Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

archive a report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

archive a report

hello,

i selected the archive option on the rpots shortcut menu in the control panel.

the bottom part of the print genie appeared. i didn't select any filters, then clicked the next button, then clicked the finish button.

i was expecting to see a dialog box or an option so that i could save the archive report. instead, some little dialog box appeared and disappeared in maybe 2 seconds.

i can't figure out where this archive report is.

i looked in the help file for more information on archive reports on this page http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Archiving+a+Report and some of the links on it , but did not see anything on archiving reports, so i'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of how to use this option.

thank you
    tracy

Re: archive a report

Tracy, this might explain matters. From the Help File. You need to look for the PDF.

Overview of Print Functions

Alpha Five allows you to print and preview all layout types under Xbasic control. In addition, you can specify custom toolbars and menus for the print preview window. You can also use Xbasic to specify the printer driver to use, and if you are printing to file, you can use Xbasic to specify the output filename.

To print, or preview a layout, you use the appropriate method. For example, to preview a report, you use the PREVIEW_REPORT() function, and for a label, you use the PREVIEW_LABEL() function. These function are described in Print Functions.

The Xbasic methods to control the print preview menus and toolbars and for specifying the printer and output filename are also described below.

You can also email your reports etc. to someone else. Alpha Five allows you to email layouts as Adobe Acrobat PDF files, Dynamic HTML, Rich Text, or plain text files. See Email Functions, Methods, and Properties.

In addition to printing layouts, Alpha Five allows you to archive layouts. An archive is simply a copy of the layout printed to a file in the .PDF format. This creates a snapshot of how a particular report or other layout looked at a certain point in time. For example, rather than keeping printed copies of your October 1999 invoices, you could simply create an archived copy. See the REPORT.ARCHIVE() method.

Alpha Five also allows you to print your layouts to file in the following formats: Adobe Acrobat PDF, Dynamic HTML, Rich Text, or plain text. See the REPORT.SAVEAS() method.

The CRLF() and NEW_PAGE() functions generate CR-LF and FF character strings that cause the printer to advance a to the next line or advance to the next page.

See Also

Print Functions, Email Functions, Methods, and Properties, Displaying and Printing Bitmaps
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

hi ted,

i am on a different laptop right now then i have alpha5 installed on, so i can't try this again right now, but i do know that i was not prompted to save the file in pdf or any format.

i was doing this from the control panel. will the archive feature work from there?

i am no where near being ready to try to learn xbasic. the training wheels will not be coming off any time soon.

thank you
      tracy

Comment

Originally posted by The documentation
        The archive file is stored in a folder called "Archive" off the folder in which the current .adb file is stored. Use the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these archived files.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Does Stan's answer resolve your query Tracy?
          Don't worry about learning XBasic - there are lots of ways to see the code which Alpha creates that will help you along. It's not a totally uphill struggle!

Comment

hi ted,

thank you for explaining this to me. are you saying that in order to let a user print the archive report (that does not have a5), i would have write code? hmmm

tracy

Comment

hi ted,

yes, i as able to find the report.

i noticed that depending on where you select the "archive" option, you get different options.

when i selected archive from the right-click report shortcut menu - the report is archived period.

when i preview the report first, then select archive from the File menu, i get a message box that says where the archive report is.

why can't all archive options produce the same results, meaning say where the file is. it would also be nice to be able to be prompted to save the archive report with the file name i want and in the location that i want. am i asking too much?

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
              Does Stan's answer resolve your query Tracy?
              Don't worry about learning XBasic - there are lots of ways to see the code which Alpha creates that will help you along. It's not a totally uphill struggle!

Comment

Originally posted by noviceuser View Post
                why can't all archive options produce the same results, meaning say where the file is. it would also be nice to be able to be prompted to save the archive report with the file name i want and in the location that i want. am i asking too much?
                Tracy, you can put a Button on the Report - in the Header for example - which will launch a process to archive the report.
                I suggest that you have a named Folder where the Archives go, otherwise you will end up chasing the PDF's all over the server and local PC's!

Comment

hello,

the first issue that i have with the archive option (when accessed by right-clicking on the report and selecting the archive option from the reports shortcut menu) is that it does not let me select a file name or folder to store the pdf file in.

when i preview the report first, then select archive from the file menu (from the report preview window), i get a message box that says where the archive report is.

why can't the archive option on the reports shortcut menu work the same as the archive option on the file menu from the prevoew window.

i don't know if this is a bug ot if this is the way it should be.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
                  tracy

Comment

Sorry about the delay Tracy, been away a few days.

The answer to the process is like this I suggest.

Archiving from the File/Archive menu item will place the archived item in the same folder as the database. Alpha will name it for you. It's useful, but not necessarily easily to find later.

If you place a Button on the Report, and create an Action Scripting (AS) session to Archive (pick Archive from the right hand pane in the AS session) you will see that you have an Options Tab.
                    Within this tab you can specify the type of archive you want. If you then create a folder wherever you want to, and using the Folder Picker, give the Report a name, as in
                    D:\Alpha Five\Alpha 5 Test Bed\Alpha Test bits\Alpha Forum and Examples\General examples for Alpha Forum\security\(from the folder picker) Archives\(the new archive folder name)Mysavedreport(This report title)

If you opt for PDF as the Archive medium, every time the Report is archived, a new copy will appear so nothing gets overwritten. I've not really tried the TXT and RT options as an archive should be as secure as possible.

Comment

hi ted,
                      no need to apologize about not replying sooner. i am known for taking a while to get back to the forum. i understand what you are saying to do - but i am no where near ready to start using action script. i have pasted this thread into a word document, so that when i get "there", i will have a clue.

thank you
                      tracy

Comment

Working...
                      X