Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Changing all field values in one field of a table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing all field values in one field of a table

When I start a new project, I would like to post about 30 records from a table (typical table) to the master table that contains the records for all of the projects as a kickoff for the new project.

The typical table has two character fields, with about 30 records , the job # which links it to the new project as well as a unique description for each record.

Before posting the records, I would like to change the project # of all of the typical records to match the new project number.

I presently have a button on a form that sets up other field values for the new project and I would like to incorporate the change of job number in the typical table as well as the posting of records into this button but I do not know if there is a routine to change a field value for all of the records in one field of the typical table.

Larry

Re: Changing all field values in one field of a table

Larry,

There is an Update routine you can use, I find this very useful to do just what you are describing. Get the value of "new project number" into a variable and use that as the expression in the Update.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith, I think I found what you were suggesting in the "operations" department.

I created an operation with an ask variable that allows me to update one or more fields in all of the records of my typical table. Once updated, I can then post them to the master table

Thanks and now off to do an "operation" on the wife's car.

Larry

Comment

Larry, let me offer a word of caution. An update operation is fast and effective. However, more than any other aspect of Alpha Five these types of batch operations have caused me more grief than any other. Why? Because they do what I tell them to do, not (sometimes) what I want. My rule now is simple. Never run a batch update operation without making at least two good backups (on separate media) before pulling the trigger.

Comment

Tom, you sure know how to spoil a party
          I thought this would make life easier and now I am on the fence wondering which way to jump.

Is the problem that you have seen with the update or also with the posting. If I loose my update table, no big issue as it is only 20 records with 3 fields. If I loose my working file because of a post I am definitely not happy.

And the operation on the car is still ongoing. (negative short term fuel trim)

Larry

Comment

Larry, did not mean to alarm, just to warn. A correctly defined update operation will behave correctly. An incorrectly defined update operation will create a terrible mess. Be careful, that's all.

Comment

Larry,

Tom is giving you best advice, which basically is, test and test again until you are perfectly happy. That is you now know exactly what you are doing and you are getting the right result, every time. Or to put it another way, never test on live data.
              Regards
              Keith Hubert
              Alpha Guild Member
              London.
              KHDB Management Systems
              Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Tom, it's, good to know that it will most likely will work out with no issues although now Keith has me thinking a bit more as I do a lot of live rev's at work.

Thanks guys for the heads up and I you will probably hear about my woes if things go wrong.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by GMLMECH View Post
                  Tom, it's, good to know that it will most likely will work out with no issues although now Keith has me thinking a bit more as I do a lot of live rev's at work.
                  That's exactly why I built a backup routine that just backs up my data or application (*.dd*, etc.) files. I once went to a customer's location and made some changes to his data AFTER asking if they had a backup that could easily be restored. I even told the customer I was very concerned that what I was doing might not work out. It didn't! When I told him we would have to restore from the backup, his response was something like, "OK, I'll call our IT guy and he'll probably come in tomorrow to restore it." My customer wasn't upset but I certainly was! Now I would have to make another trip in the next day to finish the work.

I vowed that I would never let something like that happen to me again. So I built a backup routine that can be used with any application and include it with every application I create. (I also put it in the Addins_installed folder on my development computer so it works with any application someone sends me to check out/debug/whatever. I don't even have to add it to their application; I just open the app and type bkup_app_zip() in the Interactive Window.) Now I can simply run a Data and/or Application backup before making changes to the Data or the Application then restore the backup immediately if necessary.

Sure, I could just copy the whole folder to another temporary/backup folder but it's a lot easier and faster to run an automated zip backup of just the data or just the application files so I can restore only those files necessary if there's a problem. It beats the heck out of selecting them one at a time from a backup folder. And if I only want to restore a specific file or files, that's easy to do also. Plus, I now have a backup routine that the customer can use by just clicking a button on the application's Utilities menu. (And some of my smarter customers actually use it!)

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words!
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                    X