Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Excel export of browse: Controlling column titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel export of browse: Controlling column titles

There are several ways to export a browse to an Excel file, ranging from fully customized to exporting what you see on the browse after manipulating it.

It is the latter about which I have a question. Once a user has done a column sort and one or more quick filters, the user then wants to export to Excel. This is easily accomplished with <OBJECT>.QUICK_EXPORT() or the existing default Excel export button on the tool bar.

Here's the question about this "raw" export. Is there a way to control the column headings rather than using field names? Field names can often be unfriendly to the user, especially if you rely on your custom field titles when putting them in a form or browse view.

For example, let's say I have a field named ts_name. The field label for this is "Trade show name". When this "raw" Excel export takes place, the column title is ts_name. I would like it be be "Trade show name". I don't mind creating a custom export for this, but if I do this, then I don't know of a way to let the custom export also export what the user sees as the result of their sorting and filtering.

Any ideas? Or is neither of these possible in your opinion?

Thanks.

Jeff

Re: Excel export of browse: Controlling column titles

Yes, you can. v11 does this by using it's .NET functionality. But the good news is, that this has already been built into v10. Search the v11 help (or WIKI) for "Excel". There's a lot of help on this and many examples. Just make sure you have the last v10 patch - I don't know at what point they introduced this methodology into v10, but it might not work in earlier builds. This is very cool functionality.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
      Yes, you can. v11 does this by using it's .NET functionality. But the good news is, that this has already been built into v10. Search the v11 help (or WIKI) for "Excel". There's a lot of help on this and many examples. Just make sure you have the last v10 patch - I don't know at what point they introduced this methodology into v10, but it might not work in earlier builds. This is very cool functionality.
      Well, this sounds very exciting. They're actually using v 10.5, so I assume that this revision already has what you are referring to.

Thanks Peter.

Jeff

Comment

Peter,

I tried to determine, with V11 loaded and updated for most recent patch, within the desktop environment, where you would specify that the field columns should have field titles rather than field names. Trying this both for the quick export to Excel as well as the custom operation, I could not find this anywhere.

Where do you accomplish this?

Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,
          If you created an ASCII text file with only the data (no field names), couldn't you script to add the names you want into the first record of that file and then open Excel with that file?

In the field rules for the table you have the option of adding a descriptive field name that will display on forms, you should be able to get this property for the fields you select for export.

Copied from the Object Explorer for the browse and pasted into IW
          ?topparent:Help_id.Object.Column_title
          ="Help ID"
          Last edited by MoGrace; 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM.
          Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
            Hi Jeff,
            If you created an ASCII text file with only the data (no field names), couldn't you script to add the names you want into the first record of that file and then open Excel with that file?

In the field rules for the table you have the option of adding a descriptive field name that will display on forms, you should be able to get this property for the fields you select for export.

Copied from the Object Explorer for the browse and pasted into IW
            ?topparent:Help_id.Object.Column_title
            ="Help ID"
            Well, according to Peter G, the solution is simpler than this. He says it's already built in (somewhere) to be able to do the quick export to Excel using the form of the browse that the user has set up (sorts and filters).

I'm trying to keep this simple, and if in the end I need to end up with field names instead of field labels, so be it. Since I couldn't find anywhere what Peter was saying, I think he misunderstood what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the ASCII approach. That certainly is a way to go, but identifying which columns and in what order to be populated in the first record has a potential set of issues.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff I just took a saved browse filtered it and sorted it, then using the print options, saved it as an Excel file - it opened with my column titles and not the field names. Granted it had a couple of blank lines at the top - but it seems this is getting closer to what you want to do.
              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Jeff I just took a saved browse filtered it and sorted it, then using the print options, saved it as an Excel file - it opened with my column titles and not the field names. Granted it had a couple of blank lines at the top - but it seems this is getting closer to what you want to do.
                So rather than the standard Export to Excel, which I find just uses field names, you're saying that if you print to Excel it results in an Excel file which is essentially WYSIWYG of the browse. I never thought about printing to Excel. I'm going to try this now and get back.

Jeff

Comment

The print genie also lets you copy the Xbasic which you can put in a button on the browse toolbar.
                  Robin

Comment

The print genie also lets you copy the Xbasic which you can put in a button on the browse toolbar.
                    Thanks for all of this. Suddenly I need to wait to experiment with this, but the big idea is printing rather than exporting. I'll try formulating this when I have a chance. And yes, I know I can just create a custom Excel export button that prints rather than exports, and this may be the way to get the friendlier field labels.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Fried View Post
                      Where do you accomplish this?
                      See the attached image. The arrow is pointing below where there are a dozen or so links w. many examples.

NET Excel.png

You can export the data as you are doing currently and then modify the spreadsheet dynamically.

e.g.

Code:
                      dim Doc as Office::ExcelDocument
                      dim Sheet as Office::Spreadsheet

dim filename as C = "C:\Users\Peter\A5\_A5_Clients\xxxxx\zzz\Sample.xlsx"

IF Doc.Load(filename)
                          IF Doc.FindSheet(Sheet,"Sheet1")
                              Sheet.Write(1,1,"Column1 Heading") 
                              Doc.Save(filename)
                          END IF
                      END IF

delete doc
                      sys_open(filename)
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

See the attached image. The arrow is pointing below where there are a dozen or so links w. many examples.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35509[/ATTACH]

You can export the data as you are doing currently and then modify the spreadsheet dynamically.

e.g.

Code:
                        dim Doc as Office::ExcelDocument
                        dim Sheet as Office::Spreadsheet

dim filename as C = "C:\Users\Peter\A5\_A5_Clients\xxxxx\zzz\Sample.xlsx"

IF Doc.Load(filename)
                            IF Doc.FindSheet(Sheet,"Sheet1")
                                Sheet.Write(1,1,"Column1 Heading") 
                                Doc.Save(filename)
                            END IF
                        END IF

delete doc
                        sys_open(filename)
                        Wow! That's a lot of setup to go from the simple Export to Excel toolbar icon, which essentially gives the user everything they manipulated EXCEPT the field labels, to a result that is certainly custom but provides, content-wise, what they would get from the simple Export to Excel.

I thought your original assertion about achieving field labels in the Export to Excel was something added to later V10 and V11 that would be a kind of switch that enabled field labels over field names. Once it needs programming, there are many ways to achieve the result. I'm trying to avoid programming to achieve this. Maybe the print to Excel is the answer.

Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

If all you are trying to do is change column headings, the code sample I gave you is quite simple. You can use action scripting to run the Excel export and then add inline xbasic by modifying the above code. But if that's too much, I guess the other methods are possible too.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

If all you are trying to do is change column headings, the code sample I gave you is quite simple. You can use action scripting to run the Excel export and then add inline xbasic by modifying the above code. But if that's too much, I guess the other methods are possible too.
                            Without having studied this, my instinct tells me that if a user manipulated the browse to the point of deleting and repositioning columns, then exporting to Excel based on the selected fields, sorted and filtered the way he wants, then getting the proper field labels on top of each Excel spreadsheet column seems to be the challenge. Ideally, if a simple substitution such as if fieldname="ts_name" then use "Trade Show name" would be a nice and tidy way to solve this.

Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,
                              I suppose it all depends on what your plans for the spreadsheet are...
                              Robin

Comment

Working...
                              X