Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Combining Husband and Wife names for newsletter name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combining Husband and Wife names for newsletter name

I have two tables. One is people and contains fields called first names, last names, etc. The second is a family table that contains family names. Everyone in the People table has a family and family number from the family table. In the People table there is also a field called "Family_Relationship" which has selections of Head, Spouse, Child, or Single. I need to create a calculated field that will give me the following:

For a record with Head in the Family_Relationship field - First name of the family head and first name of the Spouse and the last name (example: John and Jane Doe)
    For a record with Spouse in the Family_Relationship field - Same as above
    For a record with Child or Single in the Family_Relationship field - First and Last name (example:Julie Shaw)

My reason is for a newsletter name where I only send one copy to a couple and it would have both their names on it. Is there another way to do this if this is not possible?
    Attached Files

Re: Combining Husband and Wife names for newsletter name

As I look at this it's after midnight for me so I am not going to be able to give this much attention. However, at first blush I am confused by your set design, i.e., I am not sure what you are trying to do with it or even how you could reasonably do what I think you want. But:

1) In today's family situations a simple "John and Jane Doe" is wholly inadequate, i.e., tons of husbands have wives with different last names, and with step children many "children" of these couples even have a last name different from either their "father" or "mother" (biological or other wise). I would like to think you would want to be able to handle any of these situations.

2) If what you are doing with your database is very simple and doesn't involve a oodles of children, you might consider doing the whole thing as a single table with enough fields to cover a reasonable number of children. Would waste a lot of space but might make life very simple for you (i.e., your calculated filed would be very easy).

3) If a single table is unappealing, you might try a simpler set with just 2 tables, one with a ID field and maybe the 1st and last name of the head of the household and a 2nd table with the same ID field and 3 other fields: First name, Last name and relationship (spouse, child, etc.). The first table would be the parent in the set linked one to many with the 2nd table. With that arrangement I am sure you could build the calculated name field you are after.

4) Or, maybe someone else will have an even better idea.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Raymond,
      Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry I did not explain this all better. As I'm sure you understand, I am learning as I go so certainly open to other ways of doing this. The database I am working on is a replacement for a Lotus Approach dbase that I put together 18 years ago for our not for profit organization. It also includes a number of other tables that track donations, trips, volunteers, trip members, workers and partners. I just sent the tables and fields that were related to the specific issue. I send out receipts that most families want addressed to both the husband and wife. Therefore I need a field for the names along with a greeting field that includes both first names. I also send out letters and newsletters that I need that for. Spouses with different last names or hyphenated names are treated as individuals concerning receipts and I have a check box to select whether both or just one received newsletters. Children need to have their own records since they take part in trips individually and often without their parents. Of course, I also want to track which family they belong to, since often there are several from different families in the same town with the same last name. Step kids and kids are treated the same. If they live in the home they are considered kids.

I don't know X basic but can usually figure out the expressions since Lotus had all the programing written into expressions. Although Alpha does things somewhat different in some areas, I used the Alpha Sports example as a pattern for how I did much of mine. I have about everything else working with just a few issues like this left. I believe I need to have individual records for each person, so I can track their participation in trips any personal information that relates to their participation. I hope that gives a better idea of what I need. I understand my first post was pretty vague. Thanks for looking at it.

Roger

Comment

Roger,
        Having developed a couple of application for the same purpose you have described, I can share with you a method that I found to be the most robust for the purpose of what you're doing.

The premise is all persons are part of a family, and have 3 components to their personal identification number (pqid), a family number, their gender, and what position within the family they hold. The pqid is a combination of the 6 character family number, the gender of the person (1=male, 2=female), and the 2 character family position number (likely 2 not needed now days but maybe).

Family ID: 000001
        Husband(father) - 000001.101,
        wife (mother) - 000001.202
        first child - 000001.103 if boy or 000001.203 if girl
        second child - 000001.104 if boy or 000001.204 if girl

What this allows is for the capabilities of generating robust groupings, countings and relations. And it is all within a single table, not complex sets. You can do wonderful groupings and derive fun facts like "how many girls have an older brother?" and "how many families have 2 girls?" and "what is the gender of the youngest child?" ....based exclusively on the pqids.

It has worked very well using this strategy.

later:
        Oh yes... the number for not being a mother or father and being single is family_no.100 man and .200 woman.
        Last edited by Mike Wilson; 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM.
        Mike W

Comment

Much as I like Mike's scheme, I have a hunch Roger won't want to go in that direction without a working sample showing at the very least what he asked about for an addressee line for newsletters, etc. Still, I do like the one table idea.

Roger, I looked again at your set scheme in your sample DB and I still can't understand why you want to go with a set like that, and I don't yet see how using that set you could get the calculated field you asked for. I'm also not clear why the addressee line necessarily has to be a calculated field, though often that is the best way.

In any case, take a look sample DB I am attaching here. It has 2 simple tables and 1 set using those 2 tables. If nothing else it may give others lesson in one way (not necessarily the best way) to approach what I think you are trying to do. It also shows how to deal with many of the somewhat unorthodox family situations we have in today's world (mine being one of them).

Raymond Lyons

Later: Also note that if there were a need to have even the head of the household in the table with the rest of the family, just add them as "Head" under relation and have only common things in the Primary table of the set along with the family ID, i.e., the address, main telephone number, etc. Of course then you would have to modify the calculated fields in my example, but that should be easy.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Raymond Lyons; 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Mike and Raymond,

Thanks for your suggestions. Raymond, It looks like you have what I am needing. I will need to study on it a bit and figure out how to get my info into that type of set up. It does make more sense that what I had. Thanks!

