Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Prevent New Record If Date Already Exists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prevent New Record If Date Already Exists

How does one prevent a user from entering a new record if a record with the same date already exists?
    I am trying to limit new record entries to only one per day for a particular table.

Stephen
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Re: Prevent New Record If Date Already Exists

hello
    you can check result set nextrow() and see if exists, if so do not allow insert.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
      hello
      you can check result set nextrow() and see if exists, if so do not allow insert.
      Sorry, I don't see how to implement this in my dialog. I assume this would be done in the Server-side dialogValidate event?
      Can you give a few more details or an example?
      Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

If you are using an SQL backend you can add a unique constraint to the date field. If it's time format you'll need to do a little more work. If you want to do it from alpha, you'll probably need to code some xbasic like Gandhi is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jinx- View Post
          If you are using an SQL backend you can add a unique constraint to the date field. If it's time format you'll need to do a little more work. If you want to do it from alpha, you'll probably need to code some xbasic like Gandhi is talking about.
          If you create a unique constraint in SQL, what happens when you try to commit data to the table from Alpha?
          I like the sound of this solution, but may be a bit tricky for me as it's a datetime field and I'm not sure how to make it ignore the time portion.

Comment

It would show up as an SQL error when you tried to submit the record....so not ideal in that it doesn't throw a custom error message. With the time field problem added in the Xbasic option is probably the cleanest and most functional.

It might be best to check in the initialize event and then tell the dialog to load the record that has already been submitted today for editing.

Comment

Can you give a few more details or an example?
              here is the part of code i use to check if the data already exist

Code:
              sqlSelect = "SELECT * FROM your_table_name WHERE date = :newDATE"
              	dim args as sql::arguments
              	args.add("newDATE",date)
              	result = cn.Execute(sqlSelect,args)
              	if result = .t. then
              		dim rs as sql::ResultSet
              		dim flag as l
              		rs = cn.ResultSet
              		flag = rs.nextRow()
              		if flag = .t. then
              	    your_funtion_name = "alert('The item is already in the list');"
              	    exit function
              	   cn.close()
              	      end if
              	end if
              use this in the onClick event of the submit button
              the code goes into server side XBasic ( the third one on the top)
              date is available via e.dataSubmitted.date (assuming that is how you declared your control)
              i am sure you can figure rest of the code.
              i use this with a grid, i have not tested this on a dialog yet.
              if it is not to your satisfaction let me know, i will test against a dummy table and report back to you.
              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
              mysql backend
              [email protected]
              1 914 924 5171

Comment

And here's a way to do it if you want to check before the dialog loads. You can then populate the dialog with that record that was already created for editing.

Like Gandhi's code above, I HAVE NOT tested the Xbasic. I did test the SQL with MS SQL however.

This would go in the initialize event.
                Code:
                dim cn as SQL::Connection
                	if cn.open("::Name::YourConnectionStringName") then
                		dim SqlCommand as c = "SELECT YourUniqueID, YourDateField, CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),YourDateField,110)As ShortDate, CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),GETDATE(),110) as todaysdate FROM YourTableName GROUP BY YourUniqueID, YourDateField HAVING CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),YourDateField,110)=CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),GETDATE(),110)"
                			if cn.Execute(SqlCommand) then 
                				dim rs as SQL::ResultSet = cn.ResultSet
                					if rs.NextRow() then
                						dim recordid as n = rs.Data("YourUniqueID")
                					end if
                			end if
                	cn.Close()			
                	end if

if variable_exists("recordid") then
                	'To edit this action, place insertion point anywhere in the command, then click the 'Action Scripting' button'.
                	ExecuteServerSideAction("Populate Dialog from Tables::Populate_a_Dialog_with_existing_record")
                else
                'You only need this if you are opening the dialog to edit an existing record otherwise skip it	
                'To edit this action, place insertion point anywhere in the command, then click the 'Action Scripting' button'.
                	ExecuteServerSideAction("Populate Dialog from Tables::Populate_a_Dialog_with_data_from_one_or_more_tables")
                end if
                Last edited by -Jinx-; 03-09-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I LOVE this forum

Jinx and ghandi, thanks very much for your ideas ... this will give me something to work on next week.

Comment

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
                    here is the part of code i use to check if the data already exist

Code:
                    sqlSelect = "SELECT * FROM your_table_name WHERE date = :newDATE"
                    	args.add("newDATE",date)
                    	if result = .t. then
                    		dim flag as l
                    		rs = cn.ResultSet
                    		flag = rs.nextRow()
                    		if flag = .t. then
                    	    exit function
                    	   cn.close()
                    	      end if
                    	end if
                    use this in the onClick event of the submit button
                    the code goes into server side XBasic ( the third one on the top)
                    date is available via e.dataSubmitted.date (assuming that is how you declared your control)
                    i am sure you can figure rest of the code.
                    i use this with a grid, i have not tested this on a dialog yet.
                    if it is not to your satisfaction let me know, i will test against a dummy table and report back to you.
                    Hi Ghandi,

I'm finally getting around to trying this method.
                    I'm a little fuzzy on what needs to get returned as javascript in the xbasic function ... see image:

Untitled.jpg

Would you be able to upload a screenshot of the xbasic function above in the onclick event?

