Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Login security concept?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Login security concept?

Guess I am not being clear.

When I navigate my browser to http:\\myserver\mypage.a5w I have in effect requested mypage.a5w from the server. The server gets to do whatever processing is needed to the page before it is ever viewed (or used) by the client. In fact it has to in the case of Xbasic grids.

If I had a Grid defined by Xbasic on this page it would be visible without any input from me other than my telling the browser to get that page. The WAS created what was needed for HTML viewing based on the Xbasic before I even got the page.

What if MD5() was not much more than a place holder that told the WAS to embedd the approprate JavaScript in the page sent to the client that would encrypt the contents of the password textbox in the dialog. This all occures before the client even gets a look at the page.

Is the MD5() function used by the WAS to create an embedded script prior to sending the page requested by the client browser, thereby adding the ability to encrypt the password on the client side. You understand that all this is done done simply by the clients initial request for the page.

Has anyone looked at the source in the browser that results following a page requested from the WAS that included the MD5() function. I'll bet it has some interesting additional scripting (not Xbasic).

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hansolo
      Has anyone looked at the source in the browser that results following a page requested from the WAS that included the MD5() function. I'll bet it has some interesting additional scripting (not Xbasic).
      :-)
      Ok, Hansolo. That's an interesting theory. Still, I doubt that Alpha programmed a Javascript version of MD5() and all the other xbasic encryption methods. It must be something else. If only Lenny would enlighten us.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Chuck, I sent an email to Lenny to ask this question before I saw your last post. As I was writing my email, and referring to the Alpha Help in this area, I think your assumption is correct. I bet the WAS converts all script to equivalent javascript and html and the browser only sees that, no xbasic whatsoever. I will report if Lenny responds directly.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, You don't really believe that Alpha created a parallel language converting xbasic to Javascript do you? It took Alpha years and years to develop xbasic. How could they in relativley short order create a translation program to javascript for thousands of xbasic commands? It just don't add up.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Maybe Chris can chime in and tell us what the view source is showing on his working model above.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich
              Steve, You don't really believe that Alpha created a parallel language converting xbasic to Javascript do you? It took Alpha years and years to develop xbasic. How could they in relativley short order create a translation program to javascript for thousands of xbasic commands? It just don't add up.
              I am not suggesting all Xbasic functions are handled this way but obviously some could be. How the heck do you think the browser shows a table filled with data created from and Alpha5 Xbasic Grid component. As we all know the browser has no idea what Xbasic is and the beauty of the WAS is that it takes Xbasic and translates to something the browser is intrinsically capable of dealing with based on Standards in HTML and yes even JavaScript.

In fact, wasn't their a bug some revisions back where some JavaScript from a source file used by Alpha during the compilation of publishing the a5w pages with a certain component was being corrupted intermittently. I think the workaround was to replace a source file each time the problem occured at the time.

Peter - If I were making a program that allowed JavaScript like functionality but did not want to require the user to learn JavaScript you bet I would wrap it in my own functions. And this does not have to be a conversion process but a simple cut and paste MyFunction = ThisJava(resource file, line#) and pass it the needed object to parce into the script.

But I am most likely wrong.. Just having a good time thinking about it! :-)
              Last edited by Hansolo; 07-10-2006, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Although it just increases the mystery in my mind, Lenny responeded to this question:

...the browser does not know Xbasic, nor do components or A5W pages send Xbasic to it...

In the Alpha Help topic How Pages are Rendered says, in David Byrne lyric, "Perhaps you ask yourself, "How does the browser know what to do with Xbasic?". The answer is that the Web Application Server processes the Xbasic code and replaces it with standard HTML and JavaScript. "
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Take a look at this page from the help file. Look at the graphic in particular.
                  Jim

Comment

Here is the answer to this question. The password travels across the internet in clear text regardless of what method you may deploy using MD5() or other encryption using xbasic.

I set up tcp packet sniffers on both remote and server and tested with various setups. Comments here are correct, Xbasic happens on the server; the login dialog HAS to transmit the password as entered.

I have unintentionally misled many people on this subject.

A good plan now would be to work on a true server-initiated challenge/response method or to deploy javascript on the client that encrypts the password before transmission.

From my obserevation, SSL does properly encrypt all transactions.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood
                      The password travels across the internet in clear text regardless of what method you may deploy using MD5() or other encryption using xbasic.
                      From my obserevation, SSL does properly encrypt all transactions.
                      Ok. So I guess MD5(), etc. is a placebo, then?

