Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

serious security issue when user changed email address (security UserID) andthen used the old one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

serious security issue when user changed email address (security UserID) andthen used the old one!

This problem occurred a while ago, and I hoped it would go away - but it occurred again today and is causing major loss of confidence in my system!!

The problem:

I have set up the login so that the UserID is the email address field in a database table.
    I allocate a password initially, that users can then change if they wish.

This user changed their email address in the database - in the correct field etc. (I didn't know this, so didn't change it in the security)

Then, for some reason, the user logged on using their old email address and correct password. The database let them in (fair enough), but instead of filtering their grid views on their primary keyID - a widely used session variable for filtering data in my system - no filter operated. Thus the user could see all the data. General panic has ensued and I'm the chief target!

I understand why the user was able to log in, (because their email address was the same as that recorded in the security table), but how can I ensure that if/when this happens again that at least some form of filter is in place? Do I lock them out of changing their emails? Can I somehow connect the security UserID to the field in the database table rather than the security? Can I construct the system to lock poepl out if the email they have recorded in the database doesn't match the UserID in the security table?

I've got this far by using A5's fantastic wizards and Steve Working's great videos (no blame Steve if you read this), so while I'm OK at SQL, I'm not flash at xbasic

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Malcolm

Re: serious security issue when user changed email address (security UserID) andthen used the old one!

Needless to say there is something very wrong with your security setup. I assume that the table they changed their email address was not the websecurity_users table. You can't allow users to change their primary user_id, but it sounds like in your case something else is going on. It doesn't make sense that if the websecurity_users table email address did not change that they would be able to see all the data. Typically, when someone logs in you retrieve the group and set the session (filter) variable accordingly. Not sure what's going on in your case.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Re: serious security issue when user changed email address (security UserID) andthen used the old one!

my reply here was not pertinent
      Last edited by bob9145; 04-09-2014, 09:45 PM. Reason: my reply here was not pertinent

Comment

Hi Malcolm

In the Registereduser Table the UserName is often an email Address. This is the linking field back to security. You cannot let people edit this field. If you include an extra email field in this table that is not set by websecurity you need to consider all possibilities very carefully.

This is the field passed in when someone logs in with Alphas security so if you have the wrong values here your filtering can fail. I think Jerry recommends setting a default filter value that will return no records, this means if an error occurs no records are returned. In your system all records appear to be returned.

Michael

Comment

Linking a separate users table to security on an email address is poor design, unless you also make sure if email address is changed, it changes in security as well. But it is still poor design as far as I am concerned. Users MUST be able to change their email address, or even if you don't allow that in your system, it cannot be a primary key spread throughout the system such that it causes a problem if it is changed (orphaned records, etc).
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks for your feedback - I've now done a bit more reading and I think Michael has hit on the cause of the problem. This is my setup:

In Web Security, I have specified the User ID configuration as 'valid email address.'
            The security table has the email addresses I used to set users up with their logins (e.g. Login username is: [email protected])
            The security checks the users login name ([email protected]) and the password, asseses it as valid and proceeds to the page where I've set up the variables (Steve's login_processing page)

I then define my session.UserID as follows:

'the UserID is the primary key from the RTLBDetails table
            cn="::name::CMS"
            table="RTLBDetails"
            filter="RTLBemail='" + a5ws_getcurrentuser()+"'"
            result="GroupID"
            session.UserID=sql_lookup(cn, table, filter, result)

at this point the getcurrentuser() <> "RTLBemail" I guess that means the session.UserID is null (correct?)

When I use :UserID as a filter in my grid SQL statement (e.g. WHERE fieldname=:UserID), the filter is ineffectual as the value is null (correct?)

The solutions:

1. do not allow users to change their email addresses (in the data tables) - which means a whole lot of admin for me and delays for users (that's what I've done now)
            2. Michael's suggestion above "I think Jerry recommends setting a default filter value that will return no records, this means if an error occurs no records are returned."
            3. move to another userlogin system.

