Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

security breach - this could happen to you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

security breach - this could happen to you

A while back I wrote an article for the Alpha blog about the need to properly secure your user account information, especially passwords and userids. To bring it home, I just got an email from a service that I am subscribed to, saying their system had been breached, and my userid and password were among those compromised. NOTE: They do not have an Alpha Five application.

If you read through their message below, its instructive to have in mind what I was thinking as I read it.
    • What password did I use with this service?
    • For what long forgotten service might I have used that userid and password combination? And which ones retained my cc or bank info?
    • How many other services have had their security breached, and did not tell me?
    • And, hey! I write these kind of systems now - what have I done to ensure my client's web applications are secure?

What's your answer to that last question?

If you are like me, you have hundreds of "accounts" where you have provided a user id (likely email) and a password. For some portion of those you have provided financial information; and some portion of those have retained that information, and only some portion of those have secured your information properly. My passwords are different on every site, but that's probably an anomaly.

By the way, this is prompting me to write a document (for my clients) detailing exactly how I have secured their web application - and I bet you in writing the document I will make changes to how I use security in Alpha Five.

So this may be you, writing to your clients, that their userid and password has been stolen. That is, if you have any means in place to know that such a breach has take place.

-------- Actual letter, but with names changed ---------

Dear ABC Email Newsletter Subscriber,

We regret to inform you that the company we contract with to deliver email newsletters, XYZ, has identified a breach of one of their internet security systems. The breach was limited in scope. There was no breach of personally-identifiable information or credit card data, but your email address and password for managing your email subscriptions at ABC may have been obtained by an unauthorized third party.

Usernames and passwords that you use on the ABC or ABC Stock Web sites for you or your organization were not compromised; only usernames and passwords used to manage email newsletter subscriptions were affected. Most ABC email newsletter accounts do not have passwords associated with them. However, XYZ's records indicate that your account did have a password.

There is potential for misuse of this information should you use the same email address and password on other personal accounts (for example, banking, PayPal, Amazon, web-based email sites, etc.) XYZ would like to advise you of important steps that you should take to prevent misuse of your personal information:

* If this email address and password are used together on any other accounts, it is recommended you change your password on those accounts immediately.

* Pay careful attention to emails you may receive requesting personal and financial information -- even if it appears to be from ABC -- and only provide it when you can confidently confirm that it has come from a trusted organization.

* Report any suspicious activity immediately to the account provider (bank, credit card, etc.) and to credit bureaus. We take your privacy seriously, and as a protective step have immediately deleted all passwords used to manage email subscriptions. This will not affect your subscriptions or site usage, and you will simply be prompted to create a new password when you go to manage your email subscriptions.

Our vendor XYZ has asked us to convey their deepest apology and assurance that security has been restored. If you have any questions, please visit XYZ's site, http://www.XYZ.com/onlinesecurity , or contact XYZ's Security Hotline at 1-800-555-1111.

Sincerely,

The ABC Team

--------------------------------------------------

If you would like to unsubscribe from ABC, you can respond to this email with "REMOVE" as the subject, or you can visit your subscription management page at:

This email is Powered by XYZ, Inc.

http://www.XYZ.com

Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Re: security breach - this could happen to you

www.roboform.com ... unless you are 'Rain Man' you need something like this excellent little password product and its companion GoodSync.

Comment

I think these tools are a good thing. I use a very complex password, but with a simple algorithm that lets me 'guess' accurately depending on the service I am registered with. The bigger problem is remembering WHERE I have created an account. I think it should be a requirement that every place you ever registered with would email you once a year and tell you what you have on file, and give a way to opt out. Airlines, travel sites, utilities, banks, mail lists, Alpha message board, etc.

I've had the privilege of seeing thousands of user passwords (in my early applications and some client applications), and 99% of them are bonehead easy to crack. Someone's name, common words, etc. And (and this is the reason WE have to guard against passwords being stolen), they assuredly use the same password with their bank account.

Did anyone say liability?

If you keep passwords in an Alpha table, use a5_encrypt_string() or MD5() or some other encryption method to encrypt the value. That way if someone gets hold of the table, they will not have the password.

a5_encrypt_string() allows YOU to reverse the process and uncover the password. MD5() is a one-way method where no one can recover the password, but your user can still be validated against it with a simple technique.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Excellent, excellent point about having THEM mail US an annual e-mail.

Comment

On the topic of security, I agree that most organizations treat is as an afterthought. What will often happen is that a web app starts out as an intranet application with minimal policies and then remote clients want to start using it, so it gets opened up to the outside.

The absolute most common vulnerability I've come across is the old SQL-injection attack. Probably 50% of all non-.Net Active Server Pages sites I've seen are easily cracked just by typing in something like

' OR 0 = 0 --

into the username and password fields, and then, often, you'll find that you've just "logged in" to the user who was lucky enough to have the first record in the table of users.

Using professionally-written frameworks such as Hibernate or iBATIS for data access (as opposed to attempting to roll your own data access code) effortlessly makes the SQL injection attack a non-concern. And that's only one of many other benefits, including greatly increased stability and real-world performance and greatly reduced development effort.

But, if you're writing some quick-and-dirty two-page web database app and using user-input to filter records directly, don't get caught by this "oldest trick in the book". Escape any single quotes you find.

Comment

To all security minded A5 Users:

The above thread brought to mind a service I have been personally using for a number of years now. It's URL is:

http://myprivateroom.com

It's an excellent place to store your multitude of "private stuff" and is made up with a series of built it "miniture apps". All data is encypted and it has a particular mini app (called "Shhh!") that I use daily for the over 70 user ids and passwords that I need to remember in my business.

I've established a good relation with the people over there and I can virtually guarantee you that if any of Alpha's members would like to get up to a year of service (normally $60), I will see to it that you get your membership FREE (absolutely no strings attached). Just send me a private message if interested and I'll provide you with further information confidentially.

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X