Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Something Strange Happening on Form Properties Filter Expression Tab:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something Strange Happening on Form Properties Filter Expression Tab:

PLEASE HELP: a5 is placing data in this field..... (not me)

What would cause the Filter expression" field (in the Filter / Order tab of a FORM) to have a filter appear when launching a form from the control panel? I never placed a filter in this field. "It just kind of showed up there".......

Here's what happened:

During development, the application worked fine (while switching between edit and run.)

But when I closed the form, and relaunch it from the control panel, an error appeared. Upon close investigation I noticed that a filter had been placed in the Filter Expression field.... If I then delete the filter and then save the form, it launched and ran properly. Likewise, if I toggled between run and edit, it also behaved properly.

The following was an excerpt I sent to Alpha, detailing the bug when it occurred:

..... a very strange "bug" and I spent hours trying to figure it out..... I had forms with custom queries that produced different results depending upon how the form was "started." (I still have the data / backups) Shortly thereafter I also noticed that "running" these forms from the control panel was producing starting errors. (Errors that were not there during design / development, when switching between Form View and Design Mode from the a5 toolbar....

Starting the form from the toolbar using "Form View" during development, everything worked fine. (no errors either.) (And, I could toggle back and forth between edit and view without incident.) BUT... After saving & closing the form (and returning to the control panel, problems would appear.) Upon launching the same form from the control panel, a5 kept issuing errors when the form was run. I eventually found what the error was related to, (and how to work around it) but regardless of the workaround, The query results were still different depending upon how the form was started. (even though I was able to fix the error on starting from the control panel.) ~ This was bad for developing, because when you switch between design and form view modes during development you have no idea there is a problem.

What causes the Filter Expression field on the forms properties Filter/Order tab to become populated with a filter? And why would this have caused errors only when the form was run from the control panel? (not when toggling between edit and run modes during development)
    "I honestly thought I read somewhere that a condition exists that causes a5 to populate this field with a filter....... (But I can no longer find the reference / info on this.)"

PLEASE ADVISE!
    Last edited by SNusa; 05-07-2011, 03:00 AM.
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Re: Something Strange Happening on Form Properties Filter Expression Tab:

Check the release notes for build (4254-3682). Sounds like you may have used the form.viewqueried() method to open the form and then made some design changes causing the temporary query to be permanently saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
      Check the release notes for build (4254-3682). Sounds like you may have used the form.viewqueried() method to open the form and then made some design changes causing the temporary query to be permanently saved.
      Hi Tom - Your name is familiar. You're the person who wrote some articles the instructors referred to back in February, right? (I spent the past two weeks viewing webinars and taking notes - about 60 hours worth! (~30 hours x 2 views each)

If I did, it was primarily via action scripting. (That was before I "learned" Xbasic.) This issue happened back in February. I'm just trying to find out in what instances a5 would populate this field. As i recall, I had to edit/delete the field after every time I "ran" the form.

(I'm assuming a5 might (in some instances) actually use the field internally to store filters, when a filter /query is applied to data from form events / scripts?) ~ "Just trying to understand what those instances may be!" ;-)

I found this additional info on how I got rid of the issue, but I still don't understand the "dynamics behind it all..."
      I had some variables related to searching action scripts that I had defined (Dim'd) in the OnInit Form event. (A5 apparently wants to see these in the "Define New Variables" window.) ~On a side note, when I defined session variables in the set and not the form, this worked too. But I noticed forms & databases operate slower when variables are declared in the set. ~ Still, even fixing this did not return consistent results between "starting" the forms two different ways.

A5 placed form properties on the "Filter / Order" tab (Filter Expressions & Order Expressions) had to be manually deleted before each run of the form.

The second thing that needed to be done to get rid of the errors was related to location and method of declaring shared variables. (Removed the errors, but not the strange search result inconsistencies related to how the forms were launched.)

Alpha Five Version (Registered): 10.5 Compiler: Microsoft C Compiler version 1200
      Build: 3739
      Addins: 3629
      Bug reported FEB.16, 2011
      Last edited by SNusa; 05-07-2011, 03:44 AM.
      It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
      RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

If you examine the code action scripting writes for you, you'll see that when you use the "action" to open a second form to the currently selected record in a first form, the script contains the form.viewqueried() method I mentioned. Have you had a chance to check the release notes yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
          If you examine the code action scripting writes for you, you'll see that when you use the "action" to open a second form to the currently selected record in a first form, the script contains the form.viewqueried() method I mentioned. Have you had a chance to check the release notes yet?
          This problem was never related to opening a second from. I was experiencing this problem on a single form, that did not open any other forms......
          Toggle between view and design, no problems. save / close form (and then double click on it from control panel) was how the problem surprisingly appeared... Under what circumstances could a5 use this field to store a filter, without it being explicitly set (field filled in) by user?

PS: Found the build releases @ http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...nate/index.htm
          Last edited by SNusa; 05-08-2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Tom, "stupid question" but how do you check release notes? (I always update to the most recent version, and don't know how to get back to the earlier ones.) ~From now on, I suspect I should download new versions, and immediately append the downloaded filename with the release version #.... ( ie: performing "versioning" on "versioning." )
            "View Release Notes" is on the Help menu in Alpha Five.

Comment

I am hoping that this issue can be a reproducible one as I have had the same and similar instances of this myself happen over the years without any consistent method of being able to show anyone.....from a form filter being placed into a blank one to an existing one being changed once set and working. This has happened since version 5. A rarity actually and seems so far to be just limited to when developing/making changes to form code.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                I am hoping that this issue can be a reproducible one as I have had the same and similar instances of this myself happen over the years without any consistent method of being able to show anyone.....from a form filter being placed into a blank one to an existing one being changed once set and working. This has happened since version 5. A rarity actually and seems so far to be just limited to when developing/making changes to form code.
                As I recall, the problem may have had something to do with this:

I declared several shared variables in the xbasic form oninit event.
                They were not defined via the "V" in the a5 toolbar. As best I can remember, these variables were somehow used in a filter via xdialog & action scripting. (I pre-declared & initialized the variables in xbasic, and then assigned them in an xdialog box which changed them for filtering data on a forms embedded browse.) Everything worked fine in terms of filtering the records..... (when switching between form view/edit) But when I closed the form, and relaunched it from the control panel I kept getting errors on form load.

When this happened I could keep clicking on the continue error, and the form would eventually load. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the forms property filter field was repeatedly left populated with a filter when the form was closed. If I deleted the filter before saving the form, the form would "load" properly the next time only. But I had to delete it each time. (Go into edit mode, delete the filter & save the form, before closing and re-running it. (There were no other edits to the form.)

I'm not sure what actually resolved the issue, but one of the things I did was to declare the variables using the "V" on the a5 toolbar. (I think I actually assigned the variables via the "V" at the set level.) I began wondering whether the form oninit shared variable declarations had somehow conflicted with the xdialog box variable usage. I was essentially re-declaring (and re-setting) the same variables (same scope) via an xdialog box that were initially declared in the forms oninit event. (I never removed the oninit declarations, but the errors disappeared.) ~ I think the workaround may have had something to do with adding the variable declarations at the set level..... Not sure though...

The whole thing really surprised me, because I have no idea of when the problem actually began. (Because flipping between view and edit during the design stage never revealed the problem existed in the first place.)

Comment

Working...
                X