Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Activation problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activation problem

I've had some computer problems recently and had to re-install windows (and replace a motherboard, 3 hard drives, a mouse, and a graphics board - but it was only a minor issue) and now I can't activate versions 9, 10, or 11. (I think that's the right 3) The earlier versions apparently already had the activation file included in my backup but not these.

I have no problem with internet access but these versions can't access Alpha's "secure.alphaonline.<something>" server to get activated.

Anyone have any ideas? Or can anyone confirm that the Alpha server is working - thus the problem would be on my end. (The way everything else has been going lately, it's probably something on my end but I have no way to be sure.)

Re: Activation problem.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...l=1#post622906

See Post#4
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 10-21-2012, 10:28 AM. Reason: link directly to noted post
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I saw that. But it's a little hard to restore something I don't have. I have backups of all my data but saw no reason to backup the "C:\User" files since re-installing my programs will also re-install the User files.

I really, really hope you're not trying to tell me they won't activate A5v11 anymore. If so, they will go out of business in about one day.

Something is very strange here. Even with my security setting on None and the firewall deactivated, I still get the attached message.

A bit later:

Oh MAN! I really love computers! After typing the above, I went to get the screenshot of the warning message and things changed again! This time A5v11 activated with no problem but A5v9 and A5v10 still won't activate.
      Attached Files

Comment

Have you wiped the old drives ?
        With what you have replaced, in the UK it would be easier and cheaper to build a new unit.
        I have 1tb drive which I load important info onto - including backups and installation files.
        When I have had issues before, Alpha can usually resolve them, but not over a weekend.

I'll PM you about the activation key.

Comment

Can't wipe the old drives. They don't work anymore. Can't even reformat them.

Yeah, basically I have built a new unit. The only things that weren't replaced were the box itself, the power supply, the DVD drive, the On/Off button, and the front USB/sound ports. Oh, and the new eSATA board I bought about 2 weeks ago. If I would have known where this would end up, I would have just bought a new computer. Unfortunately, it started with one item and cascaded down hill rapidly.

At this point, I think the only choice I have is to laugh. Oh well, at least I still have a few Gb of unused storage available even if it is only 4579 Gb kicking_n_laffing.gif (that sounds bigger then a measley 4.579 when expressed in Tb) and I didn't have to buy a new copy of Win7.

Comment

Can it get any worse???

Since I was having so much trouble I decided to re-install A5v10. Now....
            - I can't get the About dialog to open.
            - I can't get the Request an Activation dialog to open. (So I can't even see the "request an activation on line" button.)
            - The "Recent Databases" list doesn't show any recent databases and can't be edited.
            - The Database Properties settings do nothing.

I'm starting to think there is some kind of access/security issue involved here but can't figure out what it is. I already turned off the firewall and the UAC.

Comment

Suggestions. Apologies if you have done all this but just to be sure;

The new computer and the one you junked are the same name?
              Install V10 in a folder outside of the Program Folders, and when you run the install, right click and choose Run as Administrator
              When the install is complete, you may well get a message saying it didn't install properly. Ignore it.

If you try to run it now, you may get a message to say that the application cannot be used on this operating system, so;

The Alpha Icon should apprea on your desktop. Right click and Check Compatability. Follow the instructions and you should not need to make any changes - just accept the suggestions.
              If this works, you can add the last V10 patch.

If this doesn't work, then you may need to remove the original V10 and delete the Registry items for it and try again.

Last option. I have a small 80 gig drive - in a case - which is really just a laptop disc which is run through a USB cable.
              Your PC guy should be able to make you up a wiring harness to get the data off the old drives but if not, he should be able to plug the drive in at his shop and get the data you need off it.
              Unless it's completely wrecked which is unusual.

Comment

Tried it all. Even deleted all the v10 CLSID keys in the registry. And the hard drives are dead and gone - unreadable and even unformattable. I suspect all the crashes I was having originally caused the heads to damage the drives themselves.

The activation issue I could sort of understand. The idea that things like "Recent Databases" and the "About" dialog don't work now seems ridiculous. They worked when I originally just copied the A5 files to the new hard drive, registered the dll and ocx files, and ran A5. After actually running the A5 install routine, the other stuff quit working as well. I even removed all the registry entries I could find again and just copied the files over. Things still don't work. Makes no sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                  Things still don't work. Makes no sense to me.
                  Thanks for posting about this Cal.

I can't offer you even a suggestion, but - despite your experience and knowledge you regularly share with those of us that are more limited - hearing about the problems even someone like you can face will make me feel I am not alone when next I am close to pulling my hair out where what I want to do doesn't bear much resemblance to what actually happens.

As an aside, we moved offices and re-instated the same network using the same machines and same router. For some unfathomable reason, our newest machine at the time (Vista) refused to acknowledge the existence of the server or other machines (all XP). Even had a techie guy phone in remotely with all sorts of analytical software to sort it, and after 2 hours nothing worked and he gave up. In the end, having looked a the time and disruption this was causing us, decided it would be cheaper to buy a new machine as a replacement, Windows 7 being out by then. Took the Vista machine home to replace my ageing one, and it instantly recognised my home network - despite it being all XP! Go figure.

Here's hoping you get it sorted.

David

Comment

Please update us on which versions are not activating. If I followed this correctly version 9 and 10 cannot activate. Version 11 did activate.

