Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Functions Missing From Xbasic Explorer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Functions Missing From Xbasic Explorer?

Just wondering why I can't find this function in the X-basic Explorer: FORMAT_DATA() ~ ie: format_data(12,"$(B")

There are others too.... Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but I've checked everywhere. (At least I think I have.)
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Re: Functions Missing From Xbasic Explorer?

Because someone didn't create the entry for it. Yes, there are plenty of others.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
        Because someone didn't create the entry for it. Yes, there are plenty of others.
        Wow....
        With a complete set, and a wildcard search feature ~ you'd have a great "off line" coding reference. (To take the place of the old .chm file!)

It a'so seems strange that you can't always get bubble help coding assistance unless you drag and drop from the system.a5 branch.
        (identical entries without the a5 prefix don't always return bubble help, yet sometimes you can get it from the system branch.) ~ and then remove the a5 prefix.

It's a shame the entire set (of everything) is not "at your fingertips!"
        Seems to me that getting all the objects and references into the XbE should be a priority for Alpha....
        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

You should have waited one millisecond before posting. See above (post #3).

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
            You should have waited one millisecond before posting. See above (post #3).
            Thanks G, I had actually found the reference. I was just surprised all these are missing from the XbE....
            I had figured the XbE would have been / should be a "comprehensive listing" of all things available to the coder......

Does anyone have any idea of how much is actually missing from there? (Is the XbE missing ~5%, or more like ~25%?)
            I had been using the XbE to "visually scan" for new functions / methods, assuming it was a complete listing.....

The fact that it is not, is a bit dis-heartening as the XbE layout is particularly beneficial, as it categorizes "everything" (so I thought) under the appropriate node/object.....

Thus, I was thinking a wildcard search feature (within the XbE) would be great for finding new functions/methods & ways to do things. (but not if too much is missing.) ~Looks like I have to live in the wiki to do this, which adds steps to the complexity of coding X-basic....

~A comprehensive listing in the XbE aong with built in wildcard search (by tree branch/node [including all subs]) would benefit users in so many ways! Imagine: If Alpha also provided a "added to version X filter"..... Then when you upgrade to no versions, you could instantly review & explore all the new coding features available with each version released!....

XbE: Wildcard search & filter it.... Find it..., Drag it (use it).... (and let the bubble help do the rest)..... That's what I was thinking the XbE is/was/should&could be....
            Last edited by SNusa; 02-16-2012, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Robert,

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
              It's a shame the entire set (of everything) is not "at your fingertips!"
              Seems to me that getting all the objects and references into the XbE should be a priority for Alpha....
              Actually, I do have most of them at my fingertips. Practically the entire set of functions and methods (scripts too), which I've extracted with proprietary tools I developed.

The problem is not putting the functions etc into an XBasic Explorer, its leaving out the "junk". There are 10,000+ functions and methods in Alpha Five, and many of them are 1 or more of the following;
              • Old obsolete code,
              • Badly written code,
              • highly specialized functions used by another piece of code,
              • functions that do the same thing, but use variants of the parameters, (mostly because one Alpha Software coder did not know the other existed IMHO, so they "rolled" their own)
              • Test code left in
              • code from other versions
              • etc.

Trust me that you don't want your head cluttered with much of this "junk". Even so, there are still too many "better" functions that few ever use or understand, much less get documented.

To give you an idea of the more useful fast and efficient XBasic functions and methods, see my Good A5 Functions to use tips.
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
                ..... Actually, I do have most of them at my fingertips. Practically the entire set of functions and methods (scripts too), which I've extracted with proprietary tools I developed..... The problem is not putting the functions etc into an XBasic Explorer, its leaving out the "junk". There are 10,000+ functions and methods in Alpha Five, and many of them are 1 or more of the following;.....
                10,000+ WOW!!!!..... Thanks for the enlightenment Ira. (as usual)

This probably makes me come across as "ignorant" (definitely not "simple minded") ~ But (given the logic present in much of Alpha5) I was under the notion that: Somehow all the objects, x-basic itself, all functions & methods etc... were already internally "contained" (and organized) in some built-in /indexed database which could easily be "mapped to the XbE...... I'm almost a little bit surprised they are not. (But then again, I am merely "looking from the outside in."
                Last edited by SNusa; 02-17-2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

As far as I know just about any function is listed including the system ones, some however are not documented.
                  The ones that are not listed you might find in "What's new in v...(latest version)".
                  As usual, documentation always falls behind development.

