Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Query Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Query Operations

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    Kay, I unzipped Mike's file and opened it in v10.5 and in v9 with no problems. Don't know what to make of the "tables with ? marks on each one."

Raymond Lyons
    I've done something wrong, because I can't get the database opened in a form I can use in A5V10. But, then, I'm not really good at manipulating files. When I unzip the file, do I use the Windows default program? All of my V10 files are on my C: drive, not in any folder (My V7 files are in a folder for V7 under Application data, as are my VERY old Alpha 4 files in another one. I've been using this software since it first became available, so I really don't remember much about how I set everything up in the first place. I've never dealt with
    ZIPPING files before. I've zipped them to send, but never received and unzipped any.

The table icons with question marks give me nothing when I right click on them to try to get a browse. There are no Operations, Forms, or Reports defined, so I'm not sure what I am supposed to do with them.

If you can tell me step-by-step how to do this, I'll start over with the zipped file and try again.
    Thanks, Raymond.
    Kay

Comment

Kay, firstly do you still have access to your V10 application. If so in the control panel on the tables tab change the view to detail This will show you the path to your application files.

When you say you have all your v10 files in C: drive does that mean the a5v10 program files as well or just your various applications. You should have A5 installed into a directory where you keep other programs. usually 'Program files' is the Windows default. I keep mine in a folder called MyPrograms. When you create an application with Alpha create a separate folder in say My Documents ie MyDogApp. Keep all files that relate to that app in that folder. Now if you need to move, backup, zip, or whatever, every thing is in one place. Also Alpha by default will look for related files such as tables and sets in the same folder as the .abd file (the main project file)

If you need to unzip a sample such as Mike's do it into a separate new folder so these files don't mixed in with any of yours.

I will stop here for now and see if you have any more questions. i am sure others will chime in as well.
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Kay, firstly do you still have access to your V10 application. If so in the control panel on the tables tab change the view to detail This will show you the path to your application files.

When you say you have all your v10 files in C: drive does that mean the a5v10 program files as well or just your various applications. You should have A5 installed into a directory where you keep other programs. usually 'Program files' is the Windows default. I keep mine in a folder called MyPrograms. When you create an application with Alpha create a separate folder in say My Documents ie MyDogApp. Keep all files that relate to that app in that folder. Now if you need to move, backup, zip, or whatever, every thing is in one place. Also Alpha by default will look for related files such as tables and sets in the same folder as the .abd file (the main project file)

If you need to unzip a sample such as Mike's do it into a separate new folder so these files don't mixed in with any of yours.

I will stop here for now and see if you have any more questions. i am sure others will chime in as well.
        Tim Kiebert is online now Reply With Quote

Tim, Yes, I have access to my Alpha5V10. The Program is indeed stored in C:\ProgramFiles\a5v10\alpha5.exe.

My version 7 stored my application files in a folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Application Data\a5v7\

When I installed a5V10 and started using it on my data files, the software stored them in C:\ without specifying or making any new folder. That's where I seem to also have part or all of Mike's files.

When I start Alpha5V10, I click on Mike's obd database. In the table tab the 3 tables, scores, irish, and trial, and 2 sets, obediencerally and obed2 all appear with blue ? on the icons. When I right click on any of them, as I would to do a browse, only two opetions are boldfaced ie active: delete and remove from
        database. Checking the other tabs there are no forms, operations, or reports.

Do I need to start over, or can I sort this out? When I unzipped Mike's file, I didn't see a place to make a folder for it or to designate a folder to put it in.

Kay

Kay

Comment

For those who have been assisting with this can you try the following.

Open the default browse for the set.
          Activate the query genie.
          Open a saved query and choose 'Parent_Child' and run it.
          ***The result should be 68 records. (in no particular order) And looks OK. One parent and the related child data.

Leave this browse open for comparison to the next step.

Go to the operations tab and double click (run) the Parent_Child query.

