Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Lookup Data Incorrect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookup Data Incorrect

I have a dialog form that does a lookup. Instead of inserting the data from the lookup, the field name is placed in the dialog. I have tried everything and cannot get this to work. Any ideas of where I am going wrong? See JPG

Re: Lookup Data Incorrect

I'm having the same problem, but oddly, it is not consistant. Some lookups are working, but others not, even on the same form! in the picture, the person and company lookups at the top are working, but the address lookups aren't. I can't see any difference in the definitions.

I've reported this as a bug, but haven't received a reply yet.

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat, I have sent a bug report as well along with all the necessary files. All we can do is wait....let's hope for a solution....

Comment

Have you guys both updated your software to the most recent version (3033)?

I just did it last night, and that's when my problems started. I'm having the exact same thing happen with my lookups.

I just rolled the version back to 3018, and now the lookups are working again, although the WAS seems to be responding very s-l-o-w.

I'm still working on the problem, but I think the latest patch may have caused some of it.
        Sergeant Richard Hartnett
        Hyattsville City Police Department
        Maryland

Comment

I am using the latest version 3033, when I have the time I will try the 3018

Comment

I just re-booted my server and now it's flying. I guess there is a bug of some sort in the latest patch (3033) that's affecting the lookups.

I hate not running the latest version software, but I think in this case, I'd better leave version 3018 alone.

Rich
            Maryland

Comment

Well I gotta tell you guys, I spoke too soon. I've been pulling my hair out all day long with this issue.

As it turns out, reverting back to patch 3018 did solve my lookup problem, but caused other problems as well. Mainly, whenever someone tried to print to .pdf or .rtf (I have both types in my reports), the system would lock up, and no one could then access the WAS at all. It also prevented me from closing out of Alpha 5, and I had to force it to shut down with Cntrl+Alt+Del. Closing the program and restarting it was the only way the WAS could be accessed, until someone tried to print again, and then we were back to square one.

I tried to uninstall Version 7 completely, so I could install a fresh copy, and was unable to do so. Kept getting a message saying I was missing an "Install.xxx" file.

I downloaded the trial version of Version 7 anyway and installed it again. Once again the lookup problem reared its ugly head (the web download probably includes the latest patch), although the reports were working again. I rolled back to 3018 again, and now the lookups worked, but the reports wouldn't work and the system freeze-up problem was back. I couldn't win :(

Anyway, I've since rolled back to 3031, and everything seems to be working normal again.

I'm sure this is just a bug in the most recent patch, but I'm going to stick with this earlier version until I hear that the problem has been resolved.

Please note that I did not have a problem with 3018 until I upgraded to 3033 AND installed the V7 Pre-Release Patch from this location:

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...full_patch.exe

There might be a bug in either 3033 or the Pre-Release Patch, but I'm betting on the pre-release patch, since I was still having problems with 3018 after installing the pre-release patch.

Lenny or Selwyn, you probably need to take a look at this.

Rich
              Maryland

Comment

I'm feeling kind of guilty about this problem since it was my complaint about not being able to do a lookup if the field had an apostrophe that caused them to change the lookup in the recent patches. As you say, prior to that it was working fine (except for the apostrophe issue).

Anyway, hopefully it is something simple and they can fix it quickly!!!

Pat
                Pat Bremkamp
                MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Just received this from Selwyn

i have confirmed that it is a bug and i have fixed it. fix will be in the next patch.
                  the bug only happens if the lookup grid (i.e. the one that is popped up) has alternating row colors turned on.
                  you can work around the bug in the mean time by editing your component and turning off alternating row colors

Comment

Wow, I would never have guessed that one!

But, it's easy to implement the workaround.

Pat
                    Pat Bremkamp
                    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I am up and looking good...who would have guessed....???? At least there is a solution...

Comment

I'm feeling kind of guilty about this problem since it was my complaint about not being able to do a lookup if the field had an apostrophe that caused them to change the lookup in the recent patches. As you say, prior to that it was working fine (except for the apostrophe issue).
                        Pat you shouldn't feel guilty at all. I made a bug report about the very same problem with the apostrophe in the lookups just recently, not knowing that you had already done the very same thing.

Besides, as we all know from database development, sometimes the things that fix one problem, cause another. Live and learn.

The good thing is that the great folks at Alpha 5 always work hard and quick to take care of these types of problems, and although we sometimes have to pull our hair out while trying to figure out what went wrong, in the end, the problems are usually corrected or correctable in short order.

Don't beat yourself up over it. :)
                        Maryland

Comment

Guys,

I am also having this intermittant problem. When should we expect to have a patch available to fix this?

Denis

Comment

Denis, if you have a reproducible bug you should use the Send a Bug Report option on your A5 help menu to submit a report with copy of the database and instructions on how to see the misbehavior. -- tom

Comment

Does anyone know when the patch will be released to solve this issue?

I need the WAS v7 patch for solving this problem. I know the beta patch, but I need the beta or official patch for WAS v7. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                              X