Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Major problem-losing records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major problem-losing records

I posted a thread on this same topic a few day ago. However I thought it would be best to start a new thread as I have observed some different behavor than previously reported and I have more information

I have been using Alpha Five for many years and have not known this problem to ever occur until I started using version 10 (build 2814-3539)

I have a form with an embedded browse. The browse contains records having an empty date field. When I enter dates sometimes the record disappears. This has happend numerous times but not every time I enter a date. The last occurance of this I entered dates for 4 records and only one record was lost. If I look at the table the record count is unchanged because the lost record is replaced by a duplicate record. In this instanace record number 60 was replaced by a copy of record number 93.

I have lots of questions but no answers.
    1. Why doesn't this occur every time?
    2. Does it depend on some action just before I enter dates or just after or some combination?
    3. Is there something different about the records that are lost ? I don't think so but don't really know.
    4. I have a number of very similar forms in my database. Why doesn't this occur with the other forms. Maybe it will eventually since it only happens sometimes with the form in question and I haven't had time to check all the other forms.
    5. Is the record always replaced by one 33 records away? Don't think so but don't know for sure.
    6. How can I prevent this? I guess the obvious answer is to remove version 10 and go back to version 9. Just chalk it up to a bad decision on my part to buy the newest version. On the other hand I am not 100% certain this did not happen with previous versions. I would need to investigate a lot of backup copies to determine this ... not something I have time to do at this moment.
    7. This form (as well as several others) has an onkey script. Could that be a problem even though it worked perfectly in preivious versions? A copy of that script follows:
    filter= "egh_ds_form ={} .and.( left(status,6)='active' .or. left(status,4)='sust')"\
    +" .and. containsi(exemptions,'*security*')=.F. .and. containsi(lname,'*open*')=.f."

tbl=table.current()
    query.order="lname+fname+middle_name"
    query.filter= filter
    query.options=""

IF a_user.key.value = "{enter}" THEN
    a_user.key.handled = .T.
    IF a_user.key.event = "down" THEN
    browse1.activate()
    sys_send_keys("{right}{right}{right}{right}")
    end if
    end if

IF a_user.key.value = "{F1}" THEN
    a_user.key.handled = .T.
    tbl=table.current()
    tbl.change_begin()
    tbl.EGH_DS_form=var->TBdate
    tbl.change_end(.t.)
    sys_send_keys("{tab}{home}")
    END IF
    END IF

dim shared tempstr as c
    dim shared posn as n
    dim shared choice as c

IF a_user.key.value = "{ESC}" THEN
    a_user.key.handled = .T.
    choice=""
    tempstr=""
    qry=tbl.query_create()
    ' browse1.resynch()
    choice.activate()
    END IF
    END IF

IF a_user.key.value = "{F2}" THEN
    a_user.key.handled = .T.
    browse1.activate()
    sys_send_keys("{right}{right}{right}")
    END IF
    END IF
    dim up as c
    dim repeat as c
    'table.current().index_primary_put("lname")

if this.active()="choice" then
    select
    case a_user.key.event="down"
    if left(a_user.key.value,1)="{" then
    'it's a control key or backspace or function key
    select
    case a_user.key.value="{BACKSPACE}"
    if posn>0 then
    posn=posn-1
    tempstr=iif(posn=0,"",left(tempstr,posn))
    a_user.key.handled=.t.
    end if
    case else
    ' pass through
    a_user.key.handled=.f.
    end select
    else
    posn=posn+1
    tempstr=tempstr+a_user.key.value
    a_user.key.handled=.t.
    end if
    case a_user.key.event="up"
    up=a_user.key.value
    a_user.key.handled=.t.
    case a_user.key.event="repeat"
    repeat=a_user.key.value
    a_user.key.handled=.t.
    end select

table.current().fetch_find(tempstr)
    browse1.resynch()
    browse1.scroll_current_row(1)
    choice=tempstr
    curs_posn=posn+1
    topparent.cursor_set(curs_posn)
    choice.refresh()
    end if

Note: I sometimes enter the date via the <F1> key and sometimes by typing the date

This is nightmare as I am, so far, unable to reproduce the problelm by my actions. It just seems to happen randomly. Certainly there must be some event that causes this loss of records.

I hope someone has some suggestions.

Re: Major problem-losing records

Don't know about your script - dosn't have time to look at it. But I had similar problems involving embedded browse w. date field - AND browse allows data entry/edit. As far as I am concerned it was a bug. Can't say your problem is the same as mine, but it sounds exactly like mine. Cure = do not allow data entry in embedded browse.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Arlen, your script is harder to read than it has to be because you neglected to preserve its format using html code tags. If you don't know how to do that with the message board's advanced editor consider attaching a zip copy of a formatted text file. It will help us give meaningful feedback.

Parts of your onkey event script seem to be manipulating the table beneath the form using commands that talk directly to the table. Other parts of your code seem to be manipulating objects in the form that are based on the same table. I think this is perilous and unwise. Pick one horse and ride it. Don't switch saddles in the middle of the same script.

Your code does not check the mode of your form (or the underlying table) at any point. Some of your scripted statements will fail if the table is already in change mode. It's also possible that your query code is misbehaving if the table is not first restored to "show all" mode before the next query is run.

Can't say these concerns are actual causes of the problems you're seeing, but these are things that I noticed. They're where I'd begin work if I wanted to try to tighten up your sequences.

-- tom

Comment

Tom: Thanks for your very helpful comments. I will revist my code. My concern is that I had no trouble with this same code in previous versions.

Comment

Forgot to add another comment to my previous reply.

I have also discovered that an auto incremented field which is the linking field in my sets has become a duplicate of another record. When this record was originally added to the table this field was correct. I believe it changed in the last couple of days.

Comment

Arlen, good luck with your trouble shooting. Fine tuning a specific data entry sequence using the embedded browse object is often very difficult. Peter's idea may, in the long run, be simpler and more reliable.

As you know, the onkey event script will fire after every key stroke. In some of your code you use sys_send_keys() to move the cursor without first verifying which field or column currently has focus. what happens, for example, if the user presses the Enter key after the browse already has focus? Is that different from what happens if the user presses the Enter key when the browse does not have focus? What happens if a change is pending elsewhere on the form and the user presses ENTER? The possibilities are often quite large. They all have to be trapped.

Comment

Working...
            X