Michael, can you point me in the right direction as how to set up that 'default user filter that returns no data?' Perhaps it should be such that if the 'filter' condition isn't met in the getcurrentuser() function, then a 'decoy' userID is returned thus preventing any data from being displayed.

Thanks again for reading and responding.

Malcolm

Comment

If a person logs in and "something is wrong" (like you cannot find a matching User record or your GroupID, or something else critical) you should log them back out and not allow any access. That is different than 'setting a default filter that returns no records'. Your tactic is a mistake because OTHER things will go wrong if the person is allowed to login.

Also, if your filter is "WHERE fieldname=:UserID" and UserID is NULL, it will faithfully return all records where UserID is a NULL value. You can easily test this. You might have a different SQL query that somehow acts differently so I suggest, after you test this theory, that you might have to find some other reason that your user can see ALL records when they are not supposed to.

It is also easy to test for the value in your session.userid with functions like

?session.userid on an A5W page
              or
              save_to_file(session.userid,"c:\mytest.txt")
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi

Just to clear up a miss understanding there is no debate that a person who does not have permission should always be logged out. However I think you have built a system that uses 2 email address one in the security system that you should be filtering on, and one that the user can edit that you are filtering on. Respectfully this is not the way to do it.

I think there are 2 issues here.

If you want to follow Jerry's videos and use a valid email as the user name; keep that as the link returned by Alpha's security. This is your filter, set this to "noUser" as a default. Alpha security will never allow this value as it checks for a valid email address. Allow the user to enter and change a field; say contact email. Give them no access to UserName the link to the Alpha security. This way the user can change their email at will.

Should the user have a desire to change their UserName for log in then make them delete their current login and create a new one. All of this is explained by Jerry.

Should you be capable enough to stray from under the wings of Jerry then plenty of people on this message board have the skills to help you. Few are better than Steve. For me as a poor programmer I would rather stay with Jerry's paradigm and lose a little of the ease of use proposed by Steve.

Michael

Comment

Hi Malcom,
                  I have a system that uses the following logic to allow maintenance of the email being used as the User ID:
                  I have one table called Employees with an auto-incemented field (PK_Employees) and EmployeeEmail field using MS-SQL database.
                  All my filtering are based on this PK_Employees and not the email address field, so the EmployeeEmail can change at any time, but the PK_Employees will always be the same for this employee.

In the Employee grid AfterUpdateRecord() event, I have code that will check if the EmployeeEmail has changed and if so, it will update the security table using the framework a5ws...() functions as shown below:

Code:
                  function AfterUpdateRecord as v (e as p)
                  '-- If the email address was changed, then we need to check the following:
                  '1: That the old email exist in the Security Framework database and if so
                  '2: Update that UserID with the current email, so the Provider can login
                  if alltrim(e.OldDataSubmitted.EmployeeEmail) <> alltrim(e.DataSubmitted.EmployeeEmail) then
                  	if a5ws_WebUser_Exists(e.OldDataSubmitted.EmployeeEmail) then
                  		dim UserValue as p
                  		dim UserValue.Guid as c
                  		dim UserValue.UserID as c

UserValue.Guid = A5WS_Get_GUID_From_User(e.OldDataSubmitted.EmployeeEmail)
                  		UserValue.UserID = e.DataSubmitted.EmployeeEmail
                  		UserValue.eMail = e.DataSubmitted.EmployeeEmail

if len(alltrim(UserValue.Guid)) > 0 then
                  			dim output as p
                  			dim output.controls as p
                  			dim output.controls.guid.value as c

'-- Update this record with the new email address in the Security Framework.		
                  			A5WS_Save_WebUser_Values(output, UserValue)
                  		end if
                  	else
                  		' This user does not exist in the Security Framework
                  		' so just ignore this email change.
                  	end if
                  end if

end function
                  In my case, I don't allow end users access to the security table, only to the Employee data when the email can be changed and it will be updated in the security table silently.

Be aware that I am using MS-SQL tables for the Alpha Security Framework.

Hope this help you out.
                  Edhy Rijo
                  Progytech
                  (Computer Consultants)
                  The makers of CardTracking.Net
                  www.progytech.com

Comment

Working...
                  X