Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

sort report with detail level field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sort report with detail level field

hello,

i created a report that has 2 groups: country, then state.
    the detail section has prospect (potential customers) records. one of the prospect fields is the last contacted date, which is on the report.

i want to sort the detail records by the last contacted date, but can't figure out where the option is to do this.

i've looked on the group properties dialog box and didn't see an option.

on the detail properties dialog box, the order expession is set to the last contacted date field, with the ascending option selected, but the detail records are not sorted on the date field. i don't know where else to look for an option to sort the detail records.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you
    tracy

Re: sort report with detail level field

I find this kind of question much easier to answer with sample data and sample report to work with. How about attaching everything needed to design / run your report?

Comment

Tracy

Tom is correct that an example will fill in the gaps of what is really happening without guessing..

For an initial guess though, I'd look at the size of the fields in the table. The report sorting has an internal limit of 240 characters of combined length of all sort fields..

So if you add the length of the field(s) in each group break with the length of the field(s) in the detail group, the max is 240. If you exceed 240, the first thing to not be sorted properly is the detail section, since it is last in line to be sorted.......

BTW, it's also helpful to mention if you are using dbf or SQL tables...
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

hello,

i hope that this is what you are looking for.

the dbf table has these fields: name, address, city, state, zip, country, last contact date

report layout

group 1 country

group 2 state CA

detail records for state with these fields: last contact date, name, etc

the records currently are displayed in any date order like this
        3/3/12
        2/10/11
        6/4/10

i want the records sorted in this order
        6/4/10
        2/10/11
        3/3/12

group 2 state IL

group 1 country

group 2 state

my question is where is the sort option for the detail records?

thank you
        tracy

Comment

Tracy that helps a bit, but I was hoping you'd attach the sample tables and your report layout.

Have you learned how to create a zipped copy of your database using the built-in tool yet?

Have you learned how to attach the zipped copy to a reply here?

If not now is a good time to learn, so let us know if you need assistance.

-- tom

Comment

hello,
            i don't know if i am making this more complicated then it is.

i was just wondering if there is an option for reports that lets you sort the records that print in the detail section of the report in ascending or descending order of data in a field.

on the records tab on the detail properties dialog box, i created an order expression and selected ascending, which i thought was for sorting records in the detail section of the report, but the records are not in the order that i was expecting.

i haven't tried, but i suspect that this can be done by writing code, but i am trying to stay away from writing code at this point.

tracy

Comment

i created an order expression and selected ascending
              And what was that order expression?
              There can be only one.

Comment

There is a 240 character limit of sorting that is determined by adding the length of all of the fields sorted.

That means that each group (if sorted) and the detail order fields need to be added together for a total length of the 'sort' field.

If the length is longer than 240, you need to change some of the fields so the proper sorting is done..

The first indication that you've exceeded 240 is details don't 'seem' to sort. It could also be groupings don't break properly and look like they are 'running amok'
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD
                Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

In the properties of group you have the option to change sort. By default the sort field is the field defined by group change Clip_2.jpg
                  You can change that by selecting new field in the "Specify order" section at the bottom of the window.
                  Dragan Milosavljevic
                  ITPartner

[email protected]
                  http://www.itpartner.rs

Comment

Tracy,
                    While there are sort options within the group properties as Dragon pointed out, the approach I normally take involves the report filter/order expressions. When groups are involved, they must take precedence over the detail section. In your case, try to sort all records by an expression such as:

Country + State + dtos(date)

This should have your detail section in date order. By this approach, you are sorting ALL records for the report rather than concentrating of the sort for a specific section.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X