Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Dbf Server Requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dbf Server Requirements?

How do I setup a server for my application using dbf? what is the recommended hardware requirement to make the network faster aside from shadowing?

Re: Dbf Server Requirements?

Jet,

You will get a lot of suggestions on this one. Just sort through.

A desktop server is simple. The fastest with the most memory you can afford in the budget. I have run it on a win 98 to a 2008 ms server platforms and as little as 512k memory(not recommended). The network should be as fast as possible.

All your server consists of is the data with supporting files. That would be like the application. Not the alpha developer or runtime. Place the app in a shared folder so the other computers can access it. go to one of the other pc's and setup your shadow.

Speed of the server and speed of the network makes speed for the application.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Jetson, there is a lot of information missing in your question. What is your "network" exactly? What system software is it running (Windows Server, Novell etc)? How many workstations, how many users?

If you want to make "the network faster" then you also need to look at the network itself. What switches do you have. What cables. Do you run CAT5, or FIBER ? What are the lenghts of the network cabling involved, how far away are the workstations?

If you go for maximum speed and maintainability, an option is some servers balanced running 1 VMWare pool, on which you have your clients running on VMWare PC's. In that case you can use thin clients and have much less traffic over the network and in the end will be faster (if you use good server hardware that is!).'
      I actually once did a test with a professional test setup involving 3 full size servers, 10 thin clients and 10 powerusers. The test showed a better performance as the normal network setup with optimization/shadowing. And when you add up the low maintaince costs involved and better control over the hardware (security: no one can have fast access to a local hard drive) that is a winning situation. But I have told you this before: it is all in the budget and requirements. What do you have to spend, and what do you need to achieve. Your question does not make that clear enough to provide some decent advice unfortunately.

Comment

Jetson,

Marcell gave and asked very well.

I have a car dealer who has an off the shelf switch that has 2 more switches attached to that, a win2003 server with a 500 gig ata drive, 2gig mem and single core processor, 28 users of the application, all varying workstations. cat 5 is wiring is all through the dealership. server Is in the rear center of a 5500 sq ft bldg. and work stations are mostly in the front. He is very happy with performance. This is not a small application. somewhere around 450,000 main records, not including smaller tables.

Remember that memory/speed on the workstations matters greatly. especially when shadowed.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Also Dave, what people sometimes forget is the "user speed" that is of interest. Not all applications are made in the same way. Let me give an example: if you have an application that mainly searches databases and presents results on the screen where people do something with (talk on the phone and discuss the results with customers something like that) that is quite a different situation then if you would have a room with 10 data typists who are rapidly entering data. In the first example, the user is relatively slow because of the character of his work, whilst in the second example the user is very fast. That is of influence if you consider what is needed to reach a certain level of "user satisfaction". Because the latter is in the end what determines if the "app is slow" or not.

Comment

Also Dave, what people sometimes forget is the "user speed" that is of interest. Not all applications are made in the same way. Let me give an example: if you have an application that mainly searches databases and presents results on the screen where people do something with (talk on the phone and discuss the results with customers something like that) that is quite a different situation then if you would have a room with 10 data typists who are rapidly entering data. In the first example, the user is relatively slow because of the character of his work, whilst in the second example the user is very fast. That is of influence if you consider what is needed to reach a certain level of "user satisfaction". Because the latter is in the end what determines if the "app is slow" or not.
            That is absolutely correct.

A few of my apps are opened rarely. Some other apps are open all day on many computers where there is constant input on several and sporadic on others. Dealer apps where F&I guys stays on it for about 6 hours of a 10 hour day is taxing because of so many inputs, prints, views and other reports. Salespeople on the other hand may spend 1-2 hours input, 3 of viewing of a 10 hour day. Accounting though is fierce with 6 hours of 8 hours are spent in the app. When I add parts, body, detail and repair modules, it will get heavier and more users.
            Last edited by DaveM; 01-26-2013, 04:23 PM.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks guys, i got overwhelmed with the information that you gave. All the while I thought I can just have a Windows 7 professional OS, CoreI3 Processor, 3 GB Memory and 500 GB Hard Disk. This is the specification of the server and the workstations (10). I thought I can just share a folder of the app on one of the computers and the others can access it through shadowed database. Is my scenario acceptable? Or, Will I Install Wndows Server 2008 as the OS of the server? Will it make any difference if I just use Windows 7 Professional edition as the OS of the server? I dont know about thin clients as Marcel suggested, and I dont know TS/Citrix. While I am googling it, Please suggest more options, I just want users to access the app faster on a local area network, we are just using Cat5, a 16 port switch hub.Thanks!
              Last edited by JetLi; 01-26-2013, 08:58 PM.

