Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Excel Import Error Message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel Import Error Message

When running the AlphaDAO Import Genie, I get the following error message:

Error 1015 - Defined record is too long
    while converting ResultSet to DBF table

Does the word 'record' refer to Excel or Alpha? What, exactly, does this mean? Alpha Help does not tell me what a 'defined record' is or how to correct it.

Alpha HELP is no help at all when it comes to solving error messages. What good is an error message if it doesn't at least refer the user to the location in Help where there is a description and example? Sorry Alpha, I love the product but this ?????. Alpha Five could and should be made better by completing the Help which already exists. New features are great but w/o adequate help, a LOT of wasted time and delays are becoming a 'trademark. UGH! :(
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Re: Excel Import Error Message

Defined record is too long
    This has been in the help files for a while, I imagine before there was ADO. Appears to be an error for the dbf. Trying to create a dbf record exceeding the 19600 byte max.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      This has been in the help files for a while, I imagine before there was ADO. Appears to be an error for the dbf. Trying to create a dbf record exceeding the 19600 byte max.
      Hi Stan, Where in the help files is this located? I found the list of error code numbers but it only says the defined record is too long. What is the definition of 'record' as it pertains to this problem AND to which program is it referring, Alpha or Excel? I have a very small Excel file, 5 columns and 87 rows. All cells are text cells with the biggest being no more than 50 characters. If Alpha can't import this small, simple, basic Excel file, well......

Surely, there must be some info somewhere explaining this in more detail. Hopefully, someone at Alpha can shed some light on this.

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Alpha Five Database Specifications

If Alpha can't import this small, simple, basic Excel file, well......
        Kenn,

People, including yourself, have imported Excel files for years. If Alpha is having trouble with the latest file you are importing, something is odd or unusual with the file, not Alpha.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
          Alpha Five Database Specifications

Kenn,

People, including yourself, have imported Excel files for years. If Alpha is having trouble with the latest file you are importing, something is odd or unusual with the file, not Alpha.
          Sorry Stan, very seldom have I imported Excel files. It's been a log, long time. Certainly, I am not the first to encounter this error message. The only 'beef' I have with Alpha is that many times, the help file doesn't go far enough. To say that the 'defined record is too long' and not explain what a defined record is so that one can go about fixing it is like waving a steak in front of a hungry dog and then not let him have any of it.

If Alpha is having trouble with the latest file you are importing, something is odd or unusual with the file,
          What is odd or unusual with the file that causes Alpha to flash the error message? If an Alpha programmer can program A5 to recognize an error and flash the error message on the screen, certainly the error message could contain some guidance in solving the problem, could it not?

It makes no difference how many times you or I have imported Excel files. It simply does not change the fact that the error message is inadequate and leaves both you and I 'hanging'; wondering what to do to solve the problem.

Since you've imported excel files for several years, What would you do to solve the problem? I'm not trying to be 'cute' here but I would like to know what is meant by 'defined record' so I can make a correction.

FWIW, I did look at the link you provided but that doesn't help. The import is supposed to create the table so there is nothing I can do to prepare a table Alpha is going to create. Additionally, you said "something is odd or unusual about the file". What file? I assume it's the Excel file. That's why the link you provided is of no help. If it's Alpha's file that you're referring to, then it is a problem with Alpha.

It is possible and probable, that the Excel file I'm trying to import, contains something that Alpha is not programed to handle. That doesn't mean it's a problem with Excel. It only means Alpha has encountered something for which it's not programed and for all "we" know, flashes the closest associated error message.
          Last edited by forskare; 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Kenn,

I'm no defender of the Alpha documentation, indeed I've spent hours commenting the wiki suggesting improved wording and examples. Ask Martin if you doubt.

It only means Alpha has encountered something for which it's not programed and for all "we" know, flashes the closest associated error message.
            Agree totally. How long should an Alpha (internal) programmer spend trying to imagine how many different things could go wrong with an import based on what might be found in an Excel file? How likely is that time to have been wasted, tomorrow, because of a windows update or a new permutation of Excel? Murphy's law tells us not to expect/seek perfection.

