Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

SQL Move Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL Move Database

I have a dumb question.

If I developed an app using sql(any of them) and sold the application to 100 clients, how would I make that database useable on a single computer or and computer system? I am believing they would have to have a sql installed on their system.

I have only done a couple sql apps and it was for a company and using their machines where I connected into the system with my own computer at their site. It worked ok, but if I wanted to make a saleable desktop app using sql???

Please straighten me out?
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Re: SQL Move Database

Not too sure about this one Dave. Only done it locally so far.
    Are you planning an app which 100 users can access and use, or 100 apps hosted locally?
    e.g. 1 app or 100 apps.
    There was a post about using an app under RDS a while ago with an offer of a demo. I think that was using SQL backend.
    I think it was in a post I started "Are we missing out on V11". If I find it I'll add it in here.

Found it.
    Fred C's comment.

"I don't believe desktop is dead. I am running all my desktop apps and my customers' apps using MS RDS. No code changes required and we are offering these at $89.95 per month for 5 users from ZebraHost and this includes backup. In most cases, the apps run faster than desktop. RDS is far superior to Terminal Services and cheaper than Citrix.
    We even have Cal Locklins licensing scheme running on RDS, thanks Cal.
    Contact me if you want info or a demonstration. We have two qualified ISPs up and running now. "
    Last edited by Ted Giles; 08-30-2011, 05:26 AM.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

The problem is the license of SQL Databases. You can't embed them to your software and then sell them as a part of your software.

In fact for desktop use (and not so heavy traffic web sites) there is a perfect SQL database for this purpose but unfortunately (as far as I know) Alpha don't support it for some reason or other.

So normally you handle this kind of problem during install process: Your software asks details for customers SQL Server : address, username, password and database name->then your software installs to this database all needed objects. Now your software can use the database normally and no license agreements has been violated.

Comment

Thanks Ken,

This is along with my thoughts. For a large app that I set up at a clients place, I have no problem. If I want to develope an app that I will sell a 1000 copies of that may be single user or multiuser, I am on dbf.

Selling a 100.00 app to 100 people negates going to their business or house and manually installing it.

I could see no easy way around this.

It would be so nice if Alpha had it's own sql for such developement.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave - MySQL is free. It's not that hard to make complete copies of any SQL database and install it as a copy.

Installing MySQL is fairly easy, and you could just do it or help do it with a remote access which I presume you'd want anyway for support, or pre-install it on the laptop they buy from you as part of the package.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Dave,

Companies buy SQL databases back ends all of the time. What you use will depend upon their needs. You could manage the whole project on a hosted machine. Sell them a machine pre-configured. Instruct their IT manager that you will need a _____ fill in the blank database engine. They may already be running MySQL or MSSQL. You will then let them know you need a web server. They will will then direct you to it. It all depends again on the needs of the customer.

Most databases can do a schema dump. You can then edit this dump to create a slick initial instal for your customers.

Michael Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
              It would be so nice if Alpha had it's own sql for such developement.
              I put this in my coments when the survey went out about 6 months ago.
              Request was for an SQL facility so that Db's could be built along the same lines as the standard Alpha Db's.

Comment

Better think twice about packaging MySql with your Alpha App. Oracle now owns Mysql. This is what I found on the web site a few months ago. Please do not take my word on this but check it out carefully before jumping in. Because of this I have switched to MS SQL as they offer a stripped down free version.

OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers), ISVs (Independent Software Vendors), VARs (Value Added Resellers) and other distributors that combine and distribute commercially licensed software with MySQL software and do not wish to distribute the source code for the commercially licensed software under version 2 of the GNU General Public License (the "GPL") must enter into a commercial license agreement with Oracle.

Mysql sql standard version $2000 per year

Mysql Enterprise version $5000 per year

Mysql Enterprise cluster version $10,000 per year
                Jeff Ryder

Comment

Thanks to ALL!
                  although MS and Oracle have free versions and I am aware that I can install it one way or another, the value on a 100.00 application becomes a negative. It leaves the alternative of dbf or access db. I prefer the dbf over the latter. This is not to mention any legal problems(not really an issue - I think) that could arise from sending some sql all over the world.