For version 9 and 10 uninstall using the add/remove programs option in the control panel
                    Download CCleaner, install it, then run it. Choose the registry cleaning/fix tool keep running that until no more registry errors are found.

Install version 9. Open the folder where you installed version 9. Right click on the version 9 alpha5.exe select properties, Compatibility tab, Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and then select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" Click Ok to close the dialog box.

Right click the version Alpha5.exe and select "Run as Administrator". Hopefully you will get your activation prompt and be able to activate.

Let us know what happens.
                    Andrew

Comment

Only two small suggestions.

1. if you have a phone line connected to a modem, make sure there is a suppressor on it. I have repaired way too many computers where the surge came in through the phone line and modem. That was what happened to me this time. Modem, MB, ( i did the case for the power supply), 1 hard drive(of 2), memory

2. with so much damage, replace the power supply or case and power supply. better thirty to sixty or so dollars than so much(again)

Now, if the computer is named the same as the old one and you are having problems not resolved here. Call alpha. I had to do the same a few months ago and there was no delay getting it covered with a phone call. Of course, it was on a tuedsday in the daytime.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

RESULTS:

Apparently my problems originated with the graphics board. It was causing the computer to shut down instantly - as though someone had pulled the plug. The first time it happened I thought it was just a fluke. Then it started happening once every 2-3 days, then once a day, then multiple times a day as I was waiting for the new motherboard to arrive. (The local computer store told the the motherboard was bad.) I think the multiple shutdowns are what destroyed the hard drive(s?). The second drive was an older drive from a previous computer that was basically just a "backup of the old stuff just in case" and was seldom used. It may have been bad before all these issues started or may have died during one of the first "instantaneous shutdowns" without me being aware of it.

Activation:

I finally found an old backup that had my activation keys. Once I installed those activation keys, EVERYTHING started working correctly again. The 'About' box works now, the list of 'Previously Opened Databases' works now, and the 'Database Property' settings work now. I can't tell if the 'Request an Activation' button works because it's not there anymore.

I contacted Alpha and they said they could provide activation numbers for A5v7 and later but weren't sure they could provide them for A5v5 or A5v6.
                        I don't know of anybody that is still using A5v6 (just out of curiosity I'd be interested to know if anyone is) but I do have one customer of my own that is still in A5v5 and I still use a few v5 apps myself (my password/registration info and a computer 'how to' db) because they open so fast. Also, many of the customer lists for my addon routines are still in v5 but they are slowly being converted to a newer v10 app (that probably works fine in v11 also).

Comment

Cal,

Just for the record:

Many years ago, an attorney asked me to retrieve data from a drive that was not working(no one else would try). I GUESSED it was the electronics on the drive. I got another exact same drive and swapped the disks to it and it worked long enough for me to get the data off. It was , but worth it to him(and me).
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Re: Activation problem

Thanks Dave. That's a good thing for people to be aware of.

Unfortunately, in an attempt to keep from getting too wordy, I didn't mention that the 3rd hard drive failure was one that was in the old RAID drive all my data was on. Consequently, I didn't actuallly lose any data - I just had to install the new drive and let the RAID system rebuild itself. Only Windows and my other programs had to be re-installed and that would have been necessary even if data had to be recovered from a hard drive.

(For those like me who aren't familiar with RAID, I was able to continue working even with the one bad drive. If a second drive in the 4-drive RAID system had failed, I would have lost data. As it was, I was able to keep working with the bad drive. And after installing the new drive, I was still able to keep working while the RAID system was rebuilding. The rebuild took about 3-4 hours even though the actual data was only about 140 GB. The new drive itself was 1.5 TB and the total RAID size is 4 TB. FWIW, my RAID drive says it's hot-swappable but I didn't take any chances - I shut down, replaced the drive, and restarted.)

I don't think the hard drive crash in the RAID had anything to do with the rest of the issues. The RAID drives are not new and the drive that failed may even have failed before the other issues started. All I know for sure is that I noticed the red light on the drive shortly after the first "instant shutdown" occurred. At that point I didn't even know if the shutdown was just a fluke.

I know there are other methods that could be tried to retrieve data from a hard drive. But, since the data itself wasn't lost, the only issue was activating the older versions of A5 and it wouldn't have been worth the expense of trying the other methods.

Comment

Re: Activation problem

Can someone spell out how to activate version 7 for me. I have been through a few machines with no problems, but now I get the same error message Cal has posted - "cannot contact the server". My last hard drive crashed so I have a new hard drive and am trying to get all my software active again.

All I have is my license number, and the link to download the version 7 from Alphasoftware (which was "contacted" just fine, downloaded very easily).

It was an upgrade from version 5, maybe I got version 6 with a free upgrade to 7 if I recall - it's been a while.

And no, I don't need version anything else - every time I upgrade I have to rewrite stuff and I really don't want to do that - I don't get paid to do that. I just use the app to run my business and it works great as it is.

I did send an email yesterday asking Alphasoftware how to proceed, but so far all I hear is crickets. So I thought I would ask here seeing this forum was always so active.

I do not have any way to access old activation keys. All I have is my emailed receipt with the license number.

And yes - I have the same machine name. I know about this, changed it before I even downloaded the install file. Also that would cause a different error message if I recall.

Comment

Working...
                              X