Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Any chance to get conditional row expander tabs/accordions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any chance to get conditional row expander tabs/accordions ?

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
    Still not getting a clear visual. Does the Show/Hide expression in the tab pane not work for you?
    There IS no show/hide expression in the row expander tab pane Bill... I think your are confusing this with the normal tab pane inside a grid. The row expander is something different.

Comment

Originally posted by gaby_h View Post
      Since the type (mare, stallion, gelding, etc.....) is stored in parent grid and it can be referred to, it's easier to do than hiding the tabs based on a dynamic value like ,say, if child grid has records or not. The day is starting here. I'll try to put something together during lunch time.
      Well Gaby what would I say, how great would that be?? I hope you can really pull that one off.......

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
        There IS no show/hide expression in the row expander tab pane Bill... I think your are confusing this with the normal tab pane inside a grid. The row expander is something different.
        One of the reasons why I was asking for a visual. There are many ways to skin a cat. I will leave this to gaby who has a better grasp as to what you are doing.
        Bill Griffin
        Parkell, Inc

Comment

As I understand it, you currently have 20+ grids listed in the linked content section of your row expander def; there is no easy way to manipulate the tabs from there.

In order to be able to show/hide tabs you need to use a PageLayout and dump your child grids on it. That is:
          -put your 20+ grids in a Page Layout, wrap each in its own tab
          -in the PL Properties, create 2 args 1 for the type of horse (I called it rtype), the other to filter child grid as usual (I called it rid)
          -go to the tab panes you want to show conditionally -> Show/Hide server side -> rtype="mare", go to next pane, rtype="gelding", etc...
          -For Each grid listed in the PL, in its base filter, -> filter grid records based on the argument created (rid) or choose Link if you ant to add records in child grid
          Next Go to parent grid -> row expander -> Add Object -> Add Linked Component, select the PageLayout and bind arguments created in PL to fields in parent grid:
          rtype to type field, rid to somefld in parent grid, and see how it goes.

Hope this gets you closer to what you are looking for.

Comment

As I understand it, you currently have 20+ grids listed in the linked content section of your row expander def; there is no easy way to manipulate the tabs from there.

In order to be able to show/hide tabs you need to use a PageLayout and dump your child grids on it. That is:
            -put your 20+ grids in a Page Layout, wrap each in its own tab
            -in the PL Properties, create 2 args 1 for the type of horse (I called it rtype), the other to filter child grid as usual (I called it rid)
            -go to the tab panes you want to show conditionally -> Show/Hide server side -> rtype="mare", go to next pane, rtype="gelding", etc...
            -For Each grid listed in the PL, in its base filter, -> filter grid records based on the argument created (rid) or choose Link if you ant to add records in child grid
            Next Go to parent grid -> row expander -> Add Object -> Add Linked Component, select the PageLayout and bind arguments created in PL to fields in parent grid:
            rtype to type field, rid to somefld in parent grid, and see how it goes.

Hope this gets you closer to what you are looking for.
            Cool thinking Gaby! I like that.
            However, this won't fly in my case since this is a WCD app that only runs components in working preview mode, unfortunately can't run pages if I'm correct.

Comment

Too bad, didn't know it was for DT. I have never used WDC. Can be useful for the next traveler...

Comment

Deborah, are you struggling with this issue as well?

Honestly the only way that I can think of to tackle this one is by writing your own eventhandler on the OnExpandRow event. That looks like it to be rather cumbersome. I have found an example somewhere of a colleague that did so for choosing between 2 grids to show, but that is a completely different problem then making tabs conditional. I am still thinking whether I should go that route or maybe change design in some (hopefully minor) way. I foresee a long time of code struggling and am not sure if that's the best way to go. Maybe v12 offers the feature?

Comment

I just learned, that INDEED, v12 seems to have a show/hide expression option on the tabs at the row expander, that v11 DOES NOT.
                  That exactly proves, why this extensive list of added features in v12 as opposed to v11 is actually not only a marketing thing, but is NEEDED.
                  So v12 does offer a tool here, in that area, that v11 does not and it may be important to you.
                  It is just about time, that Alpha realizes that such a list is important for its customers.

Comment

It is also in V11 but listed as a Subscriber benefit - from V11 release notes:

Grid Component - Row Expander - Server-side Show/Hide Expression - When you define a Row Expander for a Grid you can define multiple components to show when the row is expanded. The multiple components are displayed in a Tab or Accordion control. Previously, you could only control which components were shown when the row was expanded by assigning a Security Group to the component. Now, you can also define a server-side show/hide expression. This expression can reference session variables.

