Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Publishing is extemely slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Publishing is extemely slow

Hello,

In V9 it takes me over 23 seconds to publish one simple component to a LAN-server, where in V8 this took me under 5 seconds.

Anything I do wrong?
    Ren�
    Windows 7, V11

Re: Publishing is extemely slow

Rene - the v9 Platinum app server runs apps quite a bit faster and the publish task should not take longer.

Please send me more info so we can check out what might be causing this in your application

Thanks
    [email protected]
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Ren� Stout View Post
      Hello,

In V9 it takes me over 23 seconds to publish one simple component to a LAN-server, where in V8 this took me under 5 seconds.

Anything I do wrong?
      Is this the first time you publish? Sometimes it has to publish Javascript and other new files, especially when first publishing from V9 (all the Alpha5 files - e.g. CSS and Javascript etc - you published from V8 have to be re-published).

I have however noticed some odd behaviour, but this has always been the case AFAIK, whereby sometimes the publishing only starts as long as the A5 window has focus - if you move away to do something else while it publishes, a lot of the time it just hangs there until you "pay it some attention" & THEN it starts publishing! Crreepy! ;)
      Last edited by NoeticCC; 03-30-2008, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I work the same as in version v8. When I edited a component or page, I publish it to local webroot to test it. Normally, when I only edited the component or page itself, this takes less then five seconds. You cannot even read what's in the windows passing by.

Now, in V9, there is an indicator (which is very hard to read because there is only a very thin green line in a gray background) which really takes it's time.
        And when you think it's finished, it takes another five or so seconds before you can press a button to continue.
        This was definitely not the case in version 8.
        Ren�
        Windows 7, V11

Comment

Hi Rene

Not sure if you are still an A5 user? If you are, did you ascertain as to why your pages/components were taking so long to publish? I am having exactly the same problem. I have read the previous message to yours, but I have published 3-4 times, and it doesnt get any quicker.

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Just for the record, I find that, at least in v9 (not sure about v10), over time, publishing takes much longer. If I completely uninstall v9, including all registry entries, and then re-install, it works as fast as it did in the beginning. I end up having to do this every month or two, which is a real pain, but I have come to accept it. If it could be fixed, that would be great.
            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Gary

Thanks for your feedback. Very interesting having to reinstall every 4-8 weeks, that is bizarre.

Unfortunately I dont think I quite fit into that category, I have just installed V9 App Server on a Virtual Server for the first time, and have published 4-5 times. Each publish takes around 60 minutes, and even more unusual is that when I make changes to the App server settings on the server and save those changes, they dont stick for say the first half a dozen attempts

I read some of your threads re what specs you have on your server etc, was very useful. Perhaps V9 is better suited when publishing to a dedicated physical server rather than a virtual server, who knows

I only have around 12 users in total, if I cant crack this problem I may just buy a standalone PC running App Server and nothing else. Up until now I have just published to my PC and its been reliable. Page loading when comparing times between the local desktop and the virtual server is basically the same, I put this down to the grid/s on some of the pages. V10 claims it has faster AJAX type grids, but from what I have read on other threads there are bugs and patches which are still being fixed, so I'm hesitant to jump

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by ChristJC View Post
                Hi Rene

Not sure if you are still an A5 user? If you are, did you ascertain as to why your pages/components were taking so long to publish? I am having exactly the same problem. I have read the previous message to yours, but I have published 3-4 times, and it doesnt get any quicker.

Cheers

Jason
                Hi Jason,

I'm not a user of A5 anymore. I transferred the database management to someone else. What I remember is that this problem disappeared spontanuously.

Success!
                Ren�
                Windows 7, V11

Comment

Hi Rene

Thanks for your reply! I hope mine resolves in a similar fashion :)

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Working...
                  X