Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another PC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another P

For clarification Dave.
    Do you install a Runtime separately from the App? YES, see below
    I'm not clear about getting .net on the machine. Does it come bundled with the RT package?
    KINDA YES, See below

I install a copy of my runtime that was created on my developement machine. I do not run the alpha installer because it wants to install somewhere else. I include registry entries, dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, vcredist_x86.exe and the batch files(slightly modified) for registering. I isntall all this by way of astrum.

Astrum can detect .net4.0 and I can conditionally install.
    I am working on c++ runtime now and got this response from Thraex:

Adding the following variable might work:
    Variable name: <VisualCpp2010RuntimeExists>
    Default value: 0
    Variable type: Number
    Get variable from: Registry
    Root key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Path: SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5D9ED403-94DE-3BA0-B1D6-71F4BDA412E6}
    And then tick the "Set to true if exists" check box next to the Path field. Value name may be left empty.

I now install runtime(copy) into c:\alda and the app into c:\alda\appname. I used to do this different, but watched what ms, broderbund and other large companies do. Figured there must be a reason.

.net did not come with runtime in v10, but later patches included the short version. It does not appear to run unless .net4 is not installed. I do not have v11 runtime, so cannot test it. I hope someone will.

It would be wonderful if alpha would chime in as how they detect some of this stuff.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Re: Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another P

Somewhere in this thread someone asked how the Alpha Five v11 Installed (which is written using the Wise Installer) detects if the .Net Framework is already installed, or if it need to be installed.

We are reading two registry keys:
      I have extracted the relevant part from the Wise Installer script below to show what registry keys we are looking at:

item: Get Registry Key Value
      Variable=DOTNETFULL
      Key=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\
      Default=NotFound
      Value Name=Install
      Flags=00000100
      end
      item: Get Registry Key Value
      Variable=DOTNETCLIENT
      Key=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client\
      Default=NotFound
      Value Name=Install
      Flags=00000100
      end

Comment

Thank you Selwyn!!!

Now the c++ runtime???
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I am not in my office now, so i can't check for sure, but i don't believe we check if it has been installed - we just install it regardless.

Comment

FYI I have almost nailed this insomuch as I now have an astrum installation checking for .net4 and installing if required. The C++ install is not currently recognising that it is already installed, once I have figured that out......

Thanks Dave for the various pointers, much appreciated.
            Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glenn,

I have not tried this yet. It is from astrum:
              Adding the following variable might work:

Variable name: <VisualCpp2010RuntimeExists>
              Default value: 0
              Variable type: Number
              Get variable from: Registry
              Root key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
              Path: SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5D9ED403-94DE-3BA0-B1D6-71F4BDA412E6}

And then tick the "Set to true if exists" check box next to the Path field. Value name may be left empty.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                Glenn,

I have not tried this yet. It is from astrum:
                Hi Dave

I have tried it but it has not worked for me yet ie: it carries on attempting to install c++ but if it is already installed it offers to repair it!
                Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

I installed my first long developing v10 runtime and app.

step 1.
                  Unzipped my A5 zipped app onto the server, I just use the same folder name that I have - not absolutely necessary but does eliminate some random possibilities later on. Also copied any external files if any. Also copied Alphas RuntimeInstaller exe - any folder plus the pre-modified shortcut.
                  step 2.
                  At a terminal, navigate to the server, runtime folder (step1.), run the installer - which also did a .NET4 install - and I copy the shortcut to the desktop. Test it.
                  step 3.
                  repeat step 2 at every terminal

However. Either I - or an appointed IS installer - or an on-site employee are present at the premises for the initial installation. I develop turnkey apps - with specific changes for almost every client. So I dont require any high level of automation.
                  to update I (previously) emailed my updated A5 zip, using a saved ZIP having de-selected tables that must not overwrite
                  Most developers couldn't do it this way. But for my type of scenario or starting out or for you own business - do it like this and then you will better understand what you need to automate for future.

