Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Damaged DBF File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged DBF File

I have an application that has been running troublefree for many years. Problems have just started and when I examine the dbf file with the default browse view, I can see that in some of the records, some text fields are showing symbols and random characters instead of the original text.
    There are many programs for sale that claim to repair damaged dbf files, can anyone reccommend a good one please, is it repairable? or would I simply be wasting money trying to repair it.
    Many thanx for any advice.
    David Priest

Re: Damaged DBF File

Hi David,

Apart from asking about repair software, are you saying that the file has become corrupted by using V10?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Thanx Keith, but no, I do not think it has been damaged by V10, cant work out the reason, power interruption, someone not closing down Alpha properly, virus, dont know.
      David

Comment

I've been working on a project for several months now and all trouble free until the lastest releases. Among other problems I've now just discovered my main file is corrupt. Images missing, memo file displaying the same type of characters you're seeing. I've got lots of backups but I'll be missing some data.

Comment

Hi David,

Originally posted by David Priest View Post
          I have an application that has been running troublefree for many years. Problems have just started and when I examine the dbf file with the default browse view, I can see that in some of the records, some text fields are showing symbols and random characters instead of the original text.
          There are many programs for sale that claim to repair damaged dbf files, can anyone reccommend a good one please, is it repairable? or would I simply be wasting money trying to repair it.
          Many thanx for any advice.
          David Priest
          I think if you have backups, it might be a waste of money, but you need to at least identify the bad data, and they might be helpful with that. But here are some thoughts that might be of some help to you.

Physical Sources of corruption
          In cases I have seen, it is almost always a hardware issue that is the real cause. Network components like network cables, connectors, NIC cards, and the like. Occasionally, it is bad memory, or a bad motherboard corrupting memory, and one time, a long time ago, it was a very fast hard drive controller.

Software Sources of corruption
          • Alpha crashes but still kind of works - users keep using it without restarting Alpha and/or windows
          • Alpha reports a stack problem, but users keep using it without restarting Alpha
          • Vista/Microsoft - I just had to throw this one in !:D
          Detection
          • There is an alpha tool in the functions to find index file corruptions, and those should be watched to find when failures are starting to happen. Indexes typically get corrupted 1st, but no one realizes it.
          • Weird locking issues are also indicative of a problem.
          • The more highly typed your fields, the easier it is to find issues. For examples, alphabetic characters in dates, times, or numbers where they shouldn't be.
          • Almost always, the data from within a server is corrupted within physical hard drive blocks, so will typically be in a multiple of 4k depending upon how your drive is formatted.
          • Bad Network issues can be any size of bad data but will be intermittent.
          • Workstation motherboards/memory can also be bad at any size but will also be random.
          Ways to Stop them
          • One way to fix an intermittent problem with the dbf server itself is to have a verify after write option. You pay about 5% speed, but it is worth it.
          • Create a transaction file to indicate changed data, who changed them and when
          • Use better hardware.
          • Separate Memo fields into their own linked table
          • Don't use memo fields. The memo field is more likely to be corrupted than the fields in a DBF. Some people just write text files associated with the record.
          • Use SQL instead of DBF
          Fixing them
          • For NIC cards and network, replace the bad one(s), which is extremely difficult to find unless you have clues like valid user ID and time stamps in the same record where data that was corrupted indicate who changed the data.
          • If you have backups, it is best to restore the corrupted records from an older backup that is not corrupted. You may have to go back progressively till you find one that is good.
          • Use a recovery tool. They are not miracle workers, but sometimes can find some missing/corupt data. I used one a long time ago, but nothing recently. Many have trial versions that show you but don't allow recovery.
          • I offer services that can recover Alpha Five AEX files, some memo files and some dictionary corruptions, as well as process the raw data using a variety of parsing tools to look for problems. Some of these are last resorts, as it can be very time-intensive. Backups are always better!
          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
          New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
            I've got lots of backups but I'll be missing some data.
            Hi David,
            Look back as far as possible in your backupfiles to find out the first moment you had dataproblems. Maybe you have transfered the data from another computer to the current? Important to be sure about that.

Ton
            Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
              But here are some thoughts that might be of some help to you.
              Hi Ira,
              Thanks for your recommendations.
              Do you have - in this context - something to say about defragmenting the hard drive?
              Sometimes it can be necessary, but I remain reluctant to use it, but I can not describe real reason. So I have no better idea than only make one additional backup.

Ton

Comment

Ton,
                It seems that you are stuck on 350 posts to this board and have been for quite a while. ;)
                Mike W

Comment

Striking,
                  I've fixed it now.
                  Must be a Damaged DBF file.

Thanks for warning

Comment

Ira,
                    Don't use memo fields.
                    I realize that this abstinence would insure that a user would never have a memo field issue....but what would you recommend then for lists that a simple (or even multiple) character fields could not handle?? A text file perhaps outside of Alpha??
                    Mike

Comment

Many thanx to everyone for all the help. Thanx Walt for the file repair.
                      To prevent future problems, we have now installed a regular dated backup system...
                      Thanx again

David

Comment

Working...
                      X