Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Massive File Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive File Sizes

I am converting a database from V9 to V10 (which I LOVE!!). However, my file sizes have grown HUGE. The old database with all the data was 29MB. The new database with no data (see attached) is nearly 4GB and takes a long time to compact. The patient master.ddm file alone is nearly 2GB.

This seems like A5 isn't cleaning up after itself. Is anyone else having this problem? I did do a lot of designing and changing of forms, but I deleted those I am not using.

I attached a .RAR file, because 2GB is apparrently too big for .zip.
    David A. Volgas, MD

Re: Massive File Sizes

Hi David,

If you have an excessively large memo file (*.fpt) or large dictionary memo file (*.ddm, *.sem, *.alm), then you have a corrupt memo file associated with the table, set, dictionary or database. Use a backup of that file the associated other 2 files that go with it. Only a used data memo field should ever reach anything close to 2 GB, which is the maximum size for Windows normally.
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

I'd use a backup if I had one, but I am actively developing forms and experimenting with new screen layouts (and new desktop gadgets), so my backups are several versions old. I will lose the work I have done on the files.

I guess I don't understand why using the tools to repair the memo file, compact the database, etc don't work on these "corrupt" files.
      David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Originally posted by davidv43 View Post
        I'd use a backup if I had one, but I am actively developing forms and experimenting with new screen layouts (and new desktop gadgets), so my backups are several versions old. I will lose the work I have done on the files.
        This is why the correct procedure for backups is to keep older ones progressively less, but still there. E.g. one for every year, rotating through 1 for every month of the year (reusing the month each year), 1 for every week of the month, and 1 for every day of the week. Then you can go back to a backup just before the corruption.

I guess I don't understand why using the tools to repair the memo file, compact the database, etc don't work on these "corrupt" files.
        If it's a table fpt file, you just need a new data file with the fpt file, the dictionary files should be alright for that table and can be copied with all the forms and operations there. The reverse is also true if the dictionary is there. (Exception might be Index names longer than 10 characters may e truncated)

If you really need recovery services for the global code and things stored in the AL* files, I'm probably the only one with tools that can potentially recover that from the *.alm file.

One thing you can try is create a new table or set, then copy the forms and other objects from one to the other.
        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira,

thank you for the help. I don't guess that I am explaining myself well. I am currently writing a database and designing forms for use with it. I may redesign a form 10 times before it looks and works the way I want it to.

The file which is too big is the DDM file. I don't know what's in it, but when I replaced it with an older version, the forms don't work at all correctly.
          David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Hi David,

The DDM, DDX, and DDD files all go together. You can't change one without the other. They all have the table's layouts, operations, fieldrules etc., but no data.

You may be able to use the duplicate table structure to copy the good stuff, but it may not work.

If not, you may be able to copy the layouts and operations individually to another table to recover them, then use the recovered ones in a recreated set of dictionary files.

Compacting a corrupted memo file (DDM in this case) may not help at all.

Recovery is an expensive process, either time or money. How much time does a backup take? Why do you think my CSDA Code Utility has a backup of Data Dictionaries feature?
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira,

I sincerely appreciate all your help through the years. You have always been a reliable and valuable voice on these boards.

My question is this: when can I expect file corruption to happen? If it happens only during development when one is changing forms, field rules, etc, then fine. I can handle that - although constantly monitoring your file size to make sure it hasn't become corrupted adds to development time substantially and negates much of the purported benefit of developing with A5.

If corruption happens during routine use of the database after development is finished, that's a real problem. I have never had to restore an Access database (of which I have several) unless there was a hardware failure. No mistake, A5 beats Access hands-down in terms of capability, but I don't have time to constantly monitor the files for corruption. I need a fairly maintanence-free system once the development is complete.

With all respect, if you can offer a product which backs up and restore critical files, why can't Alpha?

It is possible that I'm the only one who has experienced this type of corrupt files and file size bloat, and if that is the case, then I will accept my bad luck and re-do the work I've done with confidence that it won't happen again.

Dave
              David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

One more question - does eliminating memo fields in the database solve anything?
                David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David, memo field bloat has been discussed a number of times in the various desktop forums. Finding the threads is difficult because of the different ways folks describe the issue. Dr. Wayne has the definitive article on bloat prevention at www.learn alpha.com. Look for an article there called "memos and browses that work". The procedure outlined there should be used to protect user entered memo data.

In your case the corruption seems to have occurred during development of the database. The article just mentioned won't help you much with that. The best course during development is frequent backups throughout each development session. If you write scripts and functions like me, they fail many times before I "get them right". These failures can leave Alpha Five in an unstable condition and lead to problems. Having a recent backup handy is a godsend. And, it's easy to tell from the size of the resulting zip file whether the backup itself contains a bloated memo file. Ira's utility makes it dead easy to make interim backups (dictionaries only, or dictionaries + data).

Comment

Thanks, Tom. To the question of how stable the system is once development is complete, I assume you and Ira find it stable enough to warrant heavy use.
                    David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Hi David,

To the question of how stable the system is once development is complete, I assume you and Ira find it stable enough to warrant heavy use.
                      I have never seen the data dictionary memo field (*.alm, *.sem, *.ddm) ever grow beyond say 30 Megabytes. Compacting reduces it down to smallest possible sizes for what is stored. I'd say it's extremely stable. And believe me, I am one of the few (Cal Locklin, and Bill Parker being others), that fool with the data dictionaries directly, and have never had any issues.
                      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

I've never had problems with a data dictionary memo file either so I'll agree that it's rare.

I have seen problems with a memo field for the data but even that was a long time ago. Even the one large "problem" v9 application (strange errors and crashes that seem to be memory related) of mine that is used by multiple small companies has never had a memo file corruption even though there are memos related to the two main tables and multiple memos are updated daily. (Uh oh, I hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that!:()

Due to those past problems I still try to keep memo field usage to a minimum, never use RTF memos (just because I find them quirky), and for all but the simplest tables, keep the memos in a separate table a la "memo fields that work" just so I don't have to worry about losing the rest of the data if the memo file gets corrupted. (Although I'm pretty sure now that that, too, could be overcome.)

Something that may or may not be helping me is that my newer apps "override" the default memo editing. In some of them I don't allow editing in the basic memo window but, instead, require the user to click the "pencil icon" which I've replaced with a "user control" that opens a separate xdialog window for editing the memo. The original reason for doing this was to see if it improved the reliability of memos because it was using table mode access instead of form mode (I can't tell if it did or not) but I then discovered that I could have a memo editor that would allow the user to either view or edit the memo without putting the main form into Change mode. That had been a pet peeve of mine for a long time - just opening the full memo for viewing would put the form into Change mode then users would get confused wondering what they had changed - so now I use this on most new apps that use plain text memos. The routine also allows the user to insert a new line with date or date/time at either the top or bottom of the memo depending on which argument the developer (me) sets.

Comment

Working...
                        X