Roger

Comment

Raymond,

If I were to have the head of the household in the table with the rest of the family, do I still need to list him in the Primary Table under Hd_L_name and Hd_1stname? If not, I am not clear on how to write that expression for the calculated field.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by dayspring View Post
                Raymond,

If I were to have the head of the household in the table with the rest of the family, do I still need to list him in the Primary Table under Hd_L_name and Hd_1stname? If not, I am not clear on how to write that expression for the calculated field.

Roger
                Roger,

Yes, I'm afraid you would need the head in the primary table, or at least I see no other way to do it at the moment.
                Moreover, I overlooked another potential problem with the calcs I presented earlier. It is that the calcs don't work unless the child record you are on is the one for the spouse, as that is the only child record the calcs can "see". So for letters you'd have to make sure the spouse was the first child record.

So, I suggest that you make the Addressee be a single field in the primary table along with common family things like the mailing address, main phone #, etc. That way the calculated field for addressee is gone. If for some reason you need the Head names included in the child table, do so and I think I would then remove those fields from the primary table, as they would then seem to be redundant and unnecessary.

Raymond Lyons
                Last edited by Raymond Lyons; 01-16-2013, 05:01 AM. Reason: Corections

Comment

OK, Here is the example using my described method. The salutation is a calculated field in the Mailing Report. Hope this helps.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mike Wilson; 01-16-2013, 01:16 PM.
                  Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
                    OK, Here is the example using my described method. The salutation is a calculated field in the Mailing Report. Hope this helps.
                    Like I said in the beginning, I like Mike's one table idea, at least from some standpoints. And yes, it meets the letter Roger's stated need. But Mike (and Roger), how are you going to deal spouses with different last names? Maybe you still do, but we as a society haven't lived in a world in which a husband and wife MUST have the same last name in many decades. So Mike, how could your scheme be made to work for people like me where my wife's last name is the last name she was born with and our kids last names are different yet because they took the last name of their biological father, my wife's former husband? Are we not a family in your world? My wife, our kids and our grandchildren would strongly say we are as much a family as any on the planet. End of a possibly unwarranted rant.

Mike, I am pretty sure you can deal with us in your scheme, though it may need to be modified in some way.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
                      .... End of a possibly unwarranted rant.

Mike, I am pretty sure you can deal with us in your scheme, though it may need to be modified in some way.

Raymond Lyons
                      Mike, I noticed that your table does have spouses with different last names but your cf_sal calc does not deal with them. I think they and the issue in my rant could be dealt with by modifying your calculated field in the report as follows:

Code:
                      cf_sal = IF(alltrim(lookup("folks","pqid="+quote(fmly_no+".202"),"Lname"))="",Alltrim(Fname)+" "+alltrim(Lname),IF(Lname<>alltrim(lookup("folks","pqid="+quote(fmly_no+".202"),"Lname")),if(right(pqid,1)="0",alltrim(Fname),alltrim(fname)+" "+alltrim(Lname)+" and "+alltrim(lookup("folks","pqid="+quote(fmly_no+".202"),"fname")))+" "+alltrim(lookup("folks","pqid="+quote(fmly_no+".202"),"Lname")),if(right(pqid,1)="0",alltrim(Fname),alltrim(fname)+" and "+alltrim(lookup("folks","pqid="+quote(fmly_no+".202"),"fname")))+" "+alltrim(Lname)))
                      On the other hand your way of using lookups could probably be used in the set I gave Roger and then the "Head" names could be dropped from the set's primary table and have the Head in the child table. On still another hand, I still see no good reason not to just have the Addressee field be one of the things in primary table (along with the address and so on), as kind of header data common to all members of the family. That way no complex calc field would be needed and one could even do things like "Dear Jack and Diane" in a letter if being so informal for some couples were appropriate. Yes, I know, Addressee and salutation are different things, so you might need 2 fields in the header if you wanted informality in a salutation.

But don't get me wrong, I am impressed with what you have done in a single table even though the scheme is a bit complex. Good work.

Raymond Lyons
                      Last edited by Raymond Lyons; 01-16-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

You got it, Raymond. Exactly.
                        Mike W

Comment

You got it, Raymond. Exactly.
                          Mike (and Roger),

I have been playing around with the idea of using a lookup in the calc in my one to many set scheme but I can't make that work. Roger, let us know how you proceed.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

The premise is all persons are part of a family, and have 3 components to their personal identification number (pqid), a family number, their gender, and what position within the family they hold. The pqid is a combination of the 6 character family number, the gender of the person (1=male, 2=female), and the 2 character family position number (likely 2 not needed now days but maybe).

Family ID: 000001
                            Husband(father) - 000001.101,
                            wife (mother) - 000001.202
                            first child - 000001.103 if boy or 000001.203 if girl
                            second child - 000001.104 if boy or 000001.204 if girl

... the number for not being a mother or father and being single is family_no.100 man and .200 woman.
                            Mike,

What happens when Junior (000001.103) has his own family and becomes dad?
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                              Mike,

What happens when Junior (000001.103) has his own family and becomes dad?
                              And they have to move back in with Grandma & Grandpa! Sadly, it happens! In fact it happened to a friend of mine just last month.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X