Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New Pricing structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Pricing structure

COngratulations, guys! I think the new pricing structure offers tremendous flexibilty and a very good price point for PLatinum. I will be ordering my copy this weekend.

Thanks again to Alpha for hearing us and addressing our concerns. You must've learned that from MS ;)

Dave Volgas, MD
    David A. Volgas, MD

Re: New Pricing structure

Certainly didn't address my concerns. Each application you develop for someone that uses Active Link tables will require it's own run engine.

Comment

Make that at least 2 happy people. Unfortunatly it is always hard to please everyone.
      Bill Griffin
      Parkell, Inc

Comment

That is a huge improvement, and the per site "custom" packages should keep everyone who dislikes the idea of needing per seat licenses when only a few are used at a time happy, too. I love that you can now add RTs up, this is a logical step and something that hopefully takes some confusion out of the licensing situation!

While I have my developer copy, we are still needing at least one more so I will put forward the recommendation to get a smaller RT bundle for initial trials alongside his copy, as we may well be better off with a per site license once we have a clearer idea what our needs are user count-wise.

Of course some will still not be happy, heck of course I'd prefer free runtimes or reusable ones but I do accept that the added power of active link tables (which in most cases can be limited to SOME users who need this, someone who creates their own reports and doesn't actually do data entry won't need them!) warranting a higher price, and the nature of Client Server apps (a full client server app, where only the SQL database is on the server and everything else is handled on the client) makes old style runtimes impossible to limit in user counts.

It's funny all the "hype" about client server apps really - I mean yes this is very handy for us for some things, but we've been trying to move away from a full client server system for some time, since unless you run something via an application server a lot of things that require automation are a hassle to set up!
        Last edited by NoeticCC; 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mills View Post
          Certainly didn't address my concerns. Each application you develop for someone that uses Active Link tables will require it's own run engine.
          Actually Tom - the new document (removed broken link)

Has the following in it which I believe addresses your case.

Run Engine OEM Licenses
          The Run Engine OEM License is appropriate if you have developed a "packaged" (off-the-shelf) application that requires Active-Link tables.
          Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM. Reason: removed broken link
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

Great job on the pricing. Get Version 9 for DBF files just like prior versions. If you want to step up to SQL then the customer is going to have to pay for it which seems fair. Buy the way my company will more that likely have projects for both DBF and SQL platforms and I am agreeing with seat pricing for SQL.

You also addressed a situation with SQL deployment where your seats will be much larger that active users, just call sales and see what you can work out for that specific situation.

I am sure that you can not please everyone all the time.

Jeff
            Jeff Ryder

Comment

Also CONGRATS on writing an easy to understand, comprehensive document on RT licensing! This seems to be something that has long been overdue and it's great to see this realise in just one week after the initial pricing structure went up! :D

Comment

Richard,
                Run Engine OEM Licenses
                The Run Engine OEM License is appropriate if you have developed a "packaged" (off-the-shelf) application that requires Active-Link tables.
                It sounds like the cost of this license is determined on a per application basis...but for those who may develope such applications there is a need to know (at least a ballpark figure) what the cost will be in advance....maybe with an example or so.

BTW--a MUCH more useful Runtime scenario and also not ambiguous in the explanation.
                Mike

Comment

Alpha has just regained the "trust" of the developer base. Richard, all those hours on the weekend will pay off with even greater expansion of V9.

Also, the explanation of the runtimes versus run engines is plain and simple to understand.

My congratulations to Richard, Selwyn and the Alpha Team for working on this problem and bringing it all home.

Tom Baker

Comment

I can actually use Platinum for my organization. What has been eliminated for me and (developers that wanted to target small jobs) is the possibility of producing fairly inexpensive apps for other people that don't use dbfs.

And the world is moving away from dbf's in droves.

Comment

I assume that Non Active Link Runtime installs will not require activation by the end user then?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                        Richard,

It sounds like the cost of this license is determined on a per application basis...but for those who may develope such applications there is a need to know (at least a ballpark figure) what the cost will be in advance....maybe with an example or so.

BTW--a MUCH more useful Runtime scenario and also not ambiguous in the explanation.
                        Thanks Mike -

Re your question and Tom's

If you planning on building a "packaged" application that does use Active Links - just contact our sales folks at [email protected] for the costs on this (in advance if you like) - so you can plan accordingly. As I think we have demonstrated, we want our developers to succeed because it is in our mutual interests.

You will find that costs involved do not inhibit a small developer from building "packaged" applications that use Active-Link tables.
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Sutherland View Post
                          I assume that Non Active Link Runtime installs will not require activation by the end user then?
                          That is correct Tim.
                          Richard Rabins
                          Co Chairman
                          Alpha Software

Comment

Thanks - great job...

Ordering my bundle now...

Tim

Comment

The problem isn't with packaged applications. It's just that low-cost custom applications against free databases like Access and MYSQL can't be done with Alpha now.

Low cost custom apps used to be Alpha's wheelhouse. Now they will have to continue to be done in dbf's and dbf's are dying out. That's why it was so important for Platinum to come out.

I understand. I pled my case and lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X