Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

multiple lookup values for 1 field...memo field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple lookup values for 1 field...memo field?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to provide the user with a checklist of options, which upon checking will copy that value into a field. My challenge is that I need to be able to send the values of more than 1 checkbox/choice into that field (not a typical look-up which only replaces the field with the look-up).

Seems that variables may come into play here, but any light shed on this topic will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: multiple lookup values for 1 field...memo field?

Hi John,
    Seems that variables may come into play here
    Yep, you got that one right.

Need more info about your app and how you want to use the values from the variable/s.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Look at the ui_get_list..() functions. Several of them allow you to collect multiple items in your lookup which get put into a crlf() string. You can then dump the string into your memo field.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

You might consider displaying an xdialog with a multi select list box.
        There can be only one.

Comment

thanks guys, yes I'm looking into displaying an X-dialog with multi select list box.

Basically I want to have different "actions" choices:

cleaned
          replaced components
          tested
          etc

So say the user checks off "cleaned" and replaced components.

I want my action field to display: cleaned, replaced components. Essentially I want the actions to be pre-set, not user typed. But it would also be nice to be able to have the option to type in a "custom action" in case there is an extraordinary case for which the action is not listed.

Comment

Sorry, is there a question there?
            There can be only one.

Comment

not really, just replying to Keith's post.

Aside from that, do I need to make my "action" field a memo field to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by hov333 View Post
                Aside from that, do I need to make my "action" field a memo field to do this?
                Nope.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

John,
                  do I need to make my "action" field a memo field
                  This would be contingent upon whether all the choices combined would exceed a character limit of 255, how you want to display or use the choices, or....? Most likely a memo field though I would think---you will have to add either a comma or crlf between each entry though when writing to whichever field type you want to use in order to distinguish the entries.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                    John,

This would be contingent upon whether all the choices combined would exceed a character limit of 255, how you want to display or use the choices, or....? Most likely a memo field though I would think---you will have to add either a comma or crlf between each entry though when writing to whichever field type you want to use in order to distinguish the entries.
                    I don't think I would exceed the 255 limit since my choices will be very short. But you do have a good point about the comma between each entry.

Would someone be able to upload an example they created using x-dialog choices. I'm curious as to how this would work.

Comment

Hi John,

Check out the choices of dialog boxes in Action Scripts.
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

The genie makes the definition of the xdialog about as simple as possible.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks folks,
                          I've been swamped with office tasks, haven't had a minute to look at the xdialog. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Comment

Is this something like you want? This is an xdialog example. Just cut and paste this code into the Interactive Window, highlight all and run.

Code:
                            'make the list for the multiselect
                            dim vLactions as C
                            vLactions=<<%a%
                            Cleaned
                            Replaced components
                            Tested
                            Rotated
                            Painted
                            Oil and Lube
                            %a%

'generate the xDialog ===================

' dialog structure variables
                            	dim dlg_title as C="Action"
                            	dim dlg_body as C

'dialog field variables
                            	dim vLpicks as C
                            	dim vwrite_in as C
                            	dim vall_acts as C

dlg_body = <<%dlg%
                            	{background=#155,175,165}{xmargin=2,2}
                            	{font=Arial,9,b}{frame=1,1:Multiple Choice Actions}{font=Arial,9,n}
                            	{region}
                            	[%m%.30,8vLpicks^#vLactions];
                            	{lf};
                            	{endregion};
                            	{font=Arial,9,b}{frame=1,1:Write in Extras}{font=Arial,9,n}
                            	{region}
                            	[.40vwrite_in]  ;
                            	{endregion};
                            	{lf};
                            	{line=1,0}
                            	{lf};
                            	<10OK> <10Cancel>
                            	{endregion};
                            	%dlg%

'build dialog
                            	dim vresult as C 
                            	vresult=ui_dlg_box(dlg_title,dlg_body)
                            		if vresult="cancel"
                            			end 
                            		end if

'combine the multiselect and the write in
                            	vall_acts=crlf_to_comma(vLpicks)+","+alltrim(vwrite_in)

'report the result
                            	ui_modeless_dlg_box("report",<<%dlg%
                            	{background=light yellow}{font=Arial,10,b}{nocaption}
                            	{lf};
                            	{Text=60,3vall_acts};
                            	{lf};
                            	%dlg%)
                            	sleep(3)
                            	ui_modeless_dlg_close("report")
                            Mike W

Comment

hey guys,
                              thanks for all the help so far. And mike, thanks for posting this.
                              I actually just finished created the xdialog window with check boxes. Here is the xbasic code:

'Create an XDialog dialog box to prompt for parameters.
                              DIM SHARED Actions as C
                              DIM SHARED varC_result as C
                              auto_list_Actions = table.external_record_content_get("repair actions","Repair_Action","","")

temp_count = w_count(auto_list_Actions,crlf())
                              DELETE a_Actions
                              DIM a_Actions[temp_count] as c
                              a_Actions.initialize(auto_list_Actions)
                              ok_button_label = "&OK"
                              cancel_button_label = "&Cancel"
                              varC_result = ui_dlg_box("Actions",<<%dlg%
                              {region}
                              {Region}
                              ;
                              {Endregion};
                              {Region}
                              Select repair actions:| [.100,10Actions^$$a_Actions];
                              {Endregion};
                              {Region}
                              ;
                              {Endregion};
                              {line=1,0};
                              <*15=ok_button_label!OK> <15=cancel_button_label!CANCEL>;
                              {endregion};
                              %dlg%)

Could someone help me by adding the code that Mike has which allows the user to add additional comments/action manually. Its at the bottom of Mike's dialog box, I would love to have that in addition to what I made.

One more questions: after creating the xdialog, how do I get my options to be transferred into my action field? Right now the dialog pops up when the user Arrives onto the action field in my form. Upon selecting and hitting OK I would like those selections to be copied to the action field.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X