Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Type and Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type and Show

Trying to show a hidden object as soon as I start typing in a field.

Can it be done?

Re: Type and Show

Originally posted by Axeman View Post
    Trying to show a hidden object as soon as I start typing in a field.

Can it be done?
    Have you looked at the Hide and Show Objects in Action Scripting? If you have a button to hide and a button to show, why do you want to mess with typing keystrokes? One click and "Shazam".
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

as soon as I start typing
      Harry,

If you want to make something happen, you have to find out if there is an event (in the current context) that fires. If there is you can create code to respond to that event.

Objects, namely type-in fields, have these events

onchange
      onarrive
      ondepart
      canarrive
      candepart
      onflyover
      onflyoverleave

None of those fills your stated requirements.

Forms have other events (complete/semicomplete event list here). The closest thing I can find to

as soon as I start typing
      is trapping the onkey event, checking what field is active, and performing some activity if the object name of the active object is what you intend.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you both for your time and reply's,

I have been using the onchange event in the field to show "button1" but I was looking for an easy way to show the button as soon as I started typing not after the field looses focus.

I'll stick to onchange for a while.

Help much appreciated

Harry

Comment

Try onarrive event. That will do it.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Hoens View Post
            Try onarrive event. That will do it....
            No, it won't. At least not if I understand what Axeman really wants.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

only xdialog events I believe has what he is describing he wants.
              Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Axeman View Post
                but I was looking for an easy way to show the button as soon as I started typing not after the field looses focus.
                Harry
                We're all giving advice about something we know little about. By that I mean, no one knows for sure what he means by: "as soon as I started typing"? Typing what, where, when? Until we know what he means, our advice could lead him down the wrong road.
                Last edited by forskare; 03-31-2011, 10:41 PM.
                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

onkey - check what field you are in.
                  Al Buchholz
                  Bookwood Systems, LTD
                  Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                  Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                  Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                  When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                  "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                  Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by forskare
                    Typing what, where, when?
                    Hope the example explains a little more.

Harry

Comment

Harry,
                      Why don't you just place a code on the form CanSave event, or directly on the Save button that checks for the value of the name field and if it is blank, don't save the record (end) or give a message. Seems more achievable.
                      Mike W

Comment

Thanks Mike,
                        Playing around with the form when I can get to it. Will post back with an update soon.

Harry

Comment

Harry,
                          Mike's suggestion is a good one. especially if the form is going to be more complex with more fields to test.

I did modify your form a bit though and came up the functionality you wanted.
                          The code in various places to hide and show the buttons is commented out. Instead the dynamic property feature is used to conditionally show the buttons. The form accounts does this.

I am not a big fan of buttons appearing and disappearing. I find it distracting and would rather see the options from the start. So, in form accountxx all the buttons show but are conditionally enabled or disabled. The font color of the text and the flyover code has also been made conditional to indicate the status of the button.

If you have not discovered dynamic properties read about it here

Forgot to mention the properties.
                          In the accounts form: the 'visible' for the buttons
                          In the accountsxx form: the enabled and font color properties of the buttons. And the flyover event code for the buttons.

The main test used is the mode of the form.
                          Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 04-02-2011, 03:14 AM. Reason: more info
                          Tim Kiebert
                          Eagle Creek Citrus
                          A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

:)
                            Just went to upload and update what I had done sugested by Mike and Tim has beat me to it with another suggestion. :)

Mike First:
                            Put some code here and there mike and came up with something different.

Only thig what got me was:

Edit a name, Select cancel from the "Save record" message and it would not cancel unless I added cancel and topparent cancel.

Code:
                            cancel()
                            'Cancel changes to record in current form.
                            topparent.cancel()
                            Getting there though

Thanks again for the help much appreciated.

TIM:
                            Thank you for your time and help.
                            I just downloaded the file and WOW! it looks good.
                            I'll have to get more into the dynamic side of things "and the "Type and Show" button GREAT!. I'll studdy the form more when I get back from work later.

I'm not been fussy Tim please dont get me wrong. By adding a new record then clicking tab or enter on a blank field commits the record. It gives me a hell of a lot more to play with now though.

I much appreciate the help.

Harry

Comment

Got it sorted,
                              Now with a browse and delete button and a couple of message boxes to help with the tab and enter buttons.

Just wondering how about the delete button I added.
                              How do I stop the flyover when button is commented out?

This is how I wanted my forms to work. Totally pleased with the result.

Thanks again all.

Harry

Comment

Working...
                              X