Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Limit Concurrent Users Per Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limit Concurrent Users Per Project

Hello,

Having read the forum regarding concurrent users, I am now very interested to know how i can limit the number of users per project. I have 3 apps on my Web Server, but dont want to affect them all. I need to keep them all unique.

So my ultimate question is, what would i need to to limit the number of logins/sessions in one of my apps?

Thanks,

Denis

Re: Limit Concurrent Users Per Project

I forget the function that returns the number of current connections. It counts the current sessions. You take that number, minus one, and its supposed to be your current sessions (I find the function consumes one session).

So perhaps in a Header page that tops all pages, you save the current session count in to a session variable. On the Login.A5W page, in Source, just below where it runs the Login component, put xbasic code that says if the current session count is above X, prohibit login.

That code would look something like this:

if eval_valid("session.currentsessions")
    if session.currentsessions > "5"
    response.redirect("sorrytomanyusers.a5w")
    end if
    end if

That would redirect the user to a page prior to allowing login if count was over 5, but allow them to pass to the login dialog if less than 5.

To ensure your current sessions is roughly equal to your ACTUAL current users, you'd want to use the Security option to close the session after a period of inactivity.

I did not test any of this, but the logic will work.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

To count sessions you use a5_count_websessions() Here is a bit of xbasic on my a5w page that counts the session and displays it on my a5w page (for quick reference) and stores some info about the sessions in a log file.
      Code:
      <%a5
      dim nSessions as N
      nSessions = a5_count_websessions()
      dim counter_file as c
      counter_file = "<ADB_Path>\websesscntr.txt"
      countsess = "Number Of Sessions "+str(nSessions,4,0)+"  <"+date()+">  <"+time()+">   "+crlf()
      save_to_file(countsess,counter_file,.t.)
      %>
      <font 
      face=Arial size =1 >
      <%a5
      ?str(nSessions,3,0)
      %>

Comment

I was playing around with this because I thought it would be nice to display the "online now" value. I lead you astray, the count of sessions does NOT mean the number of users logged in. It is just a count of the number of browsers open to your website, not necessarily logged in.

So I don't know how to capture the number of currently logged on users other than to count them as they log in, and count them when they log off. But I don't know how to do the latter part of that equation unless they actually click a Logout button, which nobody does.

I think we need to ask Alpha if there is some way to interrogate the Security Framework to see who is logged in. Or some way of knowing that a login has expired so you can deduct the value.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

You are correct on the number of sessions. What I do is look at the number on my home page to see what kind of activity there is. I look at the number with a grain of salt....

Counting the number of logins is the simple part. But deducting is cannot be done as we do not know if the login session has expired and you cannot rely on users to logoff. It would be nice to have a A5 variable that you can increment as a user logs in. Then A5 would deduct from this variable if the login session has expired.

I have not spent the time to learn the Security Framework so I cannot comment on that area.

Comment

I came across your answers to my question and forgot to thank you both.

'Thank you'

Denis

Comment

This is an intersting problem, and difficult to solve for the reasons that have been mentioned. An additional problem with counting sessions in this case is also that the count is for the whole server, not individual applications.

I would use a server variable, or rather 3 of them, to count the users in each application. Upon login, you count incrment the number. But you would also need logic that was aware of the session timeout value to also decrement the count as user logins expire. This will also be a less than perfect count.

Comment

Thanks for the info Joe. I have used Phil's script for my app. However, i would be useful if Alpha could provide a facility to count users logged in instead of sessions opened.

Denis

Comment

Working...
                X