Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Best way to SIMPLY Network A5 ver11 over 2 or 3 sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to SIMPLY Network A5 ver11 over 2 or 3 sites

I am trying to figure out the best way to operate A5v11 over two sites - my home and my office which are 20 kilometers apart. Simplest way I can think of is to use a memory stick to carry between both & update each via backup & restore each time. But I guess networking over the web is better, so thinking about jumping into some dreaded network solution so things stay more synchronised. But I know nothing about networks, and all the extra complications and permutations that would likely go with it, and thus greater risk of problems. I believe in the KISS principle well and truly.

I already have two separate full developer licensed copies of A5ver11 operating on two computers, but one is a laptop with Win7 Prof on it, and other is desktop with WinXP, so maybe a big problem right there. I don’t really want to upgrade the latter from XP though for many reasons to numerous to go into here.

I want the desktop at the office so its harder to steal (we had breaking recently & stuff stolen, so don’t want to leave laptop there), and laptop at home. I imagine I’d use the laptop though as “server” and desktop as “slave”.

I may want to introduce a 3rd computer for a secretary to operate a booking system later on, but for now its only me between the two sites/offices, but I guess another reason to network if I'm honest !!

I noticed one previous post talked about using "Windows Terminal Services" which fast and did not use a browser. Is that a way to go???

So any suggestions and cautions on what might be the best way to work & organise all this would be greatly appreciated, before I start with anything and getting myself into a fix.

Many thanks
    adcooke
    Last edited by adcooke; 11-14-2014, 09:32 PM.

Re: Best way to SIMPLY Network A5 ver11 over 2 or 3 sites

I noticed one previous post talked about using "Windows Terminal Services" which fast and did not use a browser. Is that a way to go???
    Yes.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Use Remote Desktop Connection in windows XP and above

Remote Desktop Connection is a technology that allows you to sit at a computer (sometimes called the client computer) and connect to a remote computer (sometimes called the host computer) in a different location. For example, you can connect to your work computer from your home computer and have access to all of your programs, files, and network resources as though you were in front of your computer at work. You can leave programs running at work and then, when you get home, you can see your work computer's desktop displayed on your home computer, with the same programs running.

Comment

I don’t really want to upgrade the latter from XP though for many reasons to numerous to go into here.
        I have used Laplink PCMover to migrate over 100 client's computers to new computers with a different operating system complete with programs, licences, and all data. It is not necessarily foolproof but any problems have been minor and easily fixed. It leaves the original system untouched and the changes to the new machine can be undone with one click so it is a relatively safe experiment. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
        Garry

Comment

I like the idea of using remote desktop for one remote station to drive another. Won't work for two remotes at same time. Won't be easy to use if the machine being driven has a dynamic IP address. LogMeIn is a reasonable choice if the machine being driven has an IP address that might change from time to time. Adcooke, does your office machine have a static IP address ?
          Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 11-15-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

If you are not going to be using both sites at the same time then the simplest solution is to put the db on google drive. I have done it this way before and it works great. If you are going to be working on the db from both location at the same time then this in not the ideal solution due to the slight lag time each computer will have syncing across google drive. This poses no problem if you are working on it at the office and then later working on it from home.

Just install google drive on both machines, put the work-space files in the google drive fold and you are good to go.

Comment

For single users, pier-to-pier connections, the Remote Desktop Connection is a possiblity as John Smith suggested but the IP address issue exists as Tom pointed out. I'd still try this first. The best one-computer-to-another link up I have found is TeamViewer. I work with a partner 5 states away regularly using TeamViewer. We used to use LogMeIn but TV is better, easier and faster. But expensive. Try it for free -www.teamviewer.com. Very easy to download, install and use. I tried the Google Drive method. It works, but there are lags. Also, believe it or not, the Google Server with Drive is clogged and not available on occassions. We moved away from this as a solution. Now, when you add a second person to the mix, theses solutions don't work. Which is where the current folks I am working with are... multi-users-multi-site. So we switch to a terminal server. Costly and not easy to set up, and requires a static IP address on the server side. But now that it's set up... great!! But the one thing I don't understand.... if it is just yourself and you have a laptop...why are you not just working through your laptop? Is it you don't want to transport it?
              Mike W

Comment

Thank you Stan - message #2
                Arthur
                Last edited by adcooke; 11-16-2014, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Sounds good, and like just what I need. Thank you John, message #3, I'll look into it.
                  Arthur
                  Last edited by adcooke; 11-16-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks you Gary - message #4. I used to use Brooklyn Bridge many moon ago, the Laplink. Works well as you say. I'll look into it pending a network like solution.
                    Arthur
                    Last edited by adcooke; 11-16-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you Tom - message #5 for the info, and I'll check out LogMein.

Re static address - Yes I think so, but because my web feed at the office comes via the landlords system, I'll need to double check.

Arthur
                      Last edited by adcooke; 11-16-2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Wow, that sound great, and for now that is the way I'd be working !! Thank you Preston - message #6 - I'll look into it.

Will have to go network though if I get a secretary into the act, because then both would be needing access at the same time.

Many thanks Preston
                        Arthur
                        Last edited by adcooke; 11-16-2014, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much for your input Mike - message #7, and I'll check out what each package costs here in Australia - far more the USA normally - eg Windows Terminal Services licences were quoted at between $800 to $1000 - bit much for where I'm at, even if it is a nice solution as most have now said.

"....why are you not just working through your laptop? Is it you don't want to transport it? " Basically yes, I'm getting old and would just like the greater ease and convenience if its not too much to achieve. Lugging that plus a heavy case of files is getting a bit much !!! Call me lazy ... but I'm ok with it !

Arthur
                          Last edited by adcooke; 11-16-2014, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for your input, much appreciated. Obviously networking is a complex business, and I am thankful for these in-principle directions and suggestions; naturally not looking for or expecting detailed instructions.

Arthur
                            Last edited by adcooke; 11-16-2014, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Have a look at Synology NAS products.
                              You can get your own server running off your router and access it from anywhere.
                              I am using one to distribute software and moving on to hosting web apps soon.
                              Not expensive and under your control.
                              See our Hybrid Option here;
                              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X