Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Basic Info Needed for Creating a Setup File with Alpha Runtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Info Needed for Creating a Setup File with Alpha Runtime

Hello this is my first time posting on the forum and I am wondering if someone can help me please.

My name is Joe and I am from Melbourne, Australia. I am also a first time user of Alpha 5 making the purchase this week

I just have some questions please.

1. What can I do with the Alpha Runtime software that I can't do with the developer software?

2. If I create a setup file using a third party installer which files and folders do I need to install on a new users PC for the database to run?

3. I am presuming the Alpha Runtime files I need are those found in the folder - A5V10Runtime and all these need to be installed as the same application folder. Can someone clarify this for me please?

4. If I sell my database application to a customer and they already have a database system using Alpha 5 made by someone else will there be a clash of runtimes?

Would appreciate it if you can assist me please.

Thank You

Re: Basic Info Needed for Creating a Setup File with Alpha Runtime

Hi Wolf,

Welcome to the world of Alpha.

First I suggest you read the documentation that came with the Runtime, you will find most of the aswers to your questions there.

Item 1. In simple terms, the end user cant edit any part of the application with Runtime.

Item 2. You dont need third party software to install a Runtime application. Others here will make suggestions as to what third party software they prefer.

Item 3. When you create an Installer from Alpha, all the required files are collected for you. It might be necessary to add in images if they are part of the application.

Item 4. This all depends how you instruct your application to be loaded. The Runtime is the engine, so it should not hurt if a second copy is installed. Your application will be in a separate folder. Providing that it is not the same name as the folder already on your customers machine there would not be an issue. The chances of your customers already having an Alpha app already loaded are pretty remote, but it can happen.

Hope this helps, but do read the documentation as there are some other good ideas there too.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I have read the documentation already but it has left me with some questions.

If I do use the Alpha installer will the installer setup the Alpha 5 Runtime files on the customers computer only or will these be setup where the runtime file is viewable in its own folder under the start menu under the program folders along with a separate folder for the program?

I am asking this because I want to make an application with a clean install where it creates only one folder under the start menu where it shows the application file I have made only.

Any other input would be appreciated.

Comment

Hi Wolf,

Have some practice runs first. Nobody gets it right first time. That way you can get it to do what you want.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Hi Wolf,
          With A5 applications it is good practice to design the system so that the application is in a separate folder to the runtime files and that this application folder is NOT installed in the programmes folder. In other words you should end up with

C:\Program Files\A5V10 Runtime
          C:\"Application"

Of course once the runtime is installed on your clients machine you can deploy any number of applications each in its own folder.

To summarise the differences between the developer version and the runtime version :-

Developer : You can design and amend and indeed run your application but only on the machine it is installed on.
          Runtime : You can distribute and install the runtime on an unlimited number of client machines but it cannot be used to design or amend applications.

Hope this helps - I know from experience that when that "lightbulb" moment occurs you will be glad you went down the Alpha route.

Bob
          Bob Whitaker

Comment

What I should have added is that when the runtime is installed is it should tell the registry to associate files with an .adb extension with the runtime exe and as such your desktop / start menu only needs an entry pointing to your applications adb file.
            Bob
            Bob Whitaker

Comment

The runtime install app will do a number of things in one package,

1. Install runtime
              2. Install datafiles
              3. Register all components (There are about 5 crtical ones, if you use a third party installer)
              4. Install the pdf drivers
              5. Create a shortcut with a splash screen etc
              6. Install any additional files like images and banners etc. Plus you can put a license key in the runtime directory that will remove user the need to enter anything at statup

The install maker is designed for you to package and pass on to a user for their install. the runtime install does registration and pdf as well

Recommend you do a forum search as there is alot of posts on theis topic
              -----------------------------------------------
              Regards
              Mark Pearson
              [email protected]
              Youtube channel
              Website

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies.

Its appreciated.

Bob I know what you mean. I have been searching for an application where I can design and create a database and add impressive reports under the 1 hood.

Until know I have been holding back. Previously I had used Access and Visual Studio .net with Crystal Reporting to do such a task but was looking for the 1 solution where I can
                do it all without too much drama.

I have been keeping an eye on Alpha 5 for a couple of years to see its improvements and I think v10.5 is on par with what I need.

Once I understand Alpha 5 and I can combine the knowledge and experience of VB things should get easy.

The best way in learning for myself is trial and error.

Will do a new XP install and have a play in creating a setup file and see where I do go right or wrong I suppose.

If anyone else is reading and you have the answer for the question below could you please post an answer.

Question. If I do use the Alpha Developer installer will the installer setup the Alpha 5 Runtime files on the customers computer only or will these be setup where the runtime file is viewable in its own folder under the start menu under the program folders along with a separate folder for the program?

In short after the installation is done I want to know if the customer knows if the Alpha Runtime file has been installed by seeing it in the start menu in the program folder or if its installed only in the folder C:\Program Files\A5V10 Runtime.

Thanks for your help guys.

Regards

Joe

Comment

Hi Joe,

Just to confirm, Mark and Bob have given you the best answer.
                  will these be setup where the runtime file is viewable in its own folder under the start menu under the program folders along with a separate folder for the program?
                  Yes!!!
                  Regards
                  Keith Hubert
                  Alpha Guild Member
                  London.
                  KHDB Management Systems
                  Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Thanks Keith.

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
                    Hi Joe,

Just to confirm, Mark and Bob have given you the best answer. Yes!!!
                    Is there a way of not adding a folder with the Alpha Runtime program in the start menu under along with the other installed programs so it runs silently in the background once the application runs?

Comment

Hi Joe,

Not quite sure what your concern is. Your application will not run on your customers machine without the Runtime being installed too.

There is something bothering you about where the Runtime is installed, maybe we can help, if you were to elucidate your fears.
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

What my concern is having the Alpha runtime being visible when you click on the start button (on XP for example) browse to all programs and you see the folder Alpha Five V10 Runtime folder.

I agree it needs to be installed in the users PC but logic tells me the customer does not need to see this installation by seeing the new folder added as per above.'

When i install a program I want the customer only to see the application folder when they click on start, browse all programs etc.

Thanks Again Keith.

Joe

Comment

Joe,

You can choose to place the runtime in its own install folder or you can put it in the same folder as the files (application folder)you distribute. I choose to put it in its native folder apart form the data files because:

1. easier to manage updates
                          2. Allows you open up multiple db you create for your customer
                          3. better for trouble shooting when there are multiple Dbs
                          4. Essential if you wish to network the DB

Installing with the DB files (application folder) does hide the fact that runtime is installed but can create a headache for the points above.

If a user can see it from the start menu they still cannot do anything to development or modify the files. They would be able to purchase use DB from someone else. I don't see that as a big issue as the someone else was likely to have the runtime as well.

Another thing to learn about is the startup.control file. This controls the number of open users you would like see your DB at any one time.

This topic gets talked about so much on this forum, I am surprised Alpha have not made one of their great help movies
                          -----------------------------------------------
                          Regards
                          Mark Pearson
                          [email protected]
                          Youtube channel
                          Website

Comment

Always installed runtime with the application files in a single folder. Now I install runtime in c:\foldername and app files in a folder underneath that. as in c:\foldername\racecar. It is still pretty simple that way.

You DO NOT have to run the runtime install on a system. Put your files where you want them. You will have to run the regitration bat files. AND go. I also insert the right registry settings. OOPS-I also make my own exe to run the renamed alpha.exe and use astrum installer. This can be done with the runtime installer with a little extra work.

Run a search and you should see MANY threads on this as Mark said.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I am overwhelmed with the replies.

Thank you for your help.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X