResult as l 
          flagResult = cn.open("::Name::LabPortal")
          if flagResult = .f. then 

end 
          end if

Dim Args as sql::Arguments
          Args.Set("VShift",MyShift)
          Args.Set("vClient",MyClient)
          Args.Set("vsDate",sDate)
          Args.Set("veDate",eDate)
          Args.Set("vTest",MyTest)
          Args.Set("vDescr",MyDescription)

'Specify if you are using Portable SQL syntax, or not
          cn.PortableSQLEnabled = .t. 
          dim sqlStatement as c 

Dim MyCaseSelect as C
          MyCaseSelect = MyTest + MyBasis

Select
          'This is a set of micro statements   (There are many selects- so I just show a few here)
          Case MyCaseSelect = "M1xCodeasis"  ' use select to define sql used

sqlStatement = <<%sql%
          SELECT DATE_STARTED,SAMPLE_No,Round(Log10(M1),2) FROM sqllablog  WHERE searchcode = :vShift AND CLIENT_CODE = :vClient AND DATE_STARTED BETWEEN :vsDate AND :veDate AND M1 IS NOT NULL
          %sql%

Case MyCaseSelect= "M1xCodeLike"

sqlStatement = <<%sql%
          SELECT Date_Started,Sample_No,Round(Log10(M1),2) FROM sqllablog  WHERE searchcode LIKE CONCAT('%',:vShift,'%') AND CLIENT_CODE = :vClient AND DATE_STARTED BETWEEN :vsDate AND :veDate AND M1 IS NOT NULL
          %sql%

Case MyCaseSelect = "M1xDescrLike"

sqlStatement = <<%sql%
          SELECT Date_Started,Sample_No,Round(Log10(M1),2) FROM sqllablog  WHERE DESCRIPTION LIKE CONCAT('%',:vDescr,'%') AND CLIENT_CODE = :vClient AND DATE_STARTED BETWEEN :vsDate AND :veDate AND M1 IS NOT NULL
          %sql%

end select

'Execute the Query which was chosen by the select statement

flagResult = cn.Execute(sqlStatement,Args)
          if flagResult = .f. then 

cn.close()
          	end 
          end if 

dim rs as sql::ResultSet
          rs = cn.ResultSet
          'Now, dump the contents of the ResultSet to a variable txt

'The data series is separated by pipes where data(1)=datestarted, Data(2)= SampleNo Data(3)= Result.
          ' In the chart definition these txt is Series1 and the sub series are eg: MyDate,MySample,MyResult

dim txt as c "" 
          Flag = rs.nextRow()

while flag

txt = txt +rs.data(1)+"|" + rs.data(2) + "|" + rs.data(3) + crlf()

flag = rs.nextRow()

end while

'Now, close the connection 
          cn.close()

getData = txt

end function
          The Second function is similar but defines another series which allows control of the chart title there is no SQL involved, just data from the dialog:

Code:
          function getTitles as c (e as p)

'This function builds Series2 which is the information used in the graph title. It gets information from the dialog

Dim MyShift as C
          MyShift = e.dataSubmitted.pCode   'Product Code
          Dim MyClient as C
          MyClient = e.dataSubmitted.pClient  'Client
          Dim sDate as D
          sDate = e.dataSubmitted.StartDate   'StartDate
          Dim eDate as D
          eDate = e.dataSubmitted.EndDate  'end date
          Dim MyTest as C
          MyTest = e.dataSubmitted.TestToGraph  'testfield
          Dim MyDescription as C
          MyDescription = e.dataSubmitted.ProdDescr
          Dim TestDescription as C
          Dim MyBasis as C
          MyBasis = e.dataSubmitted.Base_On

Dim MyBrand as C
          MyBrand = e.dataSubmitted.Brand_or_Type

Select
          Case MyTest = "M1"
          MyTest = "Total Count (Log cfu/g)"

Case MyTest = "M3"
          MyTest = "Coliforms (Log cfu/g)"

end select

'Defining graph titles

getTitles = "Graph of: " + MyTest + " For: "+MyBrand+" " + MyDescription +"(Prod Code: "+ MyShift +")"

end function

Hope that makes sense
          Last edited by Foodtester; 11-06-2012, 05:34 AM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

Hi, back to my original question! I am using alpha dba not SQL!

I actually created a new summary table to give me the summary info from the original table! This works as expected, but the summary table is only accurate for when the created! Is there a way to create a summary table that automatically updates???

Or a way to run the code to recreate the summary table prior to viewing the dashboard???

The chart control is great and works well, but unjust haven't worked out how to use to my advantage!

Any ideas or suggestions??

Regards

Rick!

Comment

Been thinking!

Taking your original Alpha dbf table you need a count of Total Records and a count of completed records for a given client. I think you should use a custom series and you will need to write an xbasic function which returns your series. Something like this:

function mydata as c (e as p)

Dim Totalrecords as N
              Dim CompletedRecords as N
              Dim MyClient as C = Session.YourClient

TotalRecords = dbcount("YourDBFTable", "Customer_Id", MyClient)
              CompletedRecords = dbcount("YourDBFTable", "Customer_ID .and. Completed = .T.", MyClient)? (Not sure of syntax or if works - maybe there is a better A5 function/method) Count(lookup)?

