Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Runtime Installs SQL Server System CLR Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runtime Installs SQL Server System CLR Types

The current version of the runtime now installs the Microsoft "SQL Server System CLR Types", further complicating the runtime install.

Does anyone know if this is required for some current or anticipated function of the runtime itself or are they just trying to make connection to SQL Server easier? If it's not required for the runtime itself, I'd sure prefer if a less bloated version (the runtime exe is currently at 123 megs) was made available.
    Finian

Re: Runtime Installs SQL Server System CLR Types

Finian,
    I installed 12 new full versions, recently, on a variety of machines. I noticed that on some, Alpha could NOT install the SQL Server, but that it did not affect my app, as I do not use any web features, etc. Not sure, but suspect this is related only to web apps.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

Martin:

Interesting. Yes, I think for most instances it will be a complete non-issue.

I'm trying to set up the run time install in Astrum (the installer) with as few interruptions as possible and this one is a real pain since it has one those Microsoft License windows the user has to check. A pain.
      Finian

Comment

Finian,
        Yes it is. Also, I found if you put a (space) /s after the install exe, it will do the alpha install quicker and no user intervention. It still don't hide all the ms stuff though. Maybe we can find all the files from MS and they can also be made silent?? we can install them first??
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Since I believe the whole .Net framework issue is new I wanted to post this information I know it is a bit outside of the install question. I am also not sure how this all ties into A5 and if it does what possibilities it opens up, but here is a bit of what MSDN says about SQL Server CLR. There are reasons a person may want to consider CLR and installing it.

" The common language runtime (CLR) is the heart of the Microsoft .NET Framework and provides the execution environment for all .NET Framework code. Code that runs within the CLR is referred to as managed code. The CLR provides various functions and services required for program execution, including just-in-time (JIT) compilation, allocating and managing memory, enforcing type safety, exception handling, thread management, and security.
          With the CLR hosted in Microsoft SQL Server (called CLR integration), you can author stored procedures, triggers, user-defined functions, user-defined types, and user-defined aggregates in managed code. Because managed code compiles to native code prior to execution, you can achieve significant performance increases in some scenarios....

Transact-SQL is specifically designed for direct data access and manipulation in the database. While Transact-SQL excels at data access and management, it does not have programming constructs that make data manipulation and computation easy. For example, Transact-SQL does not support arrays, collections, for-each loops, bit shifting, or classes. While some of these constructs can be simulated in Transact-SQL, managed code has integrated support for these constructs. Depending on the scenario, these features can provide a compelling reason to implement certain database functionality in managed code.
          Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# offer object-oriented capabilities such as encapsulation, inheritance, and polymorphism. Related code can now be easily organized into classes and namespaces. When you are working with large amounts of server code, this allows you to more easily organize and maintain your code."
          Last edited by jkwrpc; 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM. Reason: to reflect a OT comment
          Regards,

John W.
          www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Dave and John:

Dave, you're right, I've used the /s option before and had completely forgotten to try it. So I'll try that. If it also runs the SQL CLR thing silently, that will be great. The Astrum installer allows you to check for the .Net framework and installs it automatically. Since that happens first, the Alpha Runtime doesn't bother with it. Later ... well I tried the /s option and it runs the Alpha part silently but not the SQL CLR installation.

John: thanks for that info, that explains why it's needed. It's a little puzzling that Alpha don't do a check to see if it's already installed (it does end up with an item in the uninstall list, at least in Win 7) and then skip it if it does? Maybe it's a problem to check on all the possible OS' that they encounter and it's safer to just go ahead and do the install. Every other Microsoft installer I've looked at in the past couple of weeks has a /Q (quiet) option I wonder if it's available for this and wonder why they don't use it.
            Finian

Comment

I think alpha checks .net and c++, but not dhtml or sql . I do the .net and c++ before installing alpha with astrum that way it is done. not sure if there are switches for .net and c++ runtime. it would be nice if there was.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hmm - I wonder if there is anything in the desktop, only, that will bomb if the sql-clr is not installed?!! I think there were 3 of 12 that it lacked something - not sure what, for it to install.
                Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                972 524 8714
                [email protected]

Comment

I absolutely doubt it unless you are running ms sql. It may even be a newer version of the server that is made for the iphone stuff(just guessing)
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                  X