Comment

function serverside_AbunchOfNumbersAndStuff

Ghandi's code.......
                      But you'll probably have to change it a bit because you are doing it in a serverside action instead of an Ajax Callback action javascript

add this...

dim jscmd as c

then where this is:

change it to:
                      jscmd = "alert('The item is already in the list');"

finally, end with this:

serverside_AbunchOfNumbersAndStuff = jscmd

jscmd will be equal to "" if there isn't a record in the list already. if there is a record it will be equal to the alert.

I'm not sure if that will work for you though because you are going to want it to stop the submission if it exists already and that won't do it.

What I would do instead is build a function in your xbasic functions and use an ajax callback which is functionally the same as the above except for it will allow you to use other javascript with the ajax callback. In other words, it will allow you to stay in "Action Javascript" mode.

So, you'd start with the Ajax callback action javascript to your function,
                      then you'd return a variable at the end of your function....
                      dim jscmd as c
                      jscmd = "var existingrecord = true"
                      functionName = jscmd

Then, you'd use inline javascript to check that variable returned by your function:

if (existingrecord == false){
                      dialog.object}.submit();
                      }
                      else{
                      alert('record already exists');
                      }

Does that make sense?
                      Last edited by -Jinx-; 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jinx,

I think I understand what you're saying. I wouldn't want the submit to occur so I'll play around with your second idea it and see if I can make it work.
                        Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Stephen

Comment

Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

Just return the javascript to submit the record or javascript to alert the user that it exists at the end of your action. I don't know what the heck I was thinking.

Clear out your submit button by clicking on server side action scripting and then do this in your serverside action script....

dim jscmd as c

run your code

if record exists
                          jscmd = "alert('The record already exists!');"
                          else
                          jscmd = "{dialog.object}.submit();"

It was so simple, I don't know what I was smoking earlier....must have been sleeping still.
                          Last edited by -Jinx-; 04-17-2014, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jinx- View Post
                            Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

Just return the javascript to submit the record or javascript to alert the user that it exists at the end of your action. I don't know what the heck I was thinking.

Clear out your submit button by clicking on server side action scripting and then do this in your serverside action script....

dim jscmd as c

run your code

if record exists
                            jscmd = "alert('The record already exists!');"
                            else
                            jscmd = "{dialog.object}.submit();"

It was so simple, I don't know what I was smoking earlier....must have been sleeping still.
                            Well, you may have been smoking something ;-) but you're definitely not an idiot!
                            Unless you're Selwyn, this stuff warps anybody's mind sometimes :-)

I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post
                              Hi Ghandi,

Would you be able to upload a screenshot of the xbasic function above in the onclick event?
                              http://screencast.com/t/TDsfmYB8maPP

Code:
                              function addReorder as c (e as p)
                              	'debug(1)
                              	dim id as n
                              	dim name as c
                              	dim description as c
                              	dim size as c
                              	dim qty_reorder as n
                              	dim case_cost as n
                              	dim vendor as c
                              	dim vendor_item_id as c
                              	id = e._currentRowDataNew.id
                              	name = e._currentRowDataNew.brand
                              	description = e._currentRowDataNew.description
                              	size = e._currentRowDataNew.size
                              	qty_reorder = e._currentRowDataNew.qty_reorder
                              	case_cost = e._currentRowDataNew.case_cost
                              	vendor = e._currentRowDataNew.name
                              	vendor_item_id = e._currentRowDataNew.vendor_item_id
                              	dim cn as sql::connection
                              	dim result as l
                              	result = cn.open("::Name::local_MYSQL")
                              	if result = .f. then
                              	    addReorder = "alert('Could not connect to database!');"
                              	    exit function
                              	end if
                              	'check for the record if exists inform and exit
                              	dim sqlSelect as c
                              	'dim count as n
                              	sqlSelect = "SELECT * FROM inventory_reorder WHERE item_id = :newID"
                              	args.add("newID",id)
                              	if result = .t. then
                              		dim flag as l
                              		rs = cn.ResultSet
                              		flag = rs.nextRow()
                              		if flag = .t. then
                              	    addReorder = "alert('The item is already in the list');"
                              	    exit function
                              	   cn.close()
                              	      end if
                              	end if
                              	'else
                              	dim sqlInsert as c
                              	sqlInsert = "INSERT INTO inventory_reorder(item_id,item_name,item_description,item_size,item_reorder_qty,item_case_cost,item_vendor,vendor_item_id)	VALUES(:newID,:newNAME,:newDESCRIPTION,:newSIZE, :newREORDERQUANTITY,:newCASECOST,:newVENDOR,:newVendorItemID)"
                              	args.add("newID",id)
                              	args.add("newNAME",name)
                              	args.add("newDESCRIPTION",description)
                              	args.add("newSIZE",size)
                              	args.add("newREORDERQUANTITY", qty_reorder)
                              	args.add("newCASECOST",case_cost)
                              	args.add("newVendor",vendor)
                              	args.add("newVendorItemID",vendor_item_id)
                              	result = cn.Execute(sqlInsert,args)
                              	if result = .f. then
                              	    addReorder = "alert('Record could not be inserted!');"
                              	    cn.close()
                              	    exit function
                              	end if
                              	addReorder = "alert('Record successfully inserted!');"
                              	cn.Close()
                              	exit function
                              this is the code that runs on onClick event of the button. it is an xbasic function. on the picture you had serverside xbasic. this is not what I used.
                              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                              mysql backend
                              [email protected]
                              1 914 924 5171

Comment

Working...
                              X