Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Priceless: HTML editor now broken... Always something...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Priceless: HTML editor now broken... Always something...

I always kick myself for not just ignoring and staying out of these types of conversations. Happy New Year everyone!
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      I always kick myself for not just ignoring and staying out of these types of conversations. Happy New Year everyone!
      Is it midnight out there yet???
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
        Is it midnight out there yet???
        No. 13 minutes to go.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Ted - can you provide me with a couple sample address expressions generated by your Super Control/Google Maps. Also, a screenshot of your form that includes the Super Control. Would you be able to use a solution that did not use the Super Control but still provided the same look-and-feel?
          Steve, please see attached.
          My workaround is to use MSN maps as there is no issue with that, however Google is better than MSN in many ways.
          The problem of fix distribution is embarrassing, all of a sudden my app looks like it's falling over.

Thanks for offering a different solution, but I don't want yards of code to replicate something which was very simple and working fine.
          If you can do it based on the expression in the SC Designer then I would be grateful.
          Attached Files
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

If they do ever get it fixed my 30 day trial will be over by then and I will never be able to test .....
            Preston, I had a situation recently on a client site where I insisted that they purchase V11 and in the meantime, I used the trial version.
            Well 29 days in, and the order had not been signed, so I asked Richard for an extension.
            If you contact him and explain, he may be able to do the same for the V12 trial you have.

Question.
            Does V11 have to be running to interfere with Skype, or is it a registry conflict issue?
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
              Question.
              Does V11 have to be running to interfere with Skype, or is it a registry conflict issue?
              V11 does not interfere with skype at all and V11 launches Skype for dialing out perfectly. It is V12 that screws up Skype. I will make an assumption here. I assume V12 automatically takes control of port 80 even in desktop mode by automatically launching the application server even though I told it I only wanted to do desktop development. I have no clue if the V12 runtime, if there is actually one would do the same thing.

I really do not know which way I will go from here but it again seems the bugs in V11 that cause it to be hit or mis on Windows 7 and lower are still in V12.

Comment

V11 does not interfere with skype at all and V11 launches Skype for dialing out perfectly. It is V12 that screws up Skype. I will make an assumption here. I assume V12 automatically takes control of port 80 even in desktop mode by automatically launching the application server even though I told it I only wanted to do desktop development. I have no clue if the V12 runtime, if there is actually one would do the same thing.
                Open V11 and go to Tools > Application Server, and note the Server Port. Tell us what it is. Then go to V12 do the same thing. If the Server Port in V12 is "80" change it to something other than 80, and different than the one in V11.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Open V11 and go to Tools > Application Server, and note the Server Port. Tell us what it is. Then go to V12 do the same thing. If the Server Port in V12 is "80" change it to something other than 80, and different than the one in V11.
                  I run total desktop without any browser stuff so I do not need any application server and never have it turned on in V10.5 or V11. I am guessing V12 automatically turns it on but I am not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by preston2 View Post
                    I run total desktop without any browser stuff so I do not need any application server and never have it turned on in V10.5 or V11. I am guessing V12 automatically turns it on but I am not sure.
                    Does that mean you are not going to take my suggestion even though it might resolve your issue?
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Does that mean you are not going to take my suggestion even though it might resolve your issue?
                      Steve. Right now I have V10.5 and V11. Neither interfere with Skype on port 80 . I only have the trial of V12 and I downloaded it to see if it fixed other issues in V11 not registering the codejock files, the regsvr32 a5controls.dll , a5contexteval.dll and then XBasicActiveScripting.dll file. It does not have that issue corrected as those file will still not register on some machines running Windows XP or Windows 7. I reported that problem to Alpha back when I purchased V11 and their solution was to turn UAC off. That is a totally unacceptable solution.

The question I would have on your suggestion above is that something that can be set one time in the developer so the end user that would be installing my app would not have to fight through that issue?

Comment

^^ I'll bet you're correct about this! (As Steve suggested, just change the port and see.)

The question I would have on your suggestion above is that something that can be set one time in the developer so the end user that would be installing my app would not have to fight through that issue?
                        That's a very valid point.... Even if a coder is not having issues (and is willing to / does turn off the UAC) during AA install (and also knows about possibly needing to register these dll's manually)..... These problems (which according to Preston) were submitted long ago were not addressed. (I dealt with plenty of this last year. ~ Hopefully, things that were thoroughly documented & reported did not "slip through the cracks" and are being corrected in v.12, as sales specifically noted!) According to David in sales, all the "on-hold" v.11 fixes (even on the desktop side) were supposedly not forgotten. Instead they were "put on hold" and presumably rolled into v.12.)

Issues like this may not be a "huge deal" in a development environment... But if this is something you are distributing to others: You should not expect the end user to do all of this. And more importantly: Think about the last time you tried to install something and immediately you ran into errors & installation issues..... You immediately become extremely apprehensive, thinking the software is "crap." ~ Think about "general users" who may not be as "technologically gifted" (special? ) as we are.. (How they might respond to unexpected errors/failures? How might your parents respond when issues unexpectedly arise. ~ I know for a fact that my folks used to panic and get all worried they had done something wrong. Fortunately, they have me to lend a hand.)

I'm glad I read this thread. Because if I have issues when I "finally get the courage" to install v.12, at least I'll know what to do when problems arise....
                        And even if these issues are not a huge deal..... If I run into them during install, my initial impressions of v.12 will certainly suffer!

