Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Parent table restricted: refetching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parent table restricted: refetching

I must not understand sets and there use on forms which contain the entire database. Please see the attached database. After I enter a record on the first page and second page, I then want to enter a second record in the "Injury" page for the same patient. I select a new record with the navigation buttons at the top of the Injury tab. However, I get an error message "Parent table restricted: refetching". I've checked all the obvious things (I think) like restrictions on the forms, set restrictions, etc.

I know my set structure is convuluted and maybe not right. My goal was to make sure that when I enter a record in the Injury table, it remains linked to the Patient Master table, and so on.

I know this is a complicated database. I am open to other ways to present data to the user. The tabbed form seems a very concise way to do it.

Thank you for taking your time to look at it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave
    David A. Volgas, MD

Re: Parent table restricted: refetching

Hi David,
    I took a look but did not get far....seems to be a bit of corruption and so only default forms open (possibly due to your reducing your database down for the messageboard). So I could not reproduce your problem--perhaps also the reason why no one responded.

I did notice you have referential integrity on for every linkage--I have noticed odd problems when trying to use this even on a few linkages. I recommend taking this aspect off at least for diagnostics sake. You also have two date fields required that the main form apparently has no access to mfa->date and smfa->date....the non-access possibly due to default forms??? no clue.
    Mike

Comment

Mike,

thanks! I changed the set definition to include all parent records instead of include only records which have a child and that made it work.

As a concept, I thought referential integrity was in part to make sure that records from different tables didn't get disconnected (broken or missing key). How do I make sure that the key in the child form is the same as the key in the parent form if, for instance, someone changes the parent key without referential integrity selected.

Is the referential integrity problem a bug? If so, I'll report it to Alpha.

Again, thank you for your time in looking at my database.

Dave
      David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

I'll try sending the files again ...
        David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David,
          was in part to make sure that records from different tables didn't get disconnected (broken or missing key).
          From what I understand, not exactly. It is to make sure that if a parent has one or more children, then when the parent is deleted the children are also....IOW if there is no parent, there cannot be orphans of that parent. As soon as I had odd problems I took off referential integrity which fixed the problems and never went back to using it---simply created routines to make sure if any children existed, that they were deleted prior to the parent deletion.

I have not checked the new file you attached yet---didn't you say that it is working now?
          Mike

Comment

Thanks again, Mike. I included the file again so our friends at Alpha could look at it and see if this is a bug or a misunderstanding on my part. Referential integrity is a big deal for me.

On the other hand, I think probably what I should do is change my primary key to something users cant modify. Otherwise, if they change the value of the primary key, I will have to programatically change the foreign keys in the child records, if i turn off RI.

dave
            David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David,
              You should never (IMO) use any key that can be changed by a user!!! For what purpose? A key is a linkage field and should never (IMO) be changed as that then negates its purpose. Ref. Integrity does nothing I am aware of in doing any changes to a key---it just makes certain that if a parent is deleted, then all children of that parent (which is determined by the key) will also be deleted. A primary key is one that should have one purpose and can think of no good reason to use it for another. Add a field to do what is wanted instead.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                Ref. Integrity does nothing I am aware of in doing any changes to a key---
                The cascade changes does...

"Cascade changes/deletes" - You are not permitted to change the child table�s linking field value. If you make changes to the value of the linking field in the parent table, matching records in the child table are updated to reflect the change.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan....but
                  You are not permitted to change the child table’s linking field value. If you make changes to the value of the linking field
                  Isn't the first unbolded statement the opposite of the one in bold??

OOPS! I now see the difference!! But then does this make Ref Integrity not possible for when child records do actually change parents in some real life scenarios??
                  Mike

Comment

I have now changed my database to have only a primary key as the link between parent and child and it is an auto-incremented number in the parent. It will never be changed once assigned. The patient ID number (medical record number) remains in the database, but is no longer the primary key.

My original question remains ... why does linking to a child using the option to include parent record "only if child record exists" cause a "Parent table restricted: refetching" error?

Dave
                    David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Maybe I have figured it out ...

I have already retreived a record, say primary key = "00001". When I try to add a new child record when the set defines the relationship as "include parent record only when child exists", the new record has a foreign key value which is null until the record is created. Alpha tries to enforce the set definition, but there is no parent with a null primary key so it triggers the error.

If the set definition were not enforced until after the primary key were duplicated in the new child record, this would not occur.

Thoughts?

dave
                      David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David,
                        I would recommend something different. I would recommend that you remove referential integrity and place a script in the field rules for the MRN field which is your primary and foriegn key that checks to see if the form is in 'enter' mode and allow the field value entry, but if in 'change' mode to disallow the field to be changed. And then have a password protected administrative function that allows an administrator to change a MRN from all tables with MRN as a field (listed in a table). Attached is an example.
                        Last edited by Mike Wilson; 12-03-2009, 01:11 PM.
                        Mike W

Comment

Thanks, Mike. Havent had time to understand your programming, but the concept makes sense.

If I don't use referential integrity on a set, does the program automatically set the value of a foreign key to the key value in the parent if I use a subform? That was really the biggest reason I was using referential integrity in the first place.

Thanks,
                          Dave
                          David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David,
                            I don't use subforms, but the parent-child integrity should always be active in a set to insert the link field value in the child when adding new records. My understanding of referential integrity relates to what happens in the downfield children when you delete records. I just tried it and it seems to work with the limited trials I made. Maybe others who use subforms might chime in on this question.
                            Last edited by Mike Wilson; 12-08-2009, 08:10 AM.
                            Mike W

Comment

Mike, I have a database with more than 500 fields from 7 different tables. It's obviously impractical to design a single form which could handle all that data and the tabbed interface seems to cause more problems than it solves. What design would you use to accommodate all this data entry?

You said you don't use subforms. Is there a better alternative?
                              Thanks,

dave
                              David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X