Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Do I have to be a subscriber to continue getting updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to be a subscriber to continue getting updates

It appears from what I have been reading that unless I agree to purchase an expensive and unwated subscription that I will no longer be able to get updated software. Is this correct?
    David Montgomery

Re: Do I have to be a subscriber to continue getting updates

I don't read it that way. I think subscription applies to getting videos and optional add-ons included.
    Check with sales if you are unsure.

Comment

Originally posted by David Montgomery View Post
      It appears from what I have been reading that unless I agree to purchase an expensive and unwated subscription that I will no longer be able to get updated software. Is this correct?
      This is from the August 22nd email promo (others were worded similarly):

So, from now until Tuesday, August 28th, we are giving you one final chance to become an Alpha Five subscriber
      It's also important to note that once the summer is over the only way that you'll be able to receive the latest software from us is by becoming an Alpha Five subscriber.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

It IS unclear what software.
        Can they deny later releases/updates for bug-fixes for a version already bought?
        That kind of makes v11 end of line.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
          It IS unclear what software.
          Can they deny later releases/updates for bug-fixes for a version already bought?
          That kind of makes v11 end of line.
          That's a good question, Ray. I don't know the answer. It's almost as if they are moving away from a version based product to a subscription based model. Although the latter is clear enough, I'm not sure about the former? If it is subscription based that suggests that any updates will require a subscription - unless they separate old bugs from new features, which I kind of doubt given the way Alpha has been providing updates.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Maybe someone who has Selwyn's ear can have him address and clarify this question/concern.
            Mike W

Comment

If that is the case then I am very unhappy. I have a licensed copies of 10.5 and 11.0. In both cases I expect to pay for enhancements but receive bug fixes for free and I know that is the case with most software that I own, if not all.

Comment

Me too Gary.
                If it's subscription based for bug fixes too, that is totally out of order.
                There is enough free time spent running down and reporting bugs as it is, so expecting us to pay for the priviledge of applying the fixes is a step too far.

I use a products provided by Quest and also Visual Paradigm and both are free but with enough functionality to give me what I need. I get free updates as well.
                Neither does what Alpha does, as they are SQL and UML products. They are however, much more complex.

I have to predict that the subscription route will be short term, and I for one won't pay for stuff I don't need.

Lenny might pull rank on me and remove this post (he's closed me off before), but I have seen the swing to WAS and exciting as it is, there is only ONE license needed to run a WAS product.
                The majority of developers have a need for the single or small networked desktop arena. If I wanted to go vanilla, I'd have gone with Microsoft.

If Alpha wants to compete with M/soft then design something that knockes the SQL and Cloud based stuff into a cocked hat! Alpha is after all a user friendly RAD system and simply hasn't got the gravitas of some of the other dev kits. Sure there are big and interesting Web based applications, but I bet there are far more little apps out there with a lot of potential. Where is the Alpha support for these apps? We get marketing hype and offers of advertising apps, but as another Forum contributor has commented, "Their marketing team is insane" and there is no backup.

As an Alpha "lifer" I'd recommend that the brothers get a different business development team on side quickly. They are disappointing a lot of loyal followers, looking unprofessional and there isn't enough cash out there at the moment to fund a subscription.

Anyway, I have my toolkit (and have learned how to overcome the issues with the help of the dedicated subscribers on the Forum), and am happy to build and deploy apps using it.

Rant over.
                See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I find this very interesting. Currently I am not a subscriber and all of my production databases are running version 8. However I am in the process of upgrading to version 11. During this upgrade I am running into bugs, so I stop to document, test, and then report the bug to Alpha5. If Alpha Software decides to stop providing me with bug fixes, because I did not subscribe, then I fail to see any benefit of reporting bugs back to them. My time will be better spent developing a work around instead.
                  Andrew

Comment

+1
                    See our Hybrid Option here;
                    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                      +1
                      I LOVE this tag: "The outcome of a rain dance has a lot to do with the timing"

Also waiting to an answer to the OP's question...

Comment

A subscription entitles you to all feature packs, videos courses, new versions etc
                        you do not need to be a subscriber to get bug fixes and new builds that may include updates

I hope that clarifies the situation.

The case for being a subscriber is the following - if you are a professional developer you probably want to make sure you always have access to the most recent version of the software and the full suite of feature packs ( right now there here is the list of feature packs http://alphafivefeaturepackswithpricing.blogspot.com/ )
                        It is simply much more economical to get all this through a subscription than by purchasing separtely
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Thanks Richard. Nice succinct answer.
                          I'm happy again (but isn't it about time for an update?)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                            A subscription entitles you to all feature packs, videos courses, new versions etc
                            you do not need to be a subscriber to get bug fixes and new builds that may include updates

I hope that clarifies the situation.

The case for being a subscriber is the following - if you are a professional developer you probably want to make sure you always have access to the most recent version of the software and the full suite of feature packs ( right now there here is the list of feature packs http://alphafivefeaturepackswithpricing.blogspot.com/ )
                            It is simply much more economical to get all this through a subscription than by purchasing separtely
                            Q) Best part of Alpha5?
                            A) They respond to customer concerns.
                            Andrew

Comment

Working...
                            X