Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Index Tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Index Tip?

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
    Unless someone has already suggested, and the app is multi-user, on a LAN, I would look into "oportunistic record locking."

http://www.dataaccess.com/whitepaper...adcaching.html

Also, when you say "corruption," I presume you are saying you have gone to design mode and checked that the indexes are stlll there and are still spelled the same on the master app on the server..
    Nice alternative Martin. http://www.dataaccess.com/home.asp?pageid=700

Comment

Seems like a Ray in capetown style, Okey, nice original advice, go back to post number 19 and you will find 2 zip files, just in case you know, post your modification to solve index corruption issue.concentrate on the order application.
      1) this is borderline rude.
      2) it's your application, you do it - you have had a lot of free advice and suggestions to try.

Index employeeid name appears twice
      You have a Recno named Indx
      Last edited by Ted Giles; 08-02-2012, 04:00 AM.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by doorscomputers View Post
        Seems like a Ray in capetown style, Okey, nice original advice, go back to post number 19 and you will find 2 zip files, just in case you know, post your modification to solve index corruption issue.concentrate on the order application.
        No problem, sorry I couldn't be of any help. Good luck in your issue.
        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
          You may get problems with similar named indeces in different tables when the first 8 chars are the same.
          A while back, I posted a thread regarding index collisions (between several simultaneously open tables). ~ Relative to both tables sharing the same index name. Reason I bring this back up is I'm experiencing index corruption when looping through a table...

To process updates as efficiently as possible, I have two loops, an outer loop and an inner loop, both fetching through two different tables, adding data from a temp table to the main table. While looping through these two open tables (via nested loop)..... On each inner loop, a search for records in a third and fourth table using exist() is performed on each inner loop. (these third and fourth tables are not even open)

When the values doesn't exist in these other tables, two separate functions are invoked to add a record to each these two other (closed during the looping process) tables. Everything works fine, except once the process finishes, these two other tables seem to have an index issue.... After the script/process terminates, when I open these third and fourth tables (viewing them with the default browse): All the records are there as expected, but the proportional scroll area is not "proportionate." ~ To fix this, I'm forced to manually rebuild the index for these tables using <tbl>.update_production_index()

I think the problem must have something to do with the exist() function, and or timing????

Note: If the ".not. exist()" evaluates to true, the invoked functions each open a table, set the table to enter mode, and adds a record & then closes the tables. I've also tried opening these other two tables (at the beginning of the script instead of within the function) and keeping them open during the entire process. While this does speed things up, this doesn't fix the issue. And a side effect is that keeping these 3'rd and 4'th tables open results in the .exist() method to not return expected results. (presumably as the table it's checking is already open?)

3 out of the 4 tables can be completely empty at the beginning of the process and this still happens. After the script terminates, the one "temp table" containing 1200 records populates these other tables CORRECTLY from anywhere from 600 to 1200 records.

Ironically, the largest table (which is looping to stay synchronized with the import table process as records are being inserted) is not afflicted with this issue. (Like the table used to import all the data, this table is also opened at the beginning of the script & kept open. ~ With enter.begin and enter.end used when necessary.) On these 3'rd and 4'th tables, there is no fetching whatsoever (and I've tried some fetch_firsts and other things etc.) Finally, I'm not opening any of these tables using a query.

All the data is correctly added to the table as expected via good old Xbasic hand written code... AND.....
          Interestingly enough: As the outer loops progress, subsequent .not. exist() results are effected by prior entries to this third table earlier in the looping process via these same 2 functions that add records to tables #3 & #4 . ~ So obviously the .exist() is working properly on newly added records, even though the indexes are having trouble "keeping up" with the loop.

I've literally tried about everything I can think of, including renaming indexes. (3 of the 4 tables share a similar index "Kfb__", so I had thought that possibly Ted's statement supporting my "index collision" inquiry was the culprit. Turns out it isn't. The only thing I haven't tried is alternate methods of inserting data, other than using <tbl>.enter_begin() & <tbl>.enter_end()......

Why do I need to use <tbl>.update_production_index()???
          (Is it required with
          Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

for one thing, you could try using batch begin and batch end - as the indexes are updated at the end of the process

also, when I moved a big app from 8 to 10, I had problems with exist() and instead used a query in the script, and that fixed it

also you could try using two different index names, although I doubt that is the issue
            Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
            972 524 8714
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
              for one thing, you could try using batch begin and batch end - as the indexes are updated at the end of the process

also, when I moved a big app from 8 to 10, I had problems with exist() and instead used a query in the script, and that fixed it

also you could try using two different index names, although I doubt that is the issue
              Thank you.... Batch begin & end are already in place for the outer loops. I hadn't tried them inside the enter begin/end functions as there are only 4 lines of code adding 4 fields enclosed by open and close. I did try renaming the indexes to no avail. I'm thinking you may be correct that the exist() method is causing timing issues..... (I will try inserting a query instead. I'll bet that will correct the problem as you suggested!) ~ Thanks Martin.