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
                    To give you an idea of the more useful fast and efficient XBasic functions and methods, see my Good A5 Functions to use tips.

Ira: Under your Tips section ~ "Using Dates in Databases", I saw this:

"The reason for this it automatically orders the data by year, then month then day. If used in a filename, particularly at the beginning, it allows easy sorting by date by sorting by the filename."

Why do you suppose that Alpha doesn't follow conventions like this?
                    For example when exporting a script.... The backup appends the date in the name in a non sort-able fashion.... ie: "editcustomerxdialog - 02-17-2012 -1.txt" ~ Using naming conventions like this are "illogical" and have always irritated me. (And poor default naming conventions like this are so prevalent in the computing world!)

Comment

Hi Robert,

Why do you suppose that Alpha doesn't follow conventions like this?
                      I don't make the rules for Alpha Software. Consequences of changing the filename in most cases would be minimal or non-existent.

For example when exporting a script.... The backup appends the date in the name in a non sort-able fashion.... ie: "editcustomerxdialog - 02-17-2012 -1.txt".........(And poor default naming conventions like this are so prevalent in the computing world!)
                      But it requires dedication to create and stick to a naming scheme, and this applies everywhere. E.g. Function naming, parameter naming, etc. Much of this is discovered by writing an application for real life, and targeting multiple users. Read Cal's Naming Convention document and you will see other ideas, not all of them identical to what I do, but gives you a good basis for nomenclature methods that work well with Alpha Five (or for that matter, anything)

An example of my own. I have used many naming schemes for digital media, but the one that has worked universally for me and others is the format yyyymmdd_ab##_description.ext where ab is a two letter media source (e.g. ip for my name), and ## is a 0 filled sequence number for the day (extended to as many digits as needed). Ext was simply the original extension. In my case, ab is normally null except for other sources, and description normally has event, location or photo subject(s) in it, with no spaces and underscores used in lieu of spaces. I once gave 15000 photos to someone, and they said they could always find precisely the image they needed in very short order because of the naming the convention for a yearbook they were making.
                      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Robert -

You are free to change the naming when you run the script/udf export. You can also roll your own script/udf export that names the file in a fashion you prefer. For me having the date scheme go month, day, year is logical and how I would expect to see a date value in text format. If you want to sort on the date value you have the option to sort on date modified or date created instead of the file name.
                        Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Originally posted by aschone View Post
                          You are free to change the naming when you run the script/udf export.
                          You can, but it's still a pain. Alpha could even create a template for you as a setting for the format. My CSDA Screen Capture for Alpha Five does that so you can have a format of your choosing for each screen save.

You can also roll your own script/udf export that names the file in a fashion you prefer.
                          I have. It's not that easy if you want compatibility with Alpha Five's script/udf import. But that very feature is built into my CSDA Code Utility for Alpha Five, but there are many other places as well that the issue comes up.

For me having the date scheme go month, day, year is logical and how I would expect to see a date value in text format.
                          Boy, that's very "American centric" (and I was born and bred American). I wonder what the people in the UK and Europe would say? Wouldn't it be better to have one format for all?

If you want to sort on the date value you have the option to sort on date modified or date created instead of the file name.
                          Create dates can get modified with some copy and archiving procedures. And modify dates can be changed every time you open it up in some editors. Wouldn't it be better to have a consistent format that isn't normally changed you can sort easily?

And whether you know it or not, a date or long time field in DBFs store the date portion in the yyyymmdd format, despite the format you enter and view it in.
                          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Sorry I posted my opinions on the matter. Ignore my previous post.
                            Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I posted my opinions on the matter. Ignore my previous post.
                              Don't be sorry. Meaningful discussions, good or bad, often lead to better ideas and solutions. Many of my best ideas in coding often come from a supposedly inconsequential comment some one else made. Hopefully, my comments let you think about other ways, and I realize not every one sees things the same way, and not everyone has had the same experiences. We all learn from each other.

But one thing that may be relevant is how does a right-to-left language (such as Hebrew), adjust to a left-to-write number embedded in text? I'm not sure, and maybe the need is there for a ddmmyyyy format as well when creating filenames for that language?
                              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Working...
                              X