Sure SSL works since that functionality is built into the browser.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Not really. By usng MD5() in the login process I allow the client to remove (i.e. not retain) the actual password in the Users table. In my systems you add a password by clicking a New Password button. It asks the password twice, generates and writes the hash value to the database and discards the actual password. If someone were to steal your database, they at least could not get everyone's password. This also hides the password from other employees - no one but the user knows what the password is. If they forget, the system, on request, creates a new random password for them, emails it to them. Then they can change it once they log in.

Back on the reverse-engineering of an encrypted password. I don't think its correct that you can easily reverse a hash value. The methods I reviewed worked on "guessing" the value by throwing a million guesses at it. There are databases containing the most common million passwords people use, and throwing those, one at a time, is one of the 'hack' methods.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood
                          The methods I reviewed worked on "guessing" the value by throwing a million guesses at it. There are databases containing the most common million passwords people use, and throwing those, one at a time, is one of the 'hack' methods.
                          the most common million passwords people use - Ha ha ha !

That cracks me up. "common"? "million"? oxymoron or what? :)
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich
                            Ok, Hansolo. That's an interesting theory. Still, I doubt that Alpha programmed a Javascript version of MD5() and all the other xbasic encryption methods. It must be something else. If only Lenny would enlighten us.
                            First, I believe you (non-specifically, not just Peter) are overly concerned about a non-issue because of a lack of understanding. I'm not saying security is a non-issue, it is very serious business. Rather the discussion of how the browser could execute the Xbasic md5() function is a fruitless diversion. Browsers cannot execute Xbasic and they do not need to. That is the server's job.

As Steve has already pointed out, the browser is sending the clear-text password, unless you have added JavaScript to hash it yourself. But hashing passwords is not intended to protect your info while it is on the wire a simple hash should not be used to secure data in transit. It is not an encryption algorithm, rather it is a one-way hash and cannot be decrypted, though md5 collisions can be generated without much effort. Also, performing the hash on the client would expose the has algorithm to potential crackers.

SSL was created expressly for the purpose of data encryption when sending across the Internet and is what should be used if you want your data to be safe as it travels the network. If you need to send a password, hashed or not, use SSL. SSL is based on a public key/private key pair and uses a strong encryption algorithm*. The packet sniffing done by Steve would be impossible with SSL, he would just see a bunch of garbage.

The reason for hashing passwords is to secure them on the back-end. If your user table were to fall into the wrong hands, and your passwords were not hashed, the person that acquired your table would also know everybody's password. And since we're all guilty of using the same password more places than we should, not only has your application been compromised, but potentially so has your users' web mail, online banking, etc. You might even be legally liable for such a breach if you have not taken steps to protect the sensitive info.

When I do use an md5 hash, I never hash the plain password. You should always use a "salt" as part of your hash to protect against dictionary attacks and other ways to break the passwords. For a simplified example, instead of md5("MyPassword"), I would do md5("this is some salt text that only I know" + "MyPassword"). And you would never want to repeat this algorithm on the client because then your additional measure is fully exposed and defeated.

Incidentally, md5 is a well known algorithm and is already implemented in JavaScript so we wouldn't have to go out and implement it ourselves. We have in fact created some Xbasic->JavaScript conversion routines, but md5() is not one of them. But as I mentioned, I wouldn't be using md5 on the client to hash the password anyway.

Web applications are fundamentally different in architecture from the desktop world that you may be more accustomed to. I recommend some review of client-server interaction in web applications as well as web-related security topics. There is a bit of info in our documentation, but Google will turn up much more. The concepts are the same regardless of the server platform, so if you find a great article that refers to PHP for example, 95% of it is still going to be applicable to your A5W pages. I'll also try to dig up my notes from the security presentation I gave at the users conference 2 years ago to make available.

*SSL actually has a number of algorithms available to it with a number of key lengths. When you visit an SSL-enabled web site, you can view the view the encryption details, as shown here:

Lenny Forziati
                            Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                            Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny Forziati
                              First, I believe you (non-specifically, not just Peter) are overly concerned about a non-issue because of a lack of understanding.
                              Lenny,

Thanks for your learned response. I can't speak for others, but I wasn't overly concerned about encryption, rather I was trying to understand how that could possibly work, so I could better understand WAS/web functionality. As one might logically expect, and as you and Steve have pointed out, it doesn't "work". This has been a great education for me, certainly. I learned something important. And I very much appreciate everyone's input and comments.
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter,

I used to keep clear passwords in my users table, now I don't. When I did, I also had no rules about password creation, they could create whatever they wanted. I saw passwords such as jane (their own name), password1, ppp, or really tricky, kathy when their name was spelled cathy. Now passwords have to be 6+ length, contain a digit not as the first or last character, not contain their login ID, and a few other rules.
                                Steve Wood
                                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                                X