Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

ajax tutorials - am i missing something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ajax tutorials - am i missing something

Originally posted by richard2007 View Post
    re checked, the sample pages are working ok. i am still getting an error a5_ajax_autosuggest is undefined in my own project.
    I just noticed that in the lookup dbf example it defines this as

Code:
    var cityNameSuggest = new [B]a5_AJAX_autoSuggest[/B]
    Since Javascript is case sensitive, that might have something to do with it...

Comment

not this, as i re installed and never made any changes. the cases are as they originally were.

Comment

not this, as i re installed and never made any changes. the cases are as they originally were.
        Did you create a new database from the WAS sample template after downloading the latest App Server Sample database and patches, and copy the files you were trying to adapt to your own project again afterwards?

Can you attach the .a5w and AJAX.a5w pages where you get this error to this thread?

I know I had some problems with case sensitive internal Alpha functions and page security settings with some of these samples, since some files were .A5W and others .a5w, I wonder whether a recent patch screwed with the cases in code and file names?

Comment

i started from scratch.

i have also just installed a trial version on my work pc, opened the web app demo, published the files, started the WAS, clicked on preview on the web control panel toolbar.

when i click on the suggestiondbf page i get exactly the same error.

this is just simply clicking on the page in the web control panel. i have made no ammendments to the pages at all.

i have sent a bug report to alpha, its getting very frustrating.

Comment

i started from scratch.

i have also just installed a trial version on my work pc, opened the web app demo, published the files, started the WAS, clicked on preview on the web control panel toolbar.
            There's your problem then - Javascript doesnt work in the preview, because the preview only generates a temporary copy of the page you are previewing, not of all the linked files. You do not need to publish any files in order to view this preview, Javascripts have never worked in the preview windows (as opposed to the live preview windows for components), even with the JS generated by the component genies.

Have you tried actually viewing the project in your browser?

Comment

i wasnt trying to run the java in the preview, simpy clicking on it to select to page to work with, produced the errors.

those pages with errors do not work in my web browser. and also the page i adapted did not work either.

Comment

i wasnt trying to run the java in the preview, simpy clicking on it to select to page to work with, produced the errors.
                Previewing a page with javascript on will always generate errors because these pages do have javascript functions on them, soe of which are run automatically when the page is loaded. It's usually easier to switch the preview off if you work with dialogs that have hide/show rules and so on anyway.

those pages with errors do not work in my web browser. and also the page i adapted did not work either.
                Can you please attach the files (.a5w and AJAX.a5w) for one of these pages - the version from your locally published web root - to this thread, as well as a screenshot of the contents of your app's published Javascript directory that shows the modified dates? These samples work spot on for me, both on our WAS V9 as well as on my local V9 delveloper copy, and they work on the afas site too.

If your error message genuinly refers to the function in lowercase then you obviously have an out of date file somewhere but nobody can help you if you don't show us what the files you are using contain.

Comment

i have started from scratch.

i copied the 2 pages relating the suggestion list. i renamed them with a '2' on the end

i created a table called casefile with the following fields

caseref c 8
                  firstname c 25
                  surname c 25
                  housenumber c 15
                  postcode c 15

i enetred a few dummy records.

i adapted the code on these two pages to reflect the new table and fields.

i just wanted to experiment to make sure i can make it work. i published the files but my adaptions do not work.

Comment

Thanks I will take a look when I get home. So just to clarify, do the UNMODIFIED samples you re-published, with your publishing history cleared out, throw the same error when you publish them locally and then open the sample pages in your Internet browser?

And have you fully re-published your own project, making sure the dates on the JavaScript files in the web root match those in the A5V9 program directory?

I am just stumped because the ONLY place I get the error you describe is the internal preview in A5.

Comment

Now this is odd... what did you edit the pages in? Because it looks like the culprit is the Javascript at the top of the page... anything that shows up red in the A5 HTML editor, // indicates a comment. So if stuff that is meant to be behind the // suddenly gets moved to the next line that totally screws up the Javascript.

This may well be a bug in the HTML editor in smaller screen resolutions, to do with line breaks, but it isn't a bug in the AJAX samples....

Also, if you check the comments on the top red block of JavaScript, this actually overwrites the AJAX call - you *had* to pick one of the exceptions didn't you ;) - and if it is not modified to fit the changes you made to your field names etc, then the samples will not work.
                      Last edited by NoeticCC; 05-15-2008, 03:42 PM.

Comment

andrea,

i modified them in alpha5. i was very careful when changing the field names etc.

not sure what you mean by the exceptions?????????

ill sort out the comments and give it another go.

thanks for your continued time.

Comment

andrea,

i modified them in alpha5. i was very careful when changing the field names etc.
                          What is your screen size/resolution? I wonder if it's not just to do with the file being attached to a thread (downloading a file can do strange things to line breaks etc.) that caused that...

not sure what you mean by the exceptions?????????
                          I meant that you managed to pick one of the few AJAX samples that doesn't follow the normal syntax/a5w & AJAX.a5w rule, and is not that straightforward and seems to override the AJAX call (which I don't quite know the reason for etc.).

Comment

screen size is 1280 by 800.

yes i always seem tp pick the hardest work, i like a challenge. lol.

this is what i have just tried. opened up the ajax_listsuggestion.a5w page. copied the entire code, closed page.

then i opened my modified page and pasted the entire code in. i still get the errors as if the code has moved lines.

i then opened up the sample pages from alfas.alphasoftware... opened the suggesitons.dbf page, viewed the source, copied and pasted in to my adapted page and the errors dissapear.

how strange

i still have an issue as when i copy the pages (which of course i will need to do) i am getting these errors.

Comment

screen size is 1280 by 800.

yes i always seem tp pick the hardest work, i like a challenge. lol.
                              Hehe, yep I have a knack for that too!

this is what i have just tried. opened up the ajax_listsuggestion.a5w page. copied the entire code, closed page.

then i opened my modified page and pasted the entire code in. i still get the errors as if the code has moved lines.

i then opened up the sample pages from alfas.alphasoftware... opened the suggesitons.dbf page, viewed the source, copied and pasted in to my adapted page and the errors dissapear.

how strange

i still have an issue as when i copy the pages (which of course i will need to do) i am getting these errors.
                              Instead of copying the code, go to your project and select "Add File" - This will copy the whole page/component/file/image rather than c & p - ing just the text...

I will have a look at the settings, but it looks like something about the settings and how Alpha HTML Editor copies & pastes text seems to mess up line breaks...

As a rule of thumb I tend to use a brilliant free tool called PureText to paste code or web content - I had no end of trouble copying web content into Frontpage (because it automatically applies weird formatting etc.) and copying web URLs to Excel without Excel automatically trying to conver the format into a link, and PureText has served me very well... http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/

Comment

thanks andrea, ill give that a try.

Comment

Working...
                                X