Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

QBE Queries Like in Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QBE Queries Like in Access

Hi,

I am trying to get started with V10 of A5 and having a hard time getting my brain out of Access mode (well it has been 15 years so it is not surprising!)

In A5 I see Tables, Reports, Forms... but where are Queries?
    A lot of what I do in Access is build up my business logic by layering queries over queries and then finally a report over the last query.
    Or say in Importing data I import it , Clean it and that can take ... in one case 12 queries so from Dode I am doing a lot of this...
    DoCmd.OpenQuery "qryImportCustData1"
    DoCmd.OpenQuery "qryImportCustData2FixZipCode"
    etc
    etc

In most cases this is because the logic is too much to have in one query, some time it is because I have built it in baby steps so the process is clear and adaptable.

So my question is how do I do this in Alpha Five???

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Re: QBE Queries Like in Access

Bruce, I'm no Access guy but others coming here from Access have struggled with differences concerning "queries". Apparently the term means something different here.

In Alpha Five each field object you drop into your layout is automatically bound to the underlying data table. when you run an Alpha query you are filtering records in the table or tables supporting your layout (form).

Suggest you open Alpha Five Help, and spend some time reviewing the Alpha Five User Guide. There's a good section on "ordering and selecting records" in the chapter called "Alpha Five Basics". You'll find this in the list on the "Contents" tab of the Helps.

Alpha offers many different ways to "query" your data.

-- tom

ps Welcome to the message board!

Comment

not an expert in access nor in alpha five but..
      I think the way query works in access is to join few tables and select the fields into a new "item" called query and base the forms reports etc., on that item. much like a joins in sql. the "item" is not really there but there when you need it.
      The way one will do something like that in alpha will be to create a "set" combining two or more tables into an "item" called set and then base your forms, reports etc. on that entity.

hope this is correct.

gandhi
      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
      mysql backend
      http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
      [email protected]
      1 914 924 5171

Comment

Hi Bruce,
        I'm no expert in either Alpha or Access, but I think I've done the kinds of queries you're talking about for one or two Access apps I've made.
        The way I'd do it in Alpha is to use the various operations on the 'Operations' tab (Copy records, Crosstab, Delete records, Summarise records etc). Most can have filters applied at runtime (via user input or in the query itself).
        I create all my actions first (eg, use Delete records to empty a transaction table, then one of the other operations to add data to it, then run a report against the transaction table.
        I've used the Update operation to 'fix' records imported from other datasources, after using the Import operation to import the data from .csv etc.
        I've then typically fired the sequence of the various operations off from a button placed on a form or menu choice,
        For example, drop a button on a form, then use the 'Action Scripting' option to add all the operations, reports etc. (Action scripting -> Add new action -> Operations -> Run saved operation, then just choose the operation you've already created. Then add another action to the action script for the next operation.

It might not be the most elegant way, but it works for me.

Hope it helps,

Rich
        Last edited by Rich Merritt; 04-11-2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Ah Ha! Another 'Access soul" has come home. This is what I did. Although it was a struggle, I gad to wipe Access from my thinking. Allowing it to remain cause numerous headaches. To do that, I researched what I wanted to to by searching Alpha's Help, searching the message board and asking questions. In no time at all, Access was a figment of my imagination.

There are numerous ways to create Queries in A5. The best way to get to them is to click the 'Query' menu item while viewing a table, a form or a browse. You will be pleasantly surprised.
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Working...
          X