Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

trouble with google indexing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble with google indexing

hi
    i need a little help with a problem my site isnt being indexed by google and it is something that i think that we really need my site www.jollygreenthumb.com has been up since mid june and google has attempted to crawl the site 9-10 times and it has yet to index the first page

i have a sitemap built and google reports no errors in it yet every time it tries to crawl this site it records an error Network unreachable in the details it gives Unreachable URL

the site is being hosted by firmsupport and have made changes in an attempt to correct the problem but to no avail

of course i have not received any answers to my emails to google concerning my problems - and i hope someone here to shed a little light on them

this error has happened on .html pages and .a5w pages

i have included an xl file that i downloaded from googles sitemap site that list the errors and pages

in an effort to attempt to find out the problem i have built a simple html file and served it up on my little server https://www.npwas.com/text.html

and i have used the wordtool on googles adsense site to make the googlebot attempt to crawl the page

i think that you must have an adsense account to use this but the url is https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordTool
    and if you select the 2nd tab "Site-Related Keywords " google will send the googlebot to the page and attempt to scan it for keywords
    and each time i use this tool both for jgt and npwas it returns an error:

Unable to access https://www.npwas.com/text.html.
    We're sorry, but we can't seem to access the URL https://www.npwas.com/text.html. Please make sure you have entered the URL correctly and that the site is currently available. Or, begin the keyword generation process again by entering a different URL.

i am assuming that the adsense tool is a good proxy for the regular googlebot and that the 2 errors are the same

i have included my server logs from www.npwas.com test

it seems that the was is attempting to serve the page but google still
    reports an error 3 issues came to mind
    1. does google recognize the .a5w extension as a valid script extension? i had to list it before the sitemap generator recognized it
      i sent an email to google with this question and they blew me off and sent me to forum hell

i used google search to check for sites and pages using .a5w as the page extension and i found a few but i didnt find any instances that i could say for sure that the .a5w page was crawled - and new links were found - just listing in the index i dont think means that the page was crawled - it could be the destination of a link
    2. is this an issue of having a session id in the url? i understand ,reading some forums, that this may be an issue with google and i cant see what the was returned to the googlebot but if its the same as whats in the logs this might be an issue

accord to Lenny in this post
      http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...76503#poststop

The server will always add the sesison ID to the URL for the first request because it does not yet knwo if the client has a cookie.
      but i have used the google search for "inurl": and "site:" and i can find many instances of url with variations of sessid, sessionid, etc
      that have been indexed but this doesnt mean that the googlebot actually crawled these pages they could just be links that werent followed - cant tell
    3. i am currently wondering if the request "Accept-Encoding: gzip" might have anytthing to do with it

is it possible to change the settings in the WAS to not send the sessionid in the url??
    is it possible to change this setting just for bots and spiders?

does anyone know how to find out if google can crawl and .a5w page ?

thanx in advance
    Last edited by AaronBBrown; 08-21-2006, 11:51 AM.
    regards

martin
    www.jollygreenthumb.com

Re: trouble with google indexing

Your log files show the request from Google being received and a valid response being sent by the server. Once the response is sent, there isn't anything we can do about it. You would have to work with Google to find out if they are getting the response or not. And if they are getting it, only they could tell you why they are not recognizing it as a valid response.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thanks for the reply Lenny

yes the logs indicate that the rquest was handed with no errors but the session_id was appended to the response url and this may be a problem
      dealing with the googlebot

from their sitemaps site -Webmaster guidelines page
      http://www.google.com/support/webmas...l=en#design%22
      Use a text browser such as Lynx to examine your site, because most search engine spiders see your site much as Lynx would. If fancy features such as JavaScript, cookies, session IDs, frames, DHTML, or Flash keep you from seeing all of your site in a text browser, then search engine spiders may have trouble crawling your site.
      is it possible to change the settings in the WAS to not send the sessionid in the url??
      is it possible to change this setting just for bots and spiders by useing the "User-Agent:" property to identify bots and spiders?

it is my ubderstanding that google supports the following media
      Web Media Support:
      HTML,SHTML,PDF,ASP,JSP,PHP,XML,CFM,DOC,XLS,PPT,RTF,WKS,LWP,WRI, and SWF can all be crawled and indexed.

and i am wondering if you folks at alpha have any idea whether google will
      crawl and index a page with a .A5W extension as it does for other script languages?

have you folks at alpha requested google to support crawling and indexing .A5w pages?
      if not is there a way you know of that i might do this?

thanks for your assistance
      regards

martin
      www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

Originally posted by martin horzempa
        The incoming request already had the session id in the URL, the server didn't add it.

is it possible to change this setting just for bots and spiders by useing the "User-Agent:" property to identify bots and spiders?
        The user agent string is available to you in the A5W environment and you can conditionalize your code upon it if desired.

it is my ubderstanding that google supports the following media

and i am wondering if you folks at alpha have any idea whether google will
        crawl and index a page with a .A5W extension as it does for other script languages?
        have you folks at alpha requested google to support crawling and indexing .A5w pages?
        if not is there a way you know of that i might do this?
        Google and other spiders should be agnostic about the scripting language. Your A5W page is generating output with a MIME type of "text/html", so it is just an HTML page from the spider's point of view

Lenny Forziati
        Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
        Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thanks again Lenny

i am still wondering if i can stop appending the
          A5W_Sess_ID to the url on the first request from a client

and if so - how would that be accomplished

i just received an acknowledgement from google
          so i am attaching it
          thanx again
          regards

martin
          www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

I am getting this exact problem with google webmaster tools.

It has no probems with my sitemap/robot files yet complains that pages are "unreachable URLs" !!!

The last succesful time it crawled my site was over a year ago - and that was before I used any of the webmaster tools/site maps etc.

The only thing I can think of is that at the time is was sucessful, I was using an index.html as the entry page and that was the only page it every indexed. all .a5w pages are completely ignored - even though they are in the sitemap.

Any ideas please - we are loosing a lot of potentional customers.

Antony

Comment

Working...
            X