Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

WiKI serious shortcomings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WiKI serious shortcomings

many times I work with no web access(plane, friends house overnight, antiquated hotels, during a rain while fishing, race track, etc). The wiki is no positive for me and having looked there am not impressed at all.

We will see if it gets better.

Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by gkeramidas View Post
      al, i know where to set it, but it's the local help source not being updated that bothers me.
      Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
      or from v10 itself. I'm not sure how much they want users to find it.
      gary

I thought I was replying to Mr. Parker.. ie (Bill)
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

For those of us who already went through the painful learning curve of finding things in the CHM, the WIKI presents a new and painful "unlearning" curve, as well as a new learning curve!!

Being a wee bit on the old and crotchety side (unlike Peter, hehe,) I hate stuff like this, and am known to grumble, sounding like Silas Marner according to my granddaughter.

So far, I have been able to find what I am looking for, but there is definitely a learning curve, and I hope they keep working to refine it - like permitting the parentheses, etc.
        Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

Unless Alpha can bring across all the code snippets and samples from the messageboard into the WIKI I have hardly any use for it...I can find almost everything between the messageboard and the online help file...and relatively fast.

When I cannot find it then I look at the What's New for various versions, the release note, then lastly at the WIKI. Apparently the WIKI is the only help file that will be updated which, in time, means I will have to learn the ins and outs of that as well....considering the time it took to get good at using the online help I am not looking forward to this at all.

I guess it comes down to more time looking/learning how to look, and less time helping out.....:(
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
            ....into the WIKI I have hardly any use for it...I can find almost everything between the messageboard and the online help file...and relatively fast.
            I fall into this same category. To me it is completely counterintuitive and not user friendly.

The irony to me is that if the effort that was put into creating the wiki had been put into creating an Alpha driven website containing all the same information.....I can EASILY see it being more useful / easy to use. PLUS......you could not of asked for a better sales tool for the program itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
              Has anyone added something to a Wiki page yet? How did that go? I come across examples that don't work. I'm wondering how we will be able to correct them.
              Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you see it, all changes apparently need to be submitted and approved before they will be included.

I've sent in at least one suggestion and it has been incorporated. It took a bit longer than I expected but it did get added. I think I sent in a second one but can't recall what it was.

Comment

i'm curious where the impetus for this project came from. i just don't see developers clamoring for this and why it's being forced upon everybody. there was nothing wrong with the local help system and it needs to stay local.

i don't install alpha in the cloud, i install it on my pc and that's where the help file belongs.

Comment

I still use the old help 95% of the time. The Wiki has potential but needs a lot of work. It's too bad it started out as a port from the old help system. I'd rather see it built from scratch even though I know that would take forever. It's odd to look at a new Wiki and use functions in web app where the documentation clearly says this is for Desktop only. I know its wrong.

I too would like a function index, broken in to broad groups.If there is a Favorites setting somewhere, I've missed it. I'd really like if it allowed me to edit the pages, add my own comments.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                    ...I'd really like if it allowed me to edit the pages, add my own comments.
                    I've [sort of] taken care of that problem for myself Steve. I purchased a program for building .chm Help files (I needed it for other things) and am slowly building an "A5 Function Notes" help file for myself. Eventually I expect to make it available to other A5 users but it's only just getting started at this point.

It is based on my free A5v5 Help file (which actually includes many functions from v6, 7, and 8 as well) but, unfortunately, the old help file was a .HLP file and I have no way to convert it to a .CHM file. As a result, things from the old file are only very slowly being copied to the new file.

IF ANYONE HAS A GOOD .HLP TO .CHM CONVERSION PROGRAM AND IS WILLING TO HELP OUT, PLEASE CONTACT ME.

New entries will be more limited. My only intentions for new entries are to:

1. Make it easier to find specific functions by providing a better variety of keywords.
                    Example: Instead of just "remove" for <ptr>.Remove(), include other words like "delete" and "erase" because I assume that someone is looking for the function because they don't know what the actual function name is to start with - only what they want it to do. (This was also a key reason for using my original A5v5 Help file.)