PS: I had created an v.11 bug list (for my own reference and to to help others) here: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...come-from-all) And once I install v.12, I intend to check on some of the more recent ones which never received any attention going back 9 months or so. (Although they certainly should address all of them, I question whether the browse related bugs will be fixed. Regardless, the other ones should be, as most remain relevant.) ~ I'd at least like to get responses back from Alpha on the ones I never did hear anything about. (the more recent ones) ~ Incidentally, I have maintained a "charter subscription" since day one with Alpha. And documenting & submitting these issues (through the normal bug reporting channels along with preparing documentation and examples) took a "boatload" of time......
                        Last edited by SNusa; 01-02-2014, 05:02 PM.
                        Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Preston, I am pretty sure they meant turn off UAC, register the files, and turn UAC back on. That is a requirement for software installation other than Alpha, and depends on what O/S you are using.

On the web server issue. I was trying to get you to test out the situation on V11 and on V12 to compare. If you are all Desktop, another step you can take is go to Tools > Application Server and ensure the checkbox for Automatically Start the Server is not checked.

The problem with using the words "I assume..." (at least how I interpret it) is that many people will just assume along with you, and that it shuts down looking for solutions (again, that is how I interpret 'assume'). Alpha installations, like all good software, changes over time. So the rules change a bit as time goes forward.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
                            According to David in sales, all the "on-hold" v.11 fixes (even on the desktop side) were supposedly not forgotten. Instead they were "put on hold" and presumably rolled into v.12.)
                            See, and this is what upsets me. They knowing left things broken by putting them "on-hold" and then say the only way I will ever have a chance of getting a resolution is to keep buying or subscribing. Why should I trust them? I paid good money for a broken product that is not going the be fixed for the version I bought. It is like buying a car, finding major bugs and then being told that because I am not leasing I will have to buy next years model to have any hope the problems were resolved.

Preston, I am pretty sure they meant turn off UAC, register the files, and turn UAC back on. That is a requirement for software installation other than Alpha, and depends on what O/S you are using.

On the web server issue. I was trying to get you to test out the situation on V11 and on V12 to compare. If you are all Desktop, another step you can take is go to Tools > Application Server and ensure the checkbox for Automatically Start the Server is not checked.

The problem with using the words "I assume..." (at least how I interpret it) is that many people will just assume along with you, and that it shuts down looking for solutions (again, that is how I interpret 'assume'). Alpha installations, like all good software, changes over time. So the rules change a bit as time goes forward.
                            Steve, that is what I did and told them turning it off, registering the files and turning it back on did not work. The response from the guy on the phone was to just leave UAC off.

On the check-box to turn off Automatic start of the application server, would that setting stay set for a app I distributed with the runtime or would the end user have to be told to go into the Alpha control panel (which I hide from the) and start messing with settings?

Comment

No intentions of "rocking the boat", but "quality software" (when properly designed for the newer OS's) should respect the "rules" aka "architecture" of the OS. ~ All the "good software" I have installed in both Vista & Win-7 "respects the UAC." And when when designed properly: They run with "limited rights" & make a request for "elevated rights" whenever necessary. ~ Once these conditions are satisfied, the software usually installs & runs without incident.

I'm the first to admit, I have no idea how this happens, nor do I care to learn. "It just happens." I also concur that UAC and all the rights issues can be a "PITA!" But the whole idea behind these "jump-through hoops" is to protect the user. ~ The UAC is there for a reason, security. And without it, you're back to the XP era. So if a vendor intends to support it, they had "better do it right", or not do it all.

Also: I don't know if it's still an issue, but I did have to "give in" (many moons ago) and switch my windows login (for the purpose of using a5 without problems) to an administrative level account. I don't know if this is still an issue, but it certainly was. (And it still is for some of the add-ins like the CSDA code utility.)

As for "version support": Although I agree with Preston regarding the support/car lease analogy thing... With limited resources, I do realize that there does have to be "balance", and resources are undoubtedly limited. Regardless, it sure seems this "balance" could be improved significantly so that all builds & subscribers are "not left behind" with active subscriptions & little support. On that note: Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that v.11 was supposedly going to remain "an available option for purchase" for an indeterminate length of time? (With no apparent intentions to "fix" the ie11 update break in v.11, this makes no sense to me whatsoever.)

On a lighter note: This spring I purchased a new notebook replacement for my ageing Lenovo T61p with a "well equiped" hp8770W w/ UEFI & large SSD's. I had both Win-7 64bit & win-8 installed. Somehow during a routine update for Win-8, the Win-8 updates were "folded" into the Win-7 partition, instead of being applied to the correct Win-8 partition. (Thanks UEFI?) ~ This totally "cooked" the Win-7 installation. After "backtracking", I wiped the Win-8 partition & haven't seen Win-8 since. (Can't say I miss it either.)
                              Last edited by SNusa; 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM.
                              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

How bizarre.... To my surprise, the HTML editor began working again for reasons unknown. (I haven't installed or updated anything.) ~ Could this have been a MS Windows update issue that was corrected by a recent MS fix? (I may have made a change in a5 settings, as I had recently spent some time reviewing all the settings.)

~Possibly I "turned something off" which "removed" the conflict/problem? Regardless, I no longer get the error when clicking on the pencil for editing. Instead I have an editor that appears (at least) 100% functional/normal.
                                Last edited by SNusa; 01-05-2014, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X