Comment

You can do it as you laid it out. There is wonderful, great next level, good next level. You are probably about on the good to go level.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I agree. It can be astonishing what speed I have 20+ users invoicing on a similar platform.
                  Keep month end reports and system wide searches etc, well indexed (not temporary indices) and run outside of busy times. or on a copy system.

Oh - I wouldnt share one of the peer computers as the server - that user could have a problem that requires reboot - definitely MUST dedicate one PC that is not in use except to serve, and put in a RAID. And the client should have a DP person and not call you out for every hardware hiccup.

You will probably find that a high performing data server box would cost less than a pc
                  Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 01-27-2013, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Ray, May you please explain what is a data server box?

Comment

Whilst you doubtlessly can McGyver it all together as you said, I would recommend (if you are getting into networking solutions more permanent and this is not an incident) that you acquire some basic networking knowledge. There are decent courses for that, that will provide you with basic networking knowledge. That is a good investment.

A data server "box" is called "a box" by Ray because it does not do anything else then functioning as a data server hence has no high end consumer gadgets inside.

However, there is a major difference between PC's (that you can run as a server) and Server grade hardware. The fact that you CAN does not necessarily mean you SHOULD. A PC is nothing more then that: a personal computer, suited and designed for PERSONAL use. NOT designed and suited to run as a Server. Servers are better and more robustly build, can handle more heat and are built to run 24x7. A PC is not. So although it might work, you are bound to get technical problems with a pc functioning as a server. As Ray already said, some Servers are nowadays cheaper then a PC. Look at for instance Dell's PowerEdge series tower-servers or HP's ProLiant series also tower-servers.

As far as I am concerned the bottom line is, that Windows 8 (for instance) will perfectly function as a cheap, effective home server, but in a business environment their is much more at stake then just getting the wheels rolling. You are talking user management, security, continuity, connectivity and a lot of other issues that are better covered using dedicated network software like Windows Server 2012 or Novell Open Enterprise Server.

Again, it's all about two things: Budget & Requirements. You should probably first make a list of the requirements of your customer and go from there.

Comment

For 10 pos terminals? pah - piece of tackie bottome end example about 300 US add your choice of MB RAM CPU
                        P4304XXSFCN NEW Intel� P4304XXSFCN (UP) Small Chassis - Fixed 365W PSU, 4U, 1x 92mm rear chassis fan,
                        Supports up to 4 Fixed SATA Drives, Without Power Cords
                        Supported Server Mainboards: Intel� S1200BTS, S1200BTL (ONLY)
                        Start out testing that and you will be driven from there if it slows people down. I doubt that - whilst in a sales form most is buffered locally.
                        IMHO but with the reservation that it is a trial setup - I dont know how your software is designed.
                        Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 01-27-2013, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Will I still use Windows 7 Professional on the Server or Windows Server 2008 0r 2012? Will it make a difference on Speed? I used windows 7 and just shared a folder of my app and shadowed it on the other PC's.As what Dave says, It is good enough.

Comment

See Alpha Five Hardware tips on my tip page.
                            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                            New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Jetson,

Any time you can afford or have any of the ms server os above 2000, use it.

In the 1980's there was much discussion about running a pc 24/7 or shutting it down every night. It was not ever settled. I went into many businesses that practiced one or the other and there never seemed to be any difference.

The biggest thing with a server platform is a more rugged, cooler running computer. It is still a computer.

I use an old emachines 2.2 ghz, single core, 180 gig hd, 1 meg memory, really good lan card, extra fan, Linux os. Total investment with purchase of computer used was 200.00. It has run 24/7 for over a year. That's except when I shut it down for cleaning. Monitor is almost always off and there is no keyboard or mouse unless needed. Just a box most of the time.

I already have the replacement for it. large box - was a gaming machine, 3.5ghz 4 core, 4 gig 1300 mem, 4 fans, holds 4 sata, has 500 gig and 180 gig, onboard lan and a better lan card. Total investment 425.00. I currently use as my development machine. This should really speed up my network in a year or so.

Notice I did not mention video or cd as they do not matter.

It is best to get a really good switch box to connect everything. I use a wireless d-link with 4 cat5 connectors, but would not put that in a business relying on it. My work parts are all hard wired(not wireless) with cat5. Some day, I may do the fiber optic. I helped a friend do this and he had over 200 heavy users on novell, That alone almost tripled the speed.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X