The import is supposed to create the table so there is nothing I can do to prepare a table Alpha is going to create.
            Sure there is. You can examine the column names in Excel and normalize them. You can save the file as csv and try importing that (Excel will perform some normalization of its own). Alpha doesn't offer multiple means of performing tasls just to be amusing.

Unless you're using excel 2007 try saving the spreadsheet as dbf. See what the result is compared to the original.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Sure there is. You can examine the column names in Excel and normalize them. You can save the file as csv and try importing that (Excel will perform some normalization of its own). Alpha doesn't offer multiple means of performing tasls just to be amusing.

Unless you're using excel 2007 try saving the spreadsheet as dbf. See what the result is compared to the original.
              Stan, I agree with your comments and since I am not an excel user, I now have something to work with and ponder.

Thank you.

Comment

Kenn,

You might also consider posting a copy of the Excel sheet here. It's possible there's a ready explanation for what you're seeing. For example, I've had trouble when Alpha tries to use Excel column labels as fieldnames, but the column labels are "illegal" as DBF fieldnames...

Comment

Just a thought.
                  Excel v3,4 had limited number of fields. Version 2007 and up had many more fields. Is it posible that you are trying to import more fields than ALPHA has capabilities due to the excel versions. Try saving just the data in your excel into another worksheet as excel 97 (?) and then try the import.

Bob Sullivan

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding but this is the first chance I've had to try the suggestions.

Tom, 5 of the field names are one word with one field name being two words with a space. Perhaps the space makes it illegal so I made it one word.

Bob, I'm working with Excel 2003 so unless it's a quirk, it shouldn't be a problem.

I think I' found a clue. When doing the import using the Spreadsheet->Excel option, after choosing the spreadsheet, the data appeared in the window. Until I saw that, I didn't realize the data was supposed to show.

Using the Alpha and AlphaDAO approaches, the data did not show and neither did the column titles show in the other window which allows for the formating of the fields/columns.

Also, I have figured out that if the data doesn't show in the window, the error messages occur and the import fails. So, the logical question is, why doesn't the data show? The file was saved as a 2003 Excel so it should work.

Does the data always show during your import operations?

Comment

Ken, I don't see where you indicate what V10 build you are using. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with your problem but at some point, I think in V10, the old import genie was replaced with a new version. As late as 3641_3625 (November 2010) there was a problem with the new genie when importing some text files (not sure about spreadsheets). Thankfully, Selwyn fixed the problem with text files in the next build. Again, I have no idea if this has anything to do with your problem. Also, do you still have V9 or V8 and if so, does using one of those result in the same problem?

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Kenn, if you will post a copy of the sheet and furnish a description of the steps you're following that lead to the error we can corroborate your findings, or possibly offer a specific explanation. So far we're shooting in the dark, while you try to describe the target for us.

Comment

Good Morning Ray and Tom,

I'm using A5v10.5 Build 4091 3658. I see Alpha just released another patch so I'll give that a try although the Release Notes do not say anything about importing Excel.

My data is very sensitive. I have a couple other things to try. If that doesn't work, I'll see what I can do to desensitize the data.

Edit: I tried to upload the file Test_1.xls. Alpha doesn't like this file and says it's invalid.
                          Last edited by forskare; 03-27-2011, 09:04 AM.

Comment

OK, try this. Open any db. At the Control Panel, click:

1. File->Import
                            2. Spreadsheet->Excel->Next
                            3. Click up arrow on the right of the text box, upper left part of the screen.
                            4. Navigate to any .xls file.
                            5. Select the file, press Open

Now, the data contained in the file should appear in the window below, should it not? Mine does not, even using a newly created .xls file with 2 records. I tried to attach an .xls file but when clicking the upload button, Alpha says it's an invalid file. So, does that mean Alpha is incapable of uploading any files other than it's own? I doubt it. If it's not the extension that's the problem, what makes the file invalid?

Comment

See post #12. Zip the sheet and attach the zip file.

Comment

Working...
                              X