Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Drivers License Swiping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers License Swiping

Has anyone found an easy way using a CC/License swiper for the License info to populate in the correct fields?

Should I possibly do this in a pop up window, save the data to a variable, and then populate on the main form?

Thanks

Re: Drivers License Swiping

If you are using a credit card magneticstrip swiper then then this should work the same as a barcode scanner. Use the onkey event on a form to trap the keys or ose the {onkey=} and {onchar=} to trap on an xdialog
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

Awesome! I'll try it out and let you know how it goes. Thanks :-)

Comment

Okay, I have created two buttons--one called "Import" where a xdialog box prompts to slide the license, and puts the data in a variable called "swipe", and automatically closes out the window.

Next to the "import" button, I have an "export" button, and my plan is that when you press it, it sets the value of each field in the form with the data that is in the variable.

Now, how for instance do I filter the data for each individual input field? I know how to make it auto-populate, I am perplexed, however, and how I take that string and make it filter out the other info.

The data looks like:

%TXFORT WORTH^VASILIEV$NIKOLAI$STANISLAVOVICH^8817 BOAT CLUB RD^?;63601543453075=134534481013?#" 761790000 C M511130BLOBLU ZN#+5N ?

I need the action to eliminate everything except NIKOLAI in the data.

I hope that makes sense, LOL.

Comment

Code:
          a=<<%txt%
          %TXFORT WORTH^VASILIEV$NIKOLAI$STANISLAVOVICH^8817 BOAT CLUB RD^?;63601543453075=134534481013?#" 761790000 C M511130BLOBLU ZN#+5N ?
          %txt%

?a
          = %TXFORT WORTH^VASILIEV$NIKOLAI$STANISLAVOVICH^8817 BOAT CLUB RD^?;63601543453075=134534481013?#" 761790000 C M511130BLOBLU ZN#+5N ?

?extract_string(a,"$","$")
          = "NIKOLAI"
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Nice and simple...I like it...

Comment

I think I understand that--my question about the code is, isn't that geared more to if that particular string is the definitive output of the swipe every time? Being that we will be swiping hundreds of these everyday, should there be some sort of 'wildcard' code that simply requests whatever is within the variable?

For instance, all of the data of the license that you showed, should I replace that text with the name of the variable that contains the string of data?

Secondly, I think it is safe to assume that I am appending that code into the "script" tab on the 'export' button I created?

Thanks again for your help, it is really teaching me a lot.

Comment

yes to both, kind of.
                Next to the "import" button, I have an "export" button, and my plan is that when you press it, it sets the value of each field in the form with the data that is in the variable.
                You said you have the license swipe in a variable named swipe. It is from that variable you are extracting the first name for entering onto the form field. So your code for the export would be:
                Code:
                topparent:[COLOR="Red"]first_name_field_on_your_form[/COLOR].value=extract_string(swipe,"$","$")
                You would do this for each value parsed from the swipe variable, keeping in mind that the delineators (for first name it is $ and $) will be different for each data element being extracted.
                "script" tab on the 'export' button
                I'm not certain what you mean with this but the code could be placed on the Export button OnPush event or in a script in the control panel script tab that is called by the Export button OnPush event. I never place coding on buttons, so I recommend the second option always.
                Last edited by Mike Wilson; 01-12-2011, 03:37 PM.
                Mike W

Comment

Awesome, it worked great for the "FIRST_NAME" and "LAST_NAME" fields, but not so well for the "MIDDLE_NAME" field.

My OnPush looks as follows:
                  topparent:FIRST_NAME.value=extract_string(swipe,"$","$")
                  topparent:MIDDLE_NAME.value=extract_string(swipe,"$","^")
                  topparent:LAST_NAME.value=extract_string(swipe,"^","$")

The result of the middle_name when using this code is: "NIKOLAI$STANISLAVOVICH"

I think I understand why it is doing it, I just don't know how to prevent it.

The variable saved on my example is:

I think it is exporting the term, "NIKOLAI$STANISLAVOVICH" because the $ in the code for the MIDDLE_NAME is the second instance of the $ being used, so the code looks for the first one (in front of the FIRST_NAME), and takes everything between it and the next ^ it runs into.

Is there a way to make it count or use the second instance of a $ or to say something to the affect, 'extract everything in between the FIRST_NAME RESULTS + $ until it reaches the ^? (I hope that makes sense)

I'm not super savy on this type of stuff, I'm still learning. I can't seem to find a very good site that explains the extract_string, and the different rules of what can be done with it.

Thanks again, I actually am learning a lot, and this group of guys in the forum is what keeps me continuing to use AlphaFive. :-)

Comment

Code:
                    topparent:MIDDLE_NAME.value=word(extract_string(swipe,"$","^"),1,"$") = NIKOLAI
                    topparent:MIDDLE_NAME.value=word(extract_string(swipe,"$","^"),2,"$") = STANISLAVOVICH
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD
                    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al gave you the solution. The reasoning is exactly what you deduced. That value that resulted form the extract function could then be evaluated wih a word() function, which Al provided you with. This exemplifies the sequential processing of values generated by sequential "nested" functions.
                      Mike W

Comment

Al's coding worked great (big thanks!)

Is there a good writeup somewhere on the web on the extract_string and compatible codes?

First, middle, and last names worked great, the address on the other hand, not so well (nor the DL # because there are no characters that "mark" the starting and ending point.

I would assume there are more code combinations and option that can be used to correct those problems and the others I will inevitably run into, and if I had some online literature to teach me some of it, it would be great.

You guys are busy, so I hate to keep asking so many questions on the same subject, LOL.

Comment

Other than the wiki?

extract_string()
                          There can be only one.

Comment

LOL, well, that's perfect... I had never seen that before. The Wiki will come in handy. Thanks!

Comment

Or even the old (no longer updated) online help which I still use almost exclusively for my desktop development....

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...T_STRING().htm
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X