So for example, your Row Expander might allow the user to view Grid1 and Grid2, but the server-side show/hide expression might be defined for Grid2. Say the expression was:

session.showGrid2 = "Yes"

Then at run-time, if session.showGrid2 was 'No', the Row Expander would not show Grid2.
                    Bill Griffin
                    Parkell, Inc

Comment

Problem with that whole feature seems to be, that it only swallows session variables? If so, this is completely NOT going to work for WCD since in WCD we can not use session variables!
                      Documentation on this feature is extremely poor and only tells us that it can use session variables. "CAN"<>"MUST" so, one would think any (since server-side) xbasic expression will do, but that seems not the case since a very simple expression like:

Gender = "Mare" is not working....

So, what exactly is going on with this feature? What type of expression is expected? I honestly have no clue having read the microscopically small piece of documentation I could find with only a reference to session variables.

Anyone have a clue?

Comment

Marcel:
                        There is an alternative solution, a bit convoluted, not as elegant as the 1st option but gets you closer to your goal. No session var involved, only js. Still interested?

Comment

Marcel,

Probably I am not understanding your aim ok. But let me give it a try :)
                          So you have a row expander for a grid row. In the row expander linked content you have several linked components.
                          Each component based on one or more properties of the grid row.
                          Why not have just one linked component, a dialog. LInking on primary key.
                          In the dialog, showing the details for the row. You have a tab control and several tabs. Those tabs are in fact the linked components.
                          And for the tabs you have the opportunity to define show hide conditions.

hth

Pieter

Comment

Marcel:
                            There is an alternative solution, a bit convoluted, not as elegant as the 1st option but gets you closer to your goal. No session var involved, only js. Still interested?
                            Of course Gaby, the problem is still there and until now is not going anywhere by itself So if you could help with some smart JS solution..... much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              Marcel,

Probably I am not understanding your aim ok. But let me give it a try :)
                              So you have a row expander for a grid row. In the row expander linked content you have several linked components.
                              Each component based on one or more properties of the grid row.
                              Why not have just one linked component, a dialog. LInking on primary key.
                              In the dialog, showing the details for the row. You have a tab control and several tabs. Those tabs are in fact the linked components.
                              And for the tabs you have the opportunity to define show hide conditions.

hth

Pieter
                              A Dutch Guy comes with an actual great solution.... "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't Much" comes to mind
                              The idea is good really, and it most certainly qualifies as a viable alternative that I might use if no better alternatives pop up.

Only one thinks why all this effort, if there is simply a show/hide expression already that could actually do the job IF we only knew HOW IT WORKED ?
                              That would prevent from having to create this whole construction to begin with.
                              Would be nice if anyone from Alpha, or anyone within this community, could elaborate a bit on what exactly are the options of using this feature?

Comment

OK, let's do it quickly before the biz day starts here.
                                The basic idea is to recognize that tabs in row expander have this structure for address: TAB_GRID1_R2.5.TAB
                                where R2 is row2, 5 is the 6th tab starting from left. Tabs are numbered from left to right starting with 0; so the 1st tab is 0, the 7th tab is nbr 8.

$('TAB_GRID1_R6.8.TAB').style.display='none'; -> hides tab9 in Row6

So in afterRowExpander as expl:
                                Code:
                                var rid={Grid.Object}._selectedRow;
                                var ztype= {grid.Object}.getValue('G','TYPE',rid)

if(ztype == 'Mare')  // hide tab3,4
                                {
                                $('TAB_GRID1_R'+rid+'.2.TAB').style.display='none'; 
                                $('TAB_GRID1_R'+rid+'.3.TAB').style.display='none';
                                etc...
                                }

if(ztype == 'Guelding')   // hide tab7,8,9
                                {
                                $('TAB_GRID1_R'+rid+'.6.TAB').style.display='none';
                                $('TAB_GRID1_R'+rid+'.7.TAB').style.display='none';
                                $('TAB_GRID1_R'+rid+'.8.TAB').style.display='none';
                                etc...
                                }

if(ztype == 'Stallion')   // hide tab12,14,16,18
                                {
                                $('TAB_GRID1_R'+rid+'.11.TAB').style.display='none';
                                $('TAB_GRID1_R'+rid+'.13.TAB').style.display='none';
                                $('TAB_GRID1_R'+rid+'.15.TAB').style.display='none';
                                $('TAB_GRID1_R'+rid+'.17.TAB').style.display='none';
                                etc...
                                }

etc......
                                I know in your case you have 20+ ... a bit tedious. As I said a bit convoluted but it's a different option that I hope gets your closer to what you want.

Comment

Working...
                                X