Explain: I am currently selling a program for $100.00. It works well, installs well, and people are happy. It has no problems other than installation time. Think: Install .net, the app, the runtime. It becomes slow. If I also have to install msql on top of all this, it takes considerably longer and 99% of these clients do NOT have or need sql. Access dbs have their own problems. I do not need that. I do NOT sit at a computer all day and night to work out what the customer needs for what should be a simple install. I have to register every app by phone now. I do that by preference so I get to know who is buying it and why(old sales thing).

It was just a thought on my part that I may have missed something. Larger applications may call for other actions though.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,
                    Are you doing this over the Internet or via a CD?
                    I don't have V10 Runtime, but I do use V9 R/t and dbf.
                    The build (Alpha Installer) includes R/t and app, and is pretty quick to install via CD.
                    If you put a "bundle" on the Net with a CD option, then the download shouldn't be so much of a problem.
                    Does V10 R/t create a "bundle" which includes .net or does that have to be handled separately?

Comment

In version 10+ you need .net to run alpha. I use astrum to install the runtime, application and .net. .net is included in the runtime as a direction file, but you have to have internet capabilities. I got the real file from MS and ship that instead. Some of my users are not connected to the internet especially at a race track in the boondocks and if it does not install and run, they are done with it.

Astrum setup simply copies the runtime(complete) into a folder(on the c:\drive), copies the app in a folder underneath, installs .net, runs the appropriate bat file to register stuff, inserts settings into the registry, makes a shortcut on the desktop, puts a shortcut and folder in the start menu, prompts the client to restart the computer.

This is run off of a CD with a startup file "autorun.inf" or copied down from a website and installed from the exe. You can check it yourself at www.racerssetup.com and go to download. *WARNING* It may reset some of your alpha settings in the registrty!]* It is about 107 megabytes. Call me and I will give you the key to start it.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave,

Why not sell your application as a SaaS?

Make it web based with a SQL backend. Use web security and a multi-tenant architecture so that everyone shares the same database but can only see their own data.

This saves your the trouble of having to install it on everyones machines...plus everything going to the cloud these days anyway

Cheers,

Scott

Comment

Why not sell your application as a SaaS
                          This app is used mostly on laptops at race tracks. Most of them will not have internet access at the tracks. It would be useless to a client at a track if he needs a quick answer and that is usually the case.

If it were used in a shop/home/business environment, inet would work fine most times. Well, then there is the cost of a place to put it and probably a monthly charge. That cost would clip about 75% of my small clients out of my app.

The app installs fine as it is. In fact, it is VERY slick. I was asking the question to see where I might want to go in the future. As it stands, it is dbf or access tables.

Of course, I could switch to someting else like we used to do and encrypt a text file. That would be a bunch of work and cause me to use something other than aplha. I do not wish that.

I really do appreciate all comments and thoughts.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave,

Sounds like an interesting application...does it help track horse information for breeders/owners or is it more on the gambling side?

You could also think about making your application mobile...ie SaaS based but viewable on a smart phone...you might lose some of your market but there is a lot of people with smart phones/tablets these days and only growing.

Just a thought

Cheers,

Scott

Comment

It is for race cars. It helps the drivers mechanics set their car up and make changes at a race track. Have you ever been to a small track in a place like Inverness, FL?? That is one of the larger ones in some circles. There is no internet unless the user has an account with verizon at 65.00 a month. Most carriers do not cover that area.

It is just one example. There are many smaller ones too.

Most of these users don't have smart phones and again coverage is where?? In Inverness, FL??? Again, I am not picking on the one place. I just happen to be real familiar with it and many more in FL, GA, SC, NC, AL, etc.

How about losing NONE of my market and Not put it on the web. Makes better business sense.

Like I said above, this one works fine as it is and is selling because these people can put it on their machine and take it with them. If they don't have theirs, they can look at their buddy's app and get quick ideas.

So you know, I have won over 200 short races on both dirt and asphault(mostly). I also set a national record in 1972 in a dragster. I wrote an app along with what I know how to do and to fill what I needed when I was racing.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X