Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Internal Error - Data Truncated - The buffer for receiving data is too short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

I'm using the Export to Excel feature as a means to backup my client's tables. It backs up 5 different tables. This has worked great for nearly 2 years. Recently, I started getting the following error message on one of the 5 tables:

Could not export table 'activity.dbf'
    Error exporting table:

This happen to coincide with the table going over 3000 records for the first time. It is the only table over 3000 records. Not sure if it is related but thought I should mention it. The remaining 4 tables export without issue.

Has anyone see this before and if so, does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

The system is running on a Windows 7 laptop with I believe 4gb of memory.

Please let me know if there is any further information needed to better explore this issue.

Thanks in advance.
    Bob

Re: Internal Error - Data Truncated - The buffer for receiving data is too short

Haven't seen this one before.

Error msg suggests that something in the data is causing an issue. Does the activity table have a memo field? Anything odd in the records that have been entered "recently"? Is the size of the memo field file ( the FPT file ) normal, or has it ballooned to some huge number measured in gigabytes?

Comment

Re: Internal Error - Data Truncated - The buffer for receiving data is too short

Perhaps make copy of that table, for backup, then;
      copy the first half of records to tableA and the second half to tableB. Try the export on both halves.
      Then you will know which you are dealing with, size problem or faulty data in one of the two segments.

Comment

Hello Tom
        Thank you for the follow up. There are 2 memo fields. I don't recall the FPT file being particularly large but I will double-check on that once I get back over to my clients and can examine the data. Nothing odd entered recently that I'm aware of. I hadn't really thought about it being a data problem so I will examine the data more closely. I will follow up again shortly with that information. Thanks again!

Comment

Hello Ray,
          Thank you as well for your follow up. When I'm at my clients next, I will get a copy of the data so I can try this out. I will follow up with my findings.

Comment

Ray and Tom,
            Thank you again for your follow ups. For whatever reason, I wouldn't have thought this to be a data issue. But it turns out you were both on the right track with this. I took a variation of Ray's idea to diagnose this problem. I made a backup of my data and then deleted all the data that was added after the approximate timeframe that this problem started. The Excel Export was successful. I then added all the data back in and started removing large rows of data from the end working my way backwards in time. The data is very date driven so I deleted rows based on dates. I'd delete a segment of data. Try the Export. Most often in continued to fail. But then I reached a certain point where it didn't fail. I then added back in my last segment of data and then slowly removed smaller segments of data. To make long story shorter, I honed it down to 1 particular record. These records are only made up of about 8 fields, 2 of which are memo fields (and only 1 of the memo fields ever gets used). Anyway, once I found the record, I simply deleted the single bad record and everything was good. I then used the system to add the record back in and now everything is good. There was nothing visibly wrong with the record. Maybe it was something in the memo file. Regardless it is now working. Would love to know what it was but am just happy my client can reliably back up their data.

Thanks again for your help. You gave me just enough ideas to figure this out. Much appreciated!
            Bob

Comment

Bob, thanks for the "after action report". May very well help some other traveler in these parts down the line.

Comment

Working...
              X