Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Set design with 2 tables,and 2 forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set design with 2 tables,and 2 forms

The parent table and child tables are linked by date,amount and first name. There is a single record for each record in the parent. The child has some records that corresponds to which are duplicates. The duplicates have the same linking fields, IE amount, which may be "0" and or a non "0", this is due to the specific record being issued 2 or 3 times and the content of a field has changed.

In a one to one link, only the first record is displayed with the parent. In a one to many link only the first child is displayed with the parent. I need t have the parent displayed and each child that is linked to the parent displayed. The child table is predominantly single records linked to the parent, so this linking and display requirement is not frequent. I have tried to use the embedded browse, but that shows 2 instances for all child records linked to the parent as vs. only one and multiple when there are more then one child record.

How can one parent form when incremented by record, remain on screen and the 2nd child be incremented to the screen ?

Re: Set design with 2 tables,and 2 forms

I would question your linking first. Maybe I am "Old School", but I always use one field as a linking field. It is always incremented in the main table to keep all the other regular links straight. example: id, n,10,0 and each of the child tables has the same field. This makes for a bullet proof link.

After the set is made, you can put your parent records on a form and (how shall I say this) = Imbed a form and possibly a browse of the child records on the same form. Maybe use tabs??

I am trying to make this simple as possible for you. There are many other scenarios possible.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

LCG.
      Post a copy of the Set and where you have got to.
      I'm not clear on what you are really after.
      As Dave mentioned, linking on more than one field will restrict what shows, as ALL the fields have to correspond exactly.

Date, Amount and First Name will all have to match.

First Name only will show all dates and amounts for that name
      Date will show First Name and Amounts for the selected Date

Try the attached for examples. Could be way out, but it's raining here and I can't get out so I had a fiddle.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ted Giles; 09-06-2011, 07:21 AM.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ted,

The reason I have three fields in my set link is due to the fact the parent table contains many records with the same date and name of client but different amounts charged. There are also records for other clients with the same date and often the same charged amounts. I am working with medical claims data. The parent records are specific for a charge and represent the primary insurance carrier. The child records are the secondary insurer and often there are two or more child records for the same single parent record.

The parent is single and the child can be single or mixed where mixed is 2 for 1 parent. So the one to one set relationship will only show the first child that matches the parent and not the second. The reason for 2 children is the secondary may process to records breaking the cost by medical code where as the primary processes one record for the whole.

I use cdate to definitively know the dates match, amount charged and first name. To date first names have not been repeated so that is not an issue at this time. I hope this gives a better perspective of the issue.

Thanks

Lou

Comment

Lou,

A date field is one of the worst linking fields possible. There are other ways to get to where you want to be. Think if a date is changed, link is broken?? Not to say it cannot work sopmetimes, just not the best idea.

Ideally, a patient is entered one time. Child records can be many and varied.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Lou, I understand a bit more now, but I'm with Dave again on this one.
            Was the attached DBase of no use?

Logically, the Claimant (insured) will/should have an ID.
            Children may have an ID of their own, so,
            Mother ID = 123
            Child 1 ID = 234

Child Table would have Parent ID = 123, Child 1 ID = 234, Child 2 ID = 456

Set View =

Parent
            --Child 1
            --Child 2

The amounts claimed should I suggest be in a separate Table just keyed on the ID's so they can be sorted and analysed.

Example;
            You could create a Browse with a "Total" field for the claims linked to a Claimant over say the past 12 months, or within the Insurance Period. Show in RED if the budget is exceeded.
            This would require another Set with Claims linked via ID to the Parent/Child details.

Do you have a Visio Logical Diagram we could look at?

Comment

I have a names table as master

names mid,n,10,0
              connected to money by mid,n,10,0 one to one
              connected to trades by mid,n,10,0 one to many
              other parts of the set are done from other fields such as the car sold is connected by stock number one to one.

No user ever sees the mid field. It is always hidden completely. They do not need to use it, so why confuse them?

Make sense?
              Last edited by DaveM; 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions. The records by client do not have iD for eac person. Even if they did, they would not be matched since the originating data is from different sources. I could of course do an update and post ID's to both files, that would only result in the same anomaly. The inability to have the parent table which has single records match a child where there are single and more than one record for the same instance of service.

Ex: Parent Child
                ---------------- ----------------------
                Claim No Date Fnm Lnm Cost Type Claim No date Fnm Lnm Cost Type

2299000` 1/1/11 John Jones 20.00 medical 34567 1/1/11 John Jones 10.00 Medical

34567 1/1/11 John Jones 10.00 Outpatient

3245555 1/1/11 Paul Thomas 45.00 45454 1/1/11 Paul Thomas 45.00 Outpatient

How would you do a one to one or one to many ? Keep in mind often the names in the child data base are not equal character to character due to how the input was done by the owner of the system and also truncation when downloaded. At present I am bale to catch the 2nd child record based on learned inconsistency,however it is not an efficient method.

Lou

Comment

If the data is rubbish then it needs to be cleaned up. Forget developing a system until you get this sorted. You will go mad and get blamed.
                  You cannot easily match records in a Set without some sort of handle to link them.
                  You could start by matching data using a constructed field comprising name, age, gender, DoB, etc whatever you have and using the Soundex Function.
                  Build a Joined table and get the user/system owner to confirm what is correct.
                  Once the data in the imported tables is correct you can start to create appropriate links.

Comment

Working...
                  X