Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Developer and Runtime both give errors on start-up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developer and Runtime both give errors on start-up.

Ok, I have had version 10.5 for awhile and never had any problems but I purchased version 11 the other day and both the developer and the runtime give the following error on start up if I do not right click and "run as administrator" each time.

This is the error I get.

Errors during load.
    Error running addin "startup_xdialog_context': Could not open OLE object 'a5contexteval.contexteval.11'

If I continue and then try to open a "WorkSpace" it will not run the autoexec.

I installed both the Developer and Runtime as "Administrator" but I still have to "Run As Administrator" every time I start either one of them.

I am afraid that this may also be the case on deployed apps if I cannot figure this out and that makes Version 11 useless.

Re: Developer and Runtime both give errors on start-up.

Details please.

Operating system?
    Directory path to the workspace?
    Directory path to Alpha program?

Error running addin "startup_xdialog_context': Could not open OLE object 'a5contexteval.contexteval.11'
    Generally has to do with a dll not registering properly during the Alpha install, I believe.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      Details please.

Operating system?
      Directory path to the workspace?
      Directory path to Alpha program?

Generally has to do with a dll not registering properly during the Alpha install, I believe.
      Operating system = Win-7 Professional SP1 32 bit
      System = AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 5600+ 2.91 GHz with 4gb memory
      Path to workspace = c:\quickquote (but it does it with any as I have several)

Path to Alpha Programs.
      Developer = C:\Program Files\a5V11
      Runtime = C"\Program Files\a5V11 Runtime

I know with V10.5 you ran them the first time as administrator and it registered all the dll files. Seems that is not happening with V11

Comment

You'll find a few discussions if you search on a5contexteval.

Try this as a batch file.

regsvr32.exe "c:\alpha\a5v10 runtime\a5contexteval.dll" /s
        There can be only one.

Comment

I did both of these and no luck.

regsvr32.exe "c:\alpha\a5v11 runtime\a5contexteval.dll" /s
          regsvr32.exe "c:\alpha\a5v11\a5contexteval.dll" /s

Comment

Well I tried everything I could think of trying to register these files.

A5ContextEval.dll
            SimpleChart4Lite.dll
            Codejock.SuiteCtrls.v11.1.3.ocx
            Codejock.PropertyGrid.v11.1.3.ocx
            Codejock.PropertyGrid.v11.1.3.ocx
            Codejock.TaskPanel.v11.1.3.ocx

I even Checked and re-registered them with RedDLLView and no luck.

I am at a loss.

Comment

I would contact support.

setup.png
              There can be only one.

Comment

Preston, send me a zipped copy of the app.
                No interest in the design or data.
                I also have the V11 offer just loaded.
                [email protected]
                See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ok, got it figured out.

Go to the widows control panel, Open "User Accounts" and then select "Change User Account Control Settings". The pull the slider all the way down to "Never Notify" and click ok.

Now re-install Alpha 5 V11 (Developer and Runtime) as administrator and then restart your computer.

Seems you need to turn of UACS when installing some programs that are not Windows Certified for your operating system so it is not a problem with Alpha (other than seemingly not being Windows certified) but more a Windows problem trying to control things for you.

Comment

Well the info I posted above is a band-aid that support told me to try and it works. Until you set the UACS back to the default setting that windows wants. Then it stops working again. So that basically means V11 is useless for creating distributions for apps until and if Alpha fixes their dll and other files that are causing the problems. I cannot tell my customers they have to turn the UACS off on the user account becasue that screws other things up and is why I turned it back on only to find out that V11 will not run correctly anymore with it on.

I am really wondering if the issue is a bug in a last minute fix they tried to do to make V11 Windows 8 Compatible.

And then again I may just try and re-install it again.

Comment

We have successfully loaded the V11 Runtime on at least seven assorted client PCs XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win8 without changing the UAC levels and no special install methods other than loading C++ and .NET. I can give you a link to download our V11 Runtime installer if you think this may help. We are using the attached build so this should prove if it is a build bug. I also add that we always install away from Program Files.

v11build.jpg

Michael
                      Last edited by Michael Humby; 11-17-2012, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
                        We have successfully loaded the V11 Runtime on at least seven assorted client PCs XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win8 without changing the UAC levels and no special install methods other than loading C++ and .NET. I can give you a link to download our V11 Runtime installer if you think this may help. We are using the attached build so this should prove if it is a build bug. I also add that we always install away from Program Files.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33847[/ATTACH]

Michael
                        PM me a link to download it. Both the Developer and Runtime Plus I have are build 3044 so that would let me test if it is something that happened when they changed the build.

Comment

Be sure the actual app is not in program files - but in a folder on C:\
                          If you are running shadowed, Alpha will by default put the shadow in the user's My Documents
                          this can create problems if you have different users - the fix is to put the app in a folder on drove c:\ - that way the user is irrelevant
                          Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
                            Be sure the actual app is not in program files - but in a folder on C:\
                            If you are running shadowed, Alpha will by default put the shadow in the user's My Documents
                            this can create problems if you have different users - the fix is to put the app in a folder on drove c:\ - that way the user is irrelevant

I did not get time to test with you app today so I will try and do it tomorrow.

My problem is not with the apps at all. It is with the actual developer and runtime just starting them up without even selecting a database to load.

I think I will try and install them on my laptop tomorrow also and see it they work ok there. That will tell me if it is a problem the the 3044 build or just something flaky on my desktop computer.

Comment

The link that I sent you does NOT load an app, only the V11 runtime engine. If you run the installer accepting all the defaults it will load a V11 runtime engine into c:\Datamove folder, go into the folder and try running the engine using the Alpha.exe

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X