Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Run WAS as service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Run WAS as service

Alan,

I am having trouble getting FireDaemon to work on my GoDaddy Virtual Dedicated Server. What changes did you have to make to get it to work?

Howard
    Howard G. Cornett, Independent Consultant

Comment

Actually Steve Wood was able to figure out that I needed a setting in the WAS server that I hadn't set. I believe it was the one to automatically start the server when A5 was run. If you're still having trouble let me know and when I get home this afternoon, we can chat. I finally purchased FireDaemon because my trial ran out and it's working great.
      Alan

Comment

Howard, check my website for FireDaemon under the For Developers section. I have some notes on settings.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

I followed those and it still won't start.

Howard

Comment

Are you sure it is not starting? You can't always see the WAS icon in the lower right when it is launched by FireDaemon. I find if I stop/start the service that it shows up. And, if it really is not starting, try this - create a desktop shortcut that does work. Then select that shortcut in FD as the program. It will use those settings. It would help if you posted what settings you have made in FD and what error you see, if any.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

I get error 1053 essentially telling me that it timed out. I think the problem is DEP and I need GoDaddy to add FireDaemon to the list of DEP exceptions.

Howard

Comment

Alan and Steve,

According to GoDaddy, I need a dedicated server -- a virtual dedicated server won't work with FireDaemon. Alan, what kind of server are you using on GoDaddy?

Howard

Comment

I am using a dedicated server.
                  Alan

Comment

I host on a server in my office.

You know, maybe you don't need FireDaemon. FD is required when you want WAS to restart WHEN you ALSO don't want to allow the server to automatically log in. If you do let your server automatically log in (a simple matter for the OS), then WAS will automatically restart.

The reason you don't let your server automatically log in is so that no passerby gains access to your computer. But a virtual server, I'm not even sure that there is any monitor stationed such that someone could even take access. Plus, the server is at GoDaddy, and they aren't going to let anyone access your computer.

Last thought, an alternative to this discussion about WAS as a service is to DO let your server automatically log in (so that WAS starts), but set the ScreenSaver to require a password and to display after just one minute. Yes, someone could intentionally reboot the server, and then stand by as it started up, but not at a world class data center like GoDaddy.

Note - I just put a link on my website (under For Developers) to a server utility named StillUp that alerts you if your server is NOT up and running.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood
                      I host on a server in my office.

You know, maybe you don't need FireDaemon. FD is required when you want WAS to restart WHEN you ALSO don't want to allow the server to automatically log in. If you do let your server automatically log in (a simple matter for the OS), then WAS will automatically restart.

The reason you don't let your server automatically log in is so that no passerby gains access to your computer. But a virtual server, I'm not even sure that there is any monitor stationed such that someone could even take access. Plus, the server is at GoDaddy, and they aren't going to let anyone access your computer.

Last thought, an alternative to this discussion about WAS as a service is to DO let your server automatically log in (so that WAS starts), but set the ScreenSaver to require a password and to display after just one minute. Yes, someone could intentionally reboot the server, and then stand by as it started up, but not at a world class data center like GoDaddy.

Note - I just put a link on my website (under For Developers) to a server utility named StillUp that alerts you if your server is NOT up and running.
                      Hi Steve,
                      I want to personally thank you for all the help you offer on this board as well
                      all the info you provide on your web site, I just signed up for the free trial of
                      "StillUp" this is a grate tool for someone like myself hosting their own server.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK INFORMING US TO NEW THINGS.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Ray Roosa
                      Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Ray - Thank you very much for the compliment. I enjoy it; and pushing myself helps me to maintain a high degree of interest with so many competing priorities in life.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Howard G. Cornett View Post
                          Alan and Steve,

According to GoDaddy, I need a dedicated server -- a virtual dedicated server won't work with FireDaemon. Alan, what kind of server are you using on GoDaddy?

Howard
                          Howard,

Did you ever get WAS up and running on your GoDaddy VDS?

We are in the processing of choosing a new Web Host and were thinking of going with a GoDaddy VDS account. Whether or not it can run WAS will be a huge deciding factor.

Thanks,

Charlain

Comment

I do not recommend using GoDaddy's VDS for WAS. It will NOT work with FireDaemon unless you have a dedicated server, at least that's what I was told. I also don't like how they have completely dumbed down their interface so that if you actually know what you are doing, you can't get it done. Sort of like an experienced web surfer/browser user trying to use AOL. It's a pain. I would go with someone who allows you complete remote control of a server or just go with A5Online.

Howard

Comment

Thanks for the information, Howard. Will steer clear of GoDaddy.

AlphaFiveOnline isn't accepting new customers.

Anybody have a recommendation for a VPS that WILL run WAS?

Thanks,

Charlain

Comment

Howard is correct that WAS won't work on a Godaddy virtual server, but it does function on a dedicated one for sure.
                                Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X