I am definitely NOT advocating no need for an installer - on all the good advice I've been given will, when able, start setting up Astrum installer.
                  Remote updates have been nerve-wracking. It's so easy for me - or client - or even the presence of an unknown to cause error
                  Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 12-04-2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Ray,

We are not looking at a manual install this is not the problem, our aim is to prepare an install.exe that can be shipped on a CD or as a download that does not require any user PC knowledge or input. This has been pretty straight forward in the past but now we must introduce the .net4 and c++ stuff so until I can automate this I must hold back on shipping the later Runtime versions of V10.5 and V11.

I am presently considering a method to install both a dummy app with the older V10 engine that will run with or without .net4 together with the real app and V11 engine, then use xbasic within the dummy V10 app to check if .net4 and c++ exists and force the user to load if necessary then overwrite the shortcut .startup so that future starts will apply the V11 engine. Hopefully the user then will only need a 'yes or no' decision to install .net and c++ if indeed it is required. To achieve this I would need to know the xbasic to detect .net 4 or c++ existance, can any one help.

Michael
                    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk
                    Last edited by Michael Humby; 12-04-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Yes Michael, I understand fully.
                      My post was certainly not aimed at you. I haven't done a lot of installations.
                      With 69 posts here and questions coming up on other posts, installation of V10 could look fairly daunting to the less initiated.
                      I admit I didn't know what to expect myself - so I thought to share my experience of a manual installation for those
                      starting out, or for you own business - do it like this

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
                        You are not ruffling anything. People on this forum are simply trying to help you. Let's just stick to the issue, which I am STILL not clear about.

Is the issue that you can't install your app using the InstallMaker that comes with A5, or is it something else?

If the issue is simply that you can't install your app using InstallMaker, then I suspect it is because of the .net framework, which I have previously mentioned.

The Installmaker allows you to create an install for a) both the runtime files and your app files, or b) just your app files.

You should choose option b.

That leaves you with the task of getting the a5 runtime files installed on the target machine. I suggested earlier in this thread that the easiest way to do this is by distributing the a5 runtime install program itself.

If you don't want to do that (for some reason that you have not made clear), then you can use a 3rd party install program. If you are going to use a 3rd party install program, then you might as well have it install your app files as well - not just the runtime files.
                        Are you suggesting here that 1). the developer distribute the runtime install exe file to the end user, and in so doing, 2). the runtime will install the .NET runtime if it is not detected on the target machine?

This might be an easier alternative than having an installer such as Astrum automatically install .NET for you along with the runtime.
                        Regards,
                        Chet Sapino
                        President,
                        SAPINO Enterprises
                        6451 Pheasant Rd
                        East Syracuse, NY 13057

Comment

Chet, see new thread started by Mike.
                          http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ng-.net4-and-c
                          See our Hybrid Option here;
                          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Let's say this.

You cannot run a bootstrap in v11 unless you have installed .net4 and c++ runtime. I do it from astrum
                            You cannot install of v11 to any folder you want unless you are at the machine. Only the user sitting there can.

You can use an installer like astrum to put v11 in any folder you choose(or clients choice), it can also install .net4(conditionally), c++ runtime, and put your application where you or the user wants. You can do this without being at the machine yourself. Then you can run your bootstrap when the startup link is pressed.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Yes Chet
                              Since you asked on this post, I do it that way, I think anyone can but it depends on the level of automation you require.
                              That's the trade-off.

If you're doing it "manually" often, then you can decide.
                              But get the experience manually first then you will better understand what all the rest of this thread is about.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                                Mike,

Were you using something odd in the app that cause it to access .net? Mine are usually pretty plain Jane apps. There are few of the newer setups in them.

Anyway, based on what you just said, I am going to include the .net as I already do. I had figured that on moving an app to v11, I would need it anyway.

Some of my installs do not go on computers with web access. I pretty much have to install from the big file. I think there are 2 .net 40 installs. One is client and the other is the full. May be wrong, but I don't think it matters which is on the puter for alpha. Can you verify that? I have posed questions in astrum forum and hope to get an answer in a few days that may clarify some of this.
                                It seems like you might be referring to a 10.5 app and that you are going to install .net for it in the future?? Is this true?

as far as I know, you don't need .net for a v10.5 app unless you are using a .net component that requires it.
                                Regards,
                                Chet Sapino
                                President,
                                SAPINO Enterprises
                                6451 Pheasant Rd
                                East Syracuse, NY 13057

Comment

Working...
                                X