By they way: Have you ever experienced index confusion (what I referred to as "index collision" with two open tables as Ted suggested? (Both indexes with identical names like "kfb__")? ~ Just kind of curious, as my index naming is standardized across multiple tables. I keep index names @ a max of 10 as suggested. (and 8 chars is "the goal")

One related question: When is it appropriate to use/need <tbl>.update_production_index()?

Index collision thread: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...l=1#post632969
              Last edited by SNusa; 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM.
              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Personally, I have never had issues with long names, anywhere in Alpha. The only time it becomes an issue, as far as I know, is if you don't ALWAYS include all the related tables when gtransferring an update, or you open it in a folder where the supporting files don't exist.

Also, using the same index on multiple open tables has never been an issue - in a set, typically ALL related tables are based on the same key field, and thus would have/need an index on the same field.

Example, I will sometimes, in a script, open 2 co[pies of the same table, along with other tables, using the same index name on all of them. Never been an issue.

As for exist(), I'm not sure what the problem was, (timing or other,) only that when I found that that was the problem in the script, when I opened a copy of the table, and querried, and got the data in that fashion, that that fixed it. I didn't have time to tery and figure out the root cause.
                972 524 8714
                [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Martin; (PS: just love your signature! )

I'm wondering whether it's "dangerous" to leave the code as it is, an perform a <tbl>.update_production_index() at the end of the script (for the effected 3'rd & 4'th tables, or is this just "asking for trouble?" ~ The other reason I chose to use exist() as opposed to qndx.records_get() with a query on table 3 & 4 is speed. I had assumed that using exist() was faster. (I'm probably totally wrong here, but I was thinking: "one line of code with exist() vs. code to open table & execute a query.)

One thing I haven't tried is querying a table to find whether a record already exists, and with the table still open: Immediately adding a record that is "outside" the queried result set. I suspect this should work fine, as enter_begin() & enter_end() are working with the open table pointer, and not the queried results/pointer??? ~ Just thinking out loud here.....

Comment

As opposed:

I have had table names and field names trunkated to the 8 format. Not indexes or anything else though. I do not want that one again. I will comply to 8.3 for tables, sets, and anything named on disk. Just not hard and much easier than fixing a possible mess.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Where I ran into the exist() issue was in a very long, looping script, maybe 900 lines, for converting dbf data to a text format for submitting to Medicare. Interestingly enough, there was virtually no appreciable difference in speed. I doubt you will need to rebuild the indexes if you get the script working well. PS: the indexes won't rebuild if the tables are open.

If you are working with looping scripts with records in open tables in a form with embedded browses I recommend you read about get_cursor - like t=table.current(2) or t=table.get("invoicelineitems") - and t1=t.get_cursor()

Dave, I've been using Alpha since 1998, and have never had any issue with long table names, field names, etc. It only becomes an issue if you break the rules for moving data. Although in the early days indexes got truncated frequently.

Selwyn wrote a script for reindexing tables, which replaces the existing indexes with the original names, and any missing indexes that got lost by having a query or expression for a table that Alpha could not resolve. I run it in a Windows task scheduler in a maintenance adb at appropriate times, usually at night.
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

Martin,

I really wish I could remember the circumstanes that caused truncation, but it was either v5 or v7. I just can't remember. I know it caused me a lot of grief.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I remember a time when some weird circumstance would cause field rules to get totall messed up, scrambled, etc. But I don't think the cause was ever discovered. But I haven't seen it for several years.

The main way that table and field names can get messed up is if you transfer the dbf's without the dd's - but the layouts will also not be updated either. And if there are fpt's, and you don't also transfer them, too, the fpt's will corrupt. There may be other circumstances that could cause the long field and table names to be truncated, but that is the only reason I am aware of.

Way back in the DOS days, we were limited to 8 characters - was a real real real pain.

But there could also been a period when Alpha was doing it in some weird circumstance. Most likely in V5 and 6.
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

Thanks guys;

@Martin: I am familiar with the usage of get_cursor() which deals with timing refreshes of browse data while updating underlying data of visible browses. (v9 addition?) ~ Also, is the re-indexing script you mentioned located in the code archives here?