MyData = 100*CompletedRecords/TotalRecords +"|" + (100-(100*CompletedRecords/TotalRecords) (This would be your 2 part series say Series1 subseries complete,notcomplete Complete|NotComplete

end function

Think this would avoid creating a summary table, then refresh the chart periodically.

Robin

Comment

In the Dialog component, go to Properties > Data Series and create the series definitions that access your data.

The Chart component will ONLY display your data, but will not sumarize or analyze it.

In other words, you should start by having a SQL query (a view if you use SQL Server) that shows the info you need in the way you need:

Code:
                Record Status    Record Quantity
                Open                     1234
                Closed                  635
                From this series, the Chart component will (easily) create a display.

The Cart component itself, has no sumarizing or totalizing features.

Comment

Thanks for the reply...

Thankyou "Foodtester" - I will have to play with this idea and see if it works. (I like your thinking)...

Also thanks for the reply "Rnoguera" but I'm using Alpha dba not sql. As far as i know you cant do this in alpha dba? thats whey I was playing with the idea of creating a summary table, but couldn't find a way to work this as the summary table needs to be recreated everytime, in order to gain "up to date" record summary.

I will try some of the suggestions above and see how it work out.

Comment

Hello I'm back again.

I have been playing around with the above suggestions, but cant seem to work it out. I have come up with the follwoing code:

DIM TestClosed as C
                    DIm TestOpen as C
                    DIm TestOngoing as C
                    Dim MyData as C
                    DIM Totalrecords as C
                    Dim Location as C

if eval_valid("e.rv.V.R1.Facilityname")=.f. then
                    Facilityname = "House1"
                    else
                    Facilityname = e.rv.V.R1.Facilityname
                    end if

Location = Facilityname

Totalrecords = dbcount("cip_tbl","Fname_C",Location)

TestClosed = dbcount("cip_tbl","Status_C","Closed")

TestOpen = dbcount("cip_tbl","Status_C","Open")

TestOngoing = dbcount("cip_tbl","Status_C","Ongoing")

MyData = TestClosed+"|"+TestOpen+"|"+TestOngoing+"|"+Totalrecords

end function

This is sort of what I'm trying to acheive, but still missing the mark. I would somehow really like to return the following from the CIP table.

Total | Status | FacilityName
                    20 open House1
                    10 Closed House 1
                    2 Ongogin House 1
                    30 open HOUSE2
                    0 Closed HOUSE2

etc.

I know Im a bit off with my function, but I just learing and playing around with ideas, but unfortualey have come toa full stop.....

Any suggestions woudl be thankfully appreciated.

Reagrds

Ricky

Comment

Just a couple of things:

1. You dimmed your variables as C but i think dbcount will return a number.

Try TestOngoing = Str(dbcount("Whatever")) to return a string.

Also try putting debug(1) before your end function. Then add button to your dialog to call you function- if you press it you will then be able to see what your function is doing which may guide you.

Robin

Comment

Thank you Foodtester.

I will make the alterations and keep trying..

Comment

I now have the Following,------

Dim TestClosed as N
                          Dim TestOpen as N
                          DIm TestOngoing as N
                          Dim Totalrecords as N
                          Dim Location as C
                          Dim MyData as C

Facilityname = "Admin Aged"
                          else

end if

Location = Facilityname

TestClosed = dbcount("cip_tbl","Status_C","Completed")
                          TestOpen = dbcount("cip_tbl","Status_C","Open")
                          TestOngoing = dbcount("cip_tbl","Status_C","Ongoing")

debug(1)

end function

MyData = TestClosed + "|" + TestOpen + "|" + TestOngoing + "|" + Totalrecords

What I woud liek to do is filter the DBCount by the "LOCATION" as well as wehter they are "Compelted, Open or Ongogin"

eg I have tried this but it wont accept - TestClosed = dbcount("cip_tbl","Status_C.and.Fname=Location","Completed")

Any ideas how I can furhter filter the Dbcount???

Comment

Hello all, HORRAY I finaly have this working....

Thank you all for your suggestions, it has taken a little while but each step I got a little closer...

Just in case anyonw is interseted this is the code I came up with. I swapped Dbcount for Tablecount and was able to get my formula right.

I am now addicted... this has been so much fun. :-)

The Code.

Dim TestClosed as N
                            Dim TestOpen as N
                            DIm TestOngoing as N
                            Dim Totalrecords as N
                            Dim Location as C
                            Dim MyData as C

Facilityname = "Red Ward"
                            else

end if

Location = Facilityname

TestClosed = tablecount("cip_tbl","Status = 'Completed'.and.Facility_Name = '" + Location + "'")
                            TestOpen = tablecount("cip_tbl","Status = 'Open'.and.Facility_Name = '" + Location + "'")
                            TestOngoing = tablecount("cip_tbl","Status = 'Ongoing'.and.Facility_Name = '" + Location + "'")

MyData = TestClosed + "|" + TestOpen + "|" + TestOngoing + "|" + Totalrecords

'debug(1)

end function

thanks...

Comment

Working...
                            X