2. Add special comments to existing functions about how they should be used, limitations, etc. This is the only really "new" aspect of my new version - no emphasis on syntax, etc. that already exists in other help files. (see attachment for a screenshot of one of my more complex "special comments")

The newer entries should NOT be expected to contain syntax or any comments/examples that are already in the A5 help or WIKI files.

I suspect that the WIKI may solve some of the issues in #2 IF users will submit additional info and that doesn't become overwhelming for the guys at Alpha.

My real problem is with item #1. I get the impression that they don't really understand how difficult it can be to find a function when you don't know what the function is but only have an idea that it should exist. For example, run a *search* on "delete" and try to find the File.Remove() function.
                    - You cannot find it that way in the WIKI. (At least I couldn't find it.)
                    - You can find it in the .chm help file IF you don't mind carefully looking through over 400 hits - and you're lucky enough not to miss it.
                    - You cannot find it in the .chm help file if you run an Index search.

The index search returns fewer hits because it is based on keywords - that's great because it should be a more focused search BUT they didn't put enough thought and time into adding synonyms and related terms as keywords.

BTW, my original A5v5_Help file (actually the A5v4 version) was created because at the time all Alpha had was a PDF file. I simply copied the text in their PDF file to my .HLP file. It was a long and tedious process just to copy the text and add keywords so I understand that adding all those keywords takes time but it would be a HUGE benefit for users.

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about, install my A5v5 Help file and run a search on "delete". There are 31 hits that are directly related to "deleting/removing/clearing/erasing/etc." something and 25 do not have the word "delete" in them.

BTW, for those who have read this far, if you have a pet peeve about finding a specific function or would like to submit some comments about a function, I suggest submitting them to the WIKI first. If they don't get included there, send them to me and I will include them in my file as long as they are valid comments.

Comment

Of course I agree....but
                      For example, run a *search* on "delete" and try to find the File.Remove() function.
                      - You cannot find it that way in the WIKI. (At least I couldn't find it.)
                      - You can find it in the .chm help file IF you don't mind carefully looking through over 400 hits - and you're lucky enough not to miss it.
                      - You cannot find it in the .chm help file if you run an Index search.
                      When this happens to me and cannot think of any other synonyms at the time, I start looking at the more inclusive lists such as file functions/methods, table functions/methods, etc. and can then just browse the list and usually will come up with what I need.....

It is definitely something that one has to learn to do and I find that many users here just don't care to....they want it to be easy and not have to spend any time learning how to do this. Given that it should be easy, I still am in awe of the half dozen or so people I have offered an hour or so to teach how I do it (at no charge) have never taken me up on it!! Admirable that they want to learn how on their own, but then I feel they have no right to complain either! :) As a result I have not offered this to anyone for quite a while and now have gotten too busy to do so.
                      Mike

Comment

Mike,

While I basically agree, my issue is in the second item (new emphasis added):

IF you don't mind carefully looking through over 400 hits - and you're lucky enough not to miss it.

When there are that many lines to look through it can be really hard to find the one you need. (The 31 found in a 'delete' search in my own help file is bad enough.) Yes, it may be there but it also may not be and it's really hard to find something in a large list when you don't know for sure if it's there and don't realize that a different name was used. Looking for synonyms helps but it would be even better if the synonyms were added as keywords in the help file itself. That way an Index search could be used instead of a regular search that finds every instance of a word even though the function has nothing to do with the word you are searching on.

I'm not sure how a WIKI works so I'm not sure if this is applicable to them or not.

Comment

In total agreement Cal. I wish I did not have to spend the time to learn how to search the help/messageboard as well.....and of course you're right in that when you cannot narrow your search down to 50 or less, it does take an hour or so at least to skim the help/messageboard for the answer/function.....and hopefully did not miss it when doing so! I have at times spent several hours searching for an answer....and usually find it...but sure do wish it was easier!!

This last part is for sure something that needs to be addressed, not only in the help file but also in the messageboard searches (and it seems in the Wiki as well).
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X