~Robert
                            Last edited by SNusa; 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

will post here tomorrow - fixin to get some shuteye right now
                              972 524 8714
                              [email protected]

Comment

here are 2 functions - one creates a copy of the indexes, and the other recreates them

whereas Selwyn used a text file in his script, I prefer storing them in a table, as it is more flexible, and using it I can elect to filter on specific tables and only rebuild the ones I want

first - create a table named zindexes:
                                Tablename Character 32 0
                                Indexnames Memo 10 0

second - examine the indexes of ALL tables, and be sure none are missing, and none are truncated (VERY IMPORTANT)

third - run the "indexes_create" function
                                also, anytime you add new tables and/or new indexes, or remove some of the indexes, you will need to re-run the "indexes_create" function again.

last - run the rebuild function to rebuild all indexes

FUNCTION indexes_create AS L ( )
                                on error goto errors
                                t=table.open("zindexes")
                                t.zap(.t.)
                                t.pack()
                                t.close()
                                t=table.open("zindexes")
                                tables=a5.Table_Enum()
                                n=w_count(tables,crlf())
                                for i=1 to n
                                temp=alltrim(word(tables,i,crlf()))
                                gpc=get_index_definitions(temp)
                                if gpc > ""
                                if alltrim(gpc)="__A5_RECOR|RECNO()||" .or. alltrim(gpc)="__A5_RECORD__|RECNO()" .or. alltrim(gpc)="__A5_RECORD__|RECNO()||" .or. alltrim(gpc)="__A5_RECORD__|RECNO()||"
                                else
                                t.enter_begin()
                                t.Tablename=temp
                                t.indexnames=gpc
                                t.enter_end(.t.)
                                end if
                                end if
                                next
                                t.close()
                                end
                                errors:
                                err_msg = error_text_get(error_code_get())
                                line = error_line_number_get()
                                script = error_script_get()
                                ui_msg_box("Error", err_msg+" Error occurred at line "+alltrim(str(line,4,0))+ " in script: "+script)
                                end
                                END FUNCTION

'Date Created: 30-Mar-2009 08:18:36 PM
                                'Last Updated: 26-Dec-2012 02:49:32 AM
                                'Created By : martin cole
                                'Updated By : MARTIN
                                function indexes_rebuild as L()
                                dim temp as c
                                on error goto errors
                                dim shared is_shadowed as l
                                if a5.get_master_path() > ""
                                is_shadowed=.t.
                                else
                                is_shadowed=.f.
                                end if
                                if is_shadowed=.t.
                                mpath=a5.get_master_path() + chr(92)
                                end if
                                temp=""
                                datapath = a5.get_path() + chr(92)
                                dim tp as p
                                t1=toseconds(time())
                                t=table.open("zindexes")
                                n=t.records_get()
                                DIM GLOBAL pDlg1 as waitdialog
                                pDlg1.Set_Title("Please Wait")
                                pDlg1.Create(1,"Bounce")
                                pDlg1.Set_Message("Processing Indexes")
                                pDlg1.Set_Bottom_Message("")
                                m=0
                                t.fetch_first()
                                while .not. t.fetch_eof()
                                m=m + 1
                                pDlg1.Set_Bottom_Message("Processing " + alltrim(str(m)) + " of " + alltrim(str(n)))
                                temp1=alltrim(t.Tablename)
                                temp2=alltrim(t.Indexnames)
                                if table.in_use(temp1)
                                if temp1="zindexes" .or. temp1="dummy"
                                else
                                temp=temp + f_upper(temp1) + crlf()
                                end if
                                goto next1
                                end if
                                tp=create_indexes(temp1,temp2)
                                if tp.haserror
                                end if
                                next1:
                                t.fetch_next()
                                end while
                                t.close()
                                pdlg1.close()
                                t2=toseconds(time())
                                t3=t2-t1
                                if temp=""
                                time2=toseconds(time())
                                else
                                time2=toseconds(time())
                                ' ui_beep(UI_CRITICAL_BEEP); ui_yield();ui_beep(UI_CRITICAL_BEEP)
                                txt="Some tables were in use and could not be reindexed." + " " + temp
                                end if
                                indexes_rebuild=.t.
                                end
                                errors:
                                indexes_rebuild=.f.
                                err_msg = error_text_get(error_code_get())
                                line = error_line_number_get()
                                script = error_script_get()
                                ui_msg_box("Error", err_msg+" Error occurred at line "+alltrim(str(line,4,0))+ " in script: "+script)
                                end
                                isopen:
                                1=1
                                goto next1
                                end
                                end function
                                972 524 8714
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...