What I see is what Kay is seeing. All 68 records ( I know Kay said she sees 11,700+) as the first browse but each line has the details of the one (first) parent.
          Scroll down continuously and as the pointer gets to the bottom of the browse it returns to the top and then show the next parent info.
          All the while the child record data stays fixed in the correct position.
          The Child data in the second browse corresponds to the child data in the first browse.

There is also a test browse called aTest in which i placed an action script to run the saved query and this seems to run correctly.

Looks like a bug when a query is run from the operations tab

The test was done in v10 3674-3627 (the current one) and also in 3432-3608

Doing the same test using using the saved query Parent_only does not exhibit the same behaviour. During additional testing not shown in the sample app it seems adding a child field to the filter causes this behaviour.
          Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 11-26-2010, 10:47 PM.
          Tim Kiebert
          Eagle Creek Citrus
          A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Kay, I was hoping that Mike' files had not over written yours if you unzipped into the same location. As far as Mikes sample goes, I would start again. Not knowing what procedure you used it is hard to recommend some thing different. Maybe you could let us know what operating system yo are using. But generally I would make a new folder and save the zip file there. Then open it up and unzip it. Usually some part of the process will ask you where to put the extracted files (using the current folder as a starting point) but if that does not occur then at least they should be place in the same folder as the zip file. Until you get very comfortable unzipping files I would always download and store the zip file into its own folder thereby isolating it and preventing mixing the contents with rest of your files.
            Tim Kiebert
            Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

Thanks, Tim. I'll try starting over tomorrow. I've been at this long enough today that my brain has turned to mush. I'm sure it will be easier in the morning. I'll get back to you. My tables do not seem to be overwritten, and that's the most important thing...the rest isn't working anyway, so I can reconstruct forms, operations and reports later. I'll try to sort everything into it's own folder, but this is further complicated by my having the original Alpha 4 program and its data, my V7 program and data, and now the Version 10 data (mine and Mike's), and I'm confused about what is what. I think new names for everything might be in order.

I'm using Windows XP.
              Kay

Comment

Starting with fresh eyes sounds like a good plan. :)

One way to 'sort out' yours app files is to open your app as per normal. If you are satisfied that it is all there. Then while in the control panel go to 'Tools' Menu and choose 'Zip Database..." By default all the files will be checked. Just use all the default settings. In the top input control you can choose where to zip it and what to call it. go to that file and unzip it in its new location. Open up that 'new' app and check it out. If all is ok then you should be good to go. I would keep the old original files for a while in case you find some thing missing. You don't really need to change the naming of anything unless you want to . you can have multiple copies with the same name in different folders.
                Tim Kiebert
                Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post

One way to 'sort out' yours app files is to open your app as per normal. If you are satisfied that it is all there. Then while in the control panel go to 'Tools' Menu and choose 'Zip Database..." By default all the files will be checked. Just use all the default settings. In the top input control you can choose where to zip it and what to call it. go to that file and unzip it in its new location. Open up that 'new' app and check it out. If all is ok then you should be good to go. I would keep the old original files for a while in case you find some thing missing. You don't really need to change the naming of anything unless you want to . you can have multiple copies with the same name in different folders.
                  Another way to do it is to open the folder containing the files and sort them by date. Usually, the dares will match or at least be close, unless, you've made changes in A4 and v7. That said, Tim's suggestion is much better. Try mine if Tim's doesn't work.

kenn
                  TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post

