Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Dual and Quad Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual and Quad Processors

I know alpha five server does not support the full capabilities of a dual or quad processor, at least with windows 2003 server.

Does any one know for certain if Windows 2008 server would help alpha five to use all the processors or if alpha five version 9 is going to develop this capability to support multiprocessors?

Or, any other way around this issue to maximize the capabilities of a server's multiprocessors?

It is just such a waste of computer power in my situation, to only be able to use one quarter of the cpu in my server. I would think the server calls would be much faster if it could use the entire cpu.

Thoughts?

Thank you, Mike Scholin

Re: Dual and Quad Processors

Install WAS in 2 different folders, set one instance to run on port 80, processor#2, and the other to run on port 8080, processor#1 (works fine with the startup option specified in AlwaysUp). Then run the main site on the first server and refer background tasks (AJAX calls, file processing etc.) to http://yourdomain.com:8080/bla.

In future you will be able to use the cluster thing that's being worked on, with the quad processor server split into 4 virtual servers, but the above works fine for us for the time being.

Comment

Clever! Of course that would require purchasing two licenses I think but it sounds like a good work around.

Thanks Andrea.

Does anyone have any idea of a release date for the cluster server?

Comment

The license no. is per machine, not per processor, so it works a treat. We do have another server license but that runs on a very restricted IP range so is not suitable for all such "swaps", but even just running it on the second processor rather than the main processor seems to help a lot.

Comment

Hi are you running database files or sql server? If you are running sql you can have it run the sqlserver functions on the seperate processor. It could help.

I can tell you I have a duplicate a5 database and a sql file that i use and if im doing desktop queries my searches went from about 13seconds to less than one on sql.
          Chad Brown

Comment

Chad, that is very interesting. I am currently running dbf. However, I have decided to convert over to mysql.

Although I only have a few thousand records, my primary database table has over 250 fields and I am hoping that using mysql backend will help to improve speed. Right now it takes about 10-20 seconds to open from the web.

However, I am finding out that converting over to mysql is not as easy as I hoped. I am so spoiled with Alpha Five's UI and easy of database management. Mysql is like a whole different animal - as I see it so far. Some of my tables, (especially my big one) won't export out for some reason. I am still working on it and hoping to see some improvements as you have mentioned!

Comment

if you have microsoft sql server 2008 you can import from dbf if that helps. I have done this just with a lot smaller file.252k lines and 50 fields but of good size.

Are you running ver9 platinum?

I am also spoiled by a5 but found that even the desktop apps were slowing down alot on dbf files, I kinda had to force feed it to myself aswell.

I am not a big code writer but am a self taught IT manager. I figured it out with not to much trouble.
              Last edited by chadbrown; 10-03-2008, 02:16 PM.
              Chad Brown

Comment

I was using MySql, not microsofts Sql.

I have no experience with either one but I was also wondering if I should upgrade my server from MS 2003 to MS server 2008. Maybe it would be good to stick with MS for both the server operating system and Sql.

And yes, I am using Alpha version 9 (at least moving that way - I bought it months ago when it came out, just have not implemented it fully yet).

Any thoughts about which SQL I should use?

Comment

Originally posted by chadbrown View Post
                  Hi are you running database files or sql server? If you are running sql you can have it run the sqlserver functions on the seperate processor. It could help.

I can tell you I have a duplicate a5 database and a sql file that i use and if im doing desktop queries my searches went from about 13seconds to less than one on sql.
                  Good point - I should have remembered to mention this since I recommended it to someone a while back!

With a SQL back end the data processing is done on a different server or at least can be done on another processor, whereas with DBF files everything has to be done by the WAS...

I have found mySQL very easy to work with, and exporting my dbf tables for our news page/rss feed generator as well as a mass mailing web tool etc. has been straightforward. SQL Server has some row lock quirks that make it awkward to work with, although the admin gui tool is very nifty for SQL Server... the mySQL one is pretty decent too and lets you preview image blob fields the same way Alpha5 dbf browses do :)

What error do you get when trying to export your table(s)?

Comment

K in Version 9

create new operation, pick export by genie then by remote using alphadao
                    then pick export to access and create the file, then in ms sql server you can import the table from access to create the end sql table. Once you have that set up, you can modify and change fields with MS visual studio, all of which are free online for the small versions which seem to be fine for most people unless your a national retailer. Then you set up your links in a5 and sit back and enjoy the massive increase in speed.

Also I use the ms 2003 server 64bit and have no issues so i dont think you have to upgrade it to 2008. Im just waiting on a WAS written in 64bit which will also double the speed.
                    Last edited by chadbrown; 10-03-2008, 02:48 PM.
                    Chad Brown

Comment

Andrea, are you using a MySql UI and if so, which one are you using (or any other MySql tools you find useful)?

Comment

Originally posted by chadbrown View Post
                        K in Version 9

create new operation, pick export by genie then by remote using alphadao
                        then pick export to access and create the file, then in ms sql server you can import the table from access to create the end sql table. Once you have that set up, you can modify and change fields with MS visual studio, all of which are free online for the small versions which seem to be fine for most people unless your a national retailer. Then you set up your links in a5 and sit back and enjoy the massive increase in speed.
                        Why so complicated? You can export directly to the SQL database, all you have to do is create/set primary key fields at the SQL db end once the export is complete and you're done!

Comment

I was assuming that he was using the direct export to sql and having issues with it. so thats why i was suggesting this method.
                          Chad Brown

Comment

I am not so sure why - I transferred 10 smaller associated tables without any problem using the built in export function in Alpha, but my two larger tables won't transfer. I will have time over the weekend to really focus on it.

I do have a question - I read somewhere that all the auto increment numbers need to be numeric - is that correct?

Would it make more sense to covert them before I export or do it in MySql?

Comment

Originally posted by Scholin View Post
                              I am not so sure why - I transferred 10 smaller associated tables without any problem using the built in export function in Alpha, but my two larger tables won't transfer. I will have time over the weekend to really focus on it.
                              If it shows a specific error message a bug report will usually get you the required response, although if you post it and the suggested create statement (suggested by Alpha5) here we may be able to give you feedback too.

I do have a question - I read somewhere that all the auto increment numbers need to be numeric - is that correct?

Would it make more sense to covert them before I export or do it in MySql?
                              If you can convert without trouble I'd do it in alpha, although you can set up triggers in SQL server to emulate non-numeric autoincrements too. (I don't think you can set triggers in the current version of mySQL we have running but I have read about them in relation to mySQL 5)

Comment

Working...
                              X