One way to 'sort out' your app files is to open your app as per normal. If you are satisfied that it is all there. Then while in the control panel go to 'Tools' Menu and choose 'Zip Database..." By default all the files will be checked. Just use all the default settings. In the top input control you can choose where to zip it and what to call it. go to that file and unzip it in its new location. Open up that 'new' app and check it out. If all is ok then you should be good to go. I would keep the old original files for a while in case you find some thing missing. You don't really need to change the naming of anything unless you want to . you can have multiple copies with the same name in different folders.
                    OK, Tim, I'm on a roll. I have created a new file in Applications Data called Alpha5V10. I brought up my database in V10, and all is fine with the tables. I zipped that database, put the file in the Alpha5V10 folder, and extracted the files into a sub-folder called IRISH SETTER DATA. I went back to V10, and, yes, I can get to the application in the subfolder I renamed the database Irish Performance Data, because I have backups here and there with many different names, and which I'd eventually like to get rid of. Since the "new" database appeared to be fine, I went back and got Mike's zipped file, put it in another subfolder (named Mike's files) in the Alpha5V10 folder, and extracted the files into that same subfolder.

I feel like I've done a day's work. What next?
                    Kay

Comment

Ok,
                      Open my second posted example and look at the two forms each having the three browses for each table in the set. See if the form based on the set where the tables are linked one to many is what you are expecting.

I haven't looked at Tim's example but will now.

Later:
                      What I am seeing is that scrolling through the default browse showing the filtered table using the saved query scrolls appropriately. But, when scrolling throught the records in a default browse after running the parent_child operation causes the records/data to change-jump around as the cursor moves down the rows. What's up with this?? I'm right now using v9, but I will repeat in v10 when I get home.
                      Last edited by Mike Wilson; 11-27-2010, 12:55 PM.
                      Mike W

Comment

Mike,
                        I looked at your example, and yes, the browse is what I am expecting, but I've never gone the route you did to get to it (using forms). I define the query as an operation, run it on the set,and then use the resulting browse. Shouldn't this produce the same result?

In your example, go to the Operations Tab and run the query
                        "2010 all trials" (it actually filters "class" to include some of the classes I seem to periodically lose in my reports, the year 2010, and the first 40 pages of the October Awards Book)
                        Look at that browse. This is what's been driving me crazy.
                        I'm encouraged that Tim sees it, and it looks like, from your last post, you are finally seeing it,too. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind.

Perhaps I should give up on queries as operations and go the other route? I'll have to read the manual to figure that out, but I can do that. <smile>

Kay

Comment

Hi Karen

Have tried to open your quiery reports in the design operations and on the All records query and individual query I am having a Alphas report an error in the query (see attached PDF) althought they seem to run Ok this maybe why you are having trouble with the results. Try converting the queries to xbasic and see if the reporting is any better.

Comment

Only problem with this,Keith,is that I haven't a clue how to use xbasic.
                            Not that I couldn't learn, but, since I only use this one application of Alpha5, I haven't needed to.

Comment

Hi Kay
                              The thing with Apha5 you do not have to know a thing about xbasic. Alpha5 does it all for you.

All I done was to have the printouts shown in temp1.pdf was to:-

1. Right click on your operation all records.
                              2. Move the curser down to show Xbasic.
                              3. Left click this will open up the xbasic code that runs when you run your operation.
                              4. Press copy to clipboard making sure you are in the box with confirmation dialogs.
                              5. Left click the mouse on the code tab
                              6. Left click on New
                              7. Move the curser down to Script using xbasic editor and then Left click which will open up the xbasic code editor.
                              8. You will see 2 tabs 1. Untitled_1 and another tab with interactive on it.
                              9. Using the Untitled_1 tab in the white box press ctrl+v or use paste by right clicking and using the paste from the menu that comes up.

You then have the Alpha5 version of xbasic commands you have created in your operation.

Save the code by giving it a name of your choice and you have just written your first xbasic program.
                              Show the code to your friends and they think you are very clever.

It is that easy.

Try it and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Hi Kay/Tim/Mike,

I see what you all mean about getting funny reports when using your operations its Ok in the Browse but when run from operations or code it gives different results. Strange???? It just does not like the filters.

I have change Tim's filter slighly and used verify between 10-O01 and 10-O04 and trial date year 2010

The 2 methods do act